Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Sunlight - Can it damage?

Go down 
+4
motokid
taoshum
Akasy
DesertRider
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DesertRider

Sunlight - Can it damage? Empty
PostSubject: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi,

I park my WRR outside while at work. It's in direct sunlight most of the morning, then in the shade throughout the afternoon. I don't have a cover or a better shady spot to keep it in while I'm at the office. Will hot, direct sunlight damage anything? I know it might have an affect on the seat long-term (cracking, etc.), but what else?

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Sun Damage   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 2:11 pm

I bought a 1989 XT350 out of Phoenix about 2 years ago. It had not set outside until about 2 months before I bought it according to the owner. The paint on the tank was faded, the side panels were as were all the decals. All the rubber gromets were begining to crack, seat and tool pack were faded, engine paint was faded, instruments were still good but the clear plastic was beginning to show the sun effects. The bike had 3500 miles on it.
Here in NM the sun will completely destroy a spa cover outside in about 4 years. So will the sun take it's toll, in my experience absolutely and on just about all parts of the bike--except the metal.
Back to top Go down
DesertRider

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah, that's what I figured. And my question was probably a dumb one. But this is my first full-time bike - so I wanted to be sure. I actually DID manage to find a good spot for it where it's in the shade most of the day. Hopefully that helps. At home I have an enclosure that keeps it out of sunlight - so that shouldn't be a problem.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:38 pm

The UV does the damage and if you are above 5000' elevation, you need shade if you want a vehicle to last more than a few years... at least the plastic parts. Armour All helps a little.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:43 pm

aww come on. It's a street legal dirt bike.It's meant to be outside in all kids of weather.

just ride the damn thing like you stole it and don't worry about the silly stuff.

get some friggin mud on it...that'll protect it.

amazon

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
DesertRider

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks for the advice everyone! I want to keep this thing for a long time, so I'll do my best to keep it maintained. I've been riding it everyday since I got it and am really loving it. Very happy
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 11:52 am

I tired sunscreen but I can't get the bike to stop wiggling and giggling when I put it on. poser2

Nothing, ultimately, will protect the bike from UV.

Get a twin bed sheet and cover it. Pull it over and use a bungy cord where necessary. It will add years to the plastic.

If you get a plate bag it will fit in there easily.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:25 pm

you can hit the plastics with any kind of plastic polish/protector like plexus and it will keep from UV damage. Honestly we are talking fading after years and years of sitting in the sun, you're like to crash the bike and wreck the plastics way before that happens. Also try pricing out a new set of plastics from the dealer and ask yourself is it really worth it for how cheap they are.
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 11:05 am

Ever wonder why the older bikes have faded plastic? I figure its the sun, so for me, I tend to keep it covered where the sun will beat on it. Just my 2-cents.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 1:48 am

M1 wrote:
Ever wonder why the older bikes have faded plastic? I figure its the sun......

Rocket science wins again.... In the long term, UV protector will NOT protect YOU, OR YOUR BIKE.

Want proof ? Put SPF X+ on your body and sit out ALL DAY. The carcinoma result is the same. YOUR plastic fades faster than the plastic on your bike.

Cover it, or trash it and replace it. Covers (as well as the time to put them on) are cheaper.

Six five year old (un-crashed) bikes in the garage that look like new is proof enough.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 6:45 am

[quote Six five year old (un-crashed) bikes in the garage that look like new is proof enough. [/quote]

Ummm....so how does the garage look? poser2
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:23 pm

twowheeled wrote:
you can hit the plastics with any kind of plastic polish/protector like plexus and it will keep from UV damage. Honestly we are talking fading after years and years of sitting in the sun, you're like to crash the bike and wreck the plastics way before that happens. Also try pricing out a new set of plastics from the dealer and ask yourself is it really worth it for how cheap they are.

my