Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Advice on first dual sport

Go down 
+16
Captain Midnight
hamish54
taoshum
X-Racer
asheville thumper
Mr.Metal
TheBIGD
wjfawb0
RT3856
njbill
ZED
dtx
spidersoup
phroenips
yellowredlight
riata
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
riata

Advice on first dual sport Empty
PostSubject: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:44 pm

I've been riding street bikes for two years. Currently ride a Multistrada 1100. In past few months have spent four days riding dirt bikes, really liked it, and would like to do some more. Really don't want to hassle with a trailer so am thinking about a dual sport. All my friends suggest I start small, so 250 makes sense. My dealer says of the 250s the wr250r is best. Was just about set to order and another friend suggested I look at ktm. KTM 450 exc seems to have amazing reviews, several mags pick it best in class. Don't think I need a 450 but it actually weighs about 30 lbs less than the wr250r. Since I'm a noob I thought having a lighter bike would be a big advantage. If I got a ktm I'd buy used (2007) because the seat is 2-1/2 in lower than the current model and about the same as the yamaha.
But nothing is ever easy. The reviews rave about the 450 exc in the dirt, but no one seems to like it on the street. People complain about the suspension and overheating in street riding. Several reviews said it's only good for very short street connections between trails. I'm guessing I'll be 50/50 dirt/street so maybe the ktm isn't a good fit for me even though it's lighter.
Any of you have any experience with the ktm and any advice for me?
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 3:20 pm

if your new to the dirt a ktm 450 will own you. buy a wr250 (its super newb freindly), ride it, develop sick nasty skills, mod the bike and enjoy it even more!

- good luck with whatever you get

edit, the ktm is meant for racing, not for riding on the road. keep that in mind. what bike have you been riding "in the dirt"??
Back to top Go down
phroenips

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:56 pm

KTMs are notorious for extremely difficult and expensive maintenance...just another factor to consider
Back to top Go down
spidersoup

spidersoup

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 2:17 am

I spent almost two years trying to figure out which bike was right for me and I learned a lot. The first thing I will share with you is that everyone's opinion on any particular bike is uniquely their own take and biased based on what they are used to and what they like in a bike. So you have to decide what it is YOU like in a bike. I spent months looking at KTM and Husky because they seemed like they would be perfect for me. I was fortunate to try several different bikes and what I found is that I do not enjoy the "rip your arms off" race bikes. And that's what you get with those brands. I rode a TTR and KLX300 and they were MUCH easier for me to ride, based on my skill level, but also because of my comfort level. So if you want a bike you can grow into that will eventually be the cliched "woods weapon" then by all means look at the KTMs and Huskys on the market. If you want a bike you can grow into, more or less depending on your skill level, and mild and easy to manage than a bike like the WRR or KLX250S are two choices.

The last thing I will leave you with is this: I have seen so many rides ruined and bikes sold right after purchase because there is a tendency to choose too much bike. I have done this myself a few times and regretted it. Those 400's and 450s? Those bikes are wound up tight and demand to be ridden hard in the woods. You have to work to ride them.

Don't let your search be for the perfect bike. It will never end and you will be mislead by biased opinions of others. The question you should seek to answer is how do you choose the bike that's right for you? Yhe answer has a simple solution - try before you buy.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 8:37 am

phroenips wrote:
KTMs are notorious for extremely difficult and expensive maintenance...just another factor to consider

i do not see it that way,they are well sprung,well built and could be the best out the door dual sport that is made today. the yamaha is undersprung and over weight.
the 250r/x are built well and should last forever. But it is a street bike in dirt bike trim.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 11:25 am

The KTM 450 EXC has monster power compared to the wr250r/x, but it doesn't handle as well and the maintenance on it will be way worse. The KTM will make the Ducati seem lo maintenance. The WR puts them all to shame. Lube the chain, change the oil, replace the tires, ride, repeat.

In the 250-450 dual sport range the WR250x/r is probably the best compromise available today. Modern design. Good suspension. Reasonable weight. Reasonable power.

Good Luck.

Last edited by ZED on Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification of last paragraph to be dual sport rather than racing or dirt-bike)
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Recent KTM owner here. They are the best enduro race bikes made right now. If you do not mind a lot of maintenance, the KTM is the way to go IF YOU RIDE 90 to 100% DIRT. I have spent significant time on my friend's 2007 KTM 450 EXC, which is the bike referenced by the OP. It is a fantastic woods bike.

With that said, the KTM was well within my budget and I passed on it. If I wanted a race-oriented woods bike, I would purchase the Husqvarna TE310. I think you get more bang for your buck with Husky because they are trying to increase market share and doing so by under cutting KTM prices. In addition the Husky is FI. After having a FI dirt bike, I will never go back to a carb.

Good luck with your decision. Advice on first dual sport 61865
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 2:27 am

If you haven't bought a bike yet. My opinion is either the WR or the KLX.
couple reasons.
1. they aren't as expensive as the alternatives.
2. they should be user friendly. I can only speak for the WR but guess the KLX is in the same market.
3. if you get better at riding you can mod them and enjoy.
4. there is a demand for used ones and if you have to have a katoom your WR will sell in a heart beat.

I ride mine as much as possible "WR" have ridden tight woods desert and freeway cruising 79mph.
last tank of gas I got 56mpg.
I like to ride not wrench.
I'm just sayin
Back to top Go down
wjfawb0

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:54 am

I chose the WR250R because of the easy maintenance schedule. The fuel injection runs great in any weather, the stainless steel exhasut valves won't need to be checked a couple times a year, and parts are fairly easy to get if I bounce off a tree and survive. I ride 90% street and the rest is on gravel and forest roads when I'm on the WR250R. I have an FZ1 for asphault only riding. I've only been on the road four or five years now.
Back to top Go down
TheBIGD

TheBIGD

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 11:47 am

my advice, go with the WRR, i was in your shoes a year ago and bought the 530 excr.... needless to say, after some uncorking and jetting this was a fire breathing dragon and i got owned bad on it because i was a newb dirt rider... (shattered my helmet, broken face, hand and a neck that will never be the same) you really need the skill and respect to ride a bike like the 450/530 ktm's and the like....and oh ya, i sold my ktm last summer after only 300km, bought a wr250f and loved it, it tought me how to ride and have fun... now the next logical step is the WRR which i pick up this week, and i cant wait....

ride safe and ride smart!!!
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 2:04 pm

True story: About two months ago, a new guy shows up on one of our dual sport rides. He has a new KTM 690 and he is gushing about how much better it is than everyone elses WR, KLX, DRZ, etc. As we hit the trail, I watch him and think he does not look skilled enough to handle that bike. Long story short... He smashed into a tree and is now laid-up with pins in his arm.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 2:07 pm

I think you're getting some really good, down-to-earth, real-world advice here. I second and third what was said above. The WR250R is a sweet little bike that will provide you with endless grin-inducing excitement. Yeah, it doesn't roost like a KTM, but I don't want it to. Advice on first dual sport 61865
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 3:52 pm

The biggest problem is that you posed this question on a WR250 forum. Ask the same thing over on the KTM forum and you're going to get a MUCH different answer.

Best thing to do is test ride as many bikes as you can get your hands on. Most everybody I know who rides is willing to trade bikes no matter what you ride. You are the only person who truly knows your off road riding ability, make the best decision for what's right for you and won't kill you...trees hurt and when you grab a fist full of throttle by accident on a big bike, they aren't too forgiving. Good luck, and the WR is a great bike.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:12 pm

I'll disregard the comments about the opinions of this forum to a KTM forum, cost and comments relative to maintenance.

To answer the OP question in the first order is that dual-sports make neither great dirt or street bikes.

IMO, "Rideability", for the new off-road rider would be my focus.

While there are advantages of having more power, and less weight, the "Right" power to weight ratio for a new dirt rider isn't always easily answered.

Regardless of all the other variables, both bikes would likely work for you. In fact so would the other suggestions.

In my opinion (mind you with two KTMs and a WRR in the garage) is that you won't find a better bang for the buck with the WRR as your solution. If you decide at a later date, as pointed out, the resale market is alive and well, and you can try something else. I've got three surfboards, two pairs of skiis and different snowboards for that exact reason.

One size never fits all. ~ shrug ~
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Go read the "shoot out" advertised near the top of the home page, something like WRR Tech, I cannot recall directly. They compared the WRR to KTMs, 450s, KLRs, and maybe some others on the hiway, on trails and on a motocross track. The only reason lots of riders get KTMs/Huskys these days for DS riding is because the Yammies are not street legal, except for the WRR. If you're gonna do any riding on the public streets, you're gonna need plates or risk getting a big ticket, especially in the SW. The VIN number is now coded to let the MVD determine if you can get plates or not, even if you make a WRXXX street legal, with signals, etc... you still won't get plates in many states. You might get "Off Hiway" plates but not regular, go anywhere, plates.
Back to top Go down
hamish54

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 12:46 am

I don't own a KTM but my riding partner does. He grew up riding dirt & road in North Carolina, laid off riding for 30 years until 2 years ago. He bought a 400 EXE 2 years ago and plated it for adventure riding. We were riding more trails that adventure riding so, within 6 months decided to go lightweight and purchased a SX125. Granted you have to trailer it, but the being nimble and light weight made him feel like he was in high school again. He found a good deal on a 200 xcw. The 200 is only 5# more than the 125, with plenty of power for the woods.

After many repairs to my WR250R from get offs in the woods, I went to a YZ125. It's been great for the woods and learning clutch control. If I were looking for my first offroad bike, the 230/250 TTR would be a top choice. It climbs like a tractor, very little maintanence needed, and a lower seat height than the WR250R. I still use the WRR for road and adventure trips and occasional hare scrambles, but the lightweight of the offroad 125/200/250s is hard to beat.

Instead of a trailer, have you thought of a carrier that would slide into your hitch, assuming you have a vehicle with a hitch?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:39 am

Hamish: In spite of your very valid observations and conclusions, you realize you've moved the discussion completely off the topic.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:57 am

Last 12 years I've been riding Honda XR650L's. I am really enjoying downsizing. I have not been disapointed with the WR250R, pure fun.
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 11:25 am

phroenips wrote:

This is the opinion I have developed from reading the many different posts.

To the original OP: The WR250R was my first bike in about 15 years - sold my last bike before I got married - big mistake, but I digress. Anyway, I was in your shoes prior to buying this new bike, but currently, there is not much out there that is really dirt worthy without being a mess on the street, and won't be a problem in finding OEM parts, or require all sorts of maintenance. The WR250 will get the job done on the street as long as your not doing 50 miles at 75mph, as this gets tiring since the bike is so light.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:26 am

The WR250 will get the job done on the street as long as your not doing 50 miles at 75mph, as this gets tiring since the bike is so light.[/quote]

That is rediculous, this bike eats up the highway.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 9:13 am

Actually it's hard pressed to do a real 75mph. It will do it, but that's certainly not its forte. With stock gearing it's a struggle. With lowered gearing it can get there but is really wound up.
It's a great bike, but let's not kid ourselves. It is what it is. Up to about 55 it's quite good and peppy.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:36 pm

Easy Rider: Maybe I'm wrong, but I think his point was relative to a designated highway machine with MUCH more mass.

Everything is relative. Frankly, 75 MPH for 50 miles on a dual sport isn't my idea of a good time either. Add-in extreme weather, high wind (etc) and no bike is that fun (IMO)
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 11:35 pm

It's way more fun than my 600 Nija.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 3:59 am

ZED wrote:
Actually it's hard pressed to do a real 75mph. It will do it, but that's certainly not its forte. With stock gearing it's a struggle. With lowered gearing it can get there but is really wound up.
It's a great bike, but let's not kid ourselves. It is what it is. Up to about 55 it's quite good and peppy.

Maybe I did something wrong/ or right, but after a new pipe, programmer and rip out mods, i find my speedo constantly round 80 on the highway, with power to pass. I wouldn't say its hard pressed, its just not a 600cc sport bike. I have only toped out at 93 real mph

I also took it from Chicago to Michigan, 60+ miles, and didn't feel any real pains or fatigue. Its not a huge cruiser, but I had fun.

After my mods, this is a FUN nimble bike that has pull! Peace YAM <---Hey, where's the X version of this smiley face thing????, lol I want an option with a black frame and slick tires!
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Captain Midnight wrote:
The WR250 will get the job done on the street as long as your not doing 50 miles at 75mph, as this gets tiring since the bike is so light.

That is rediculous, this bike eats up the highway.[/quote]

Really, its not too light for long street rides in all weather conditions? Riding at 65+ in gusty windy conditions on this bike is tiring due to its light weight as you are fighting from being pushed all over the roadway. The vibes thru the bars and pegs at 65+ are also tiring. The other thing I notice is at 65+ with stock gearing it seems to be running at a pretty high RPM and sounds about like my old 2-cycle at WFO doing 65. I know the read line is high on this bike, and peak power is in the upper band, but to me it does not sound like the bike really likes running at 65+. However, I notice no oil use in about 1000 miles of riding 60-70 mph which is a good sign.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on first dual sport   Advice on first dual sport Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on first dual sport
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next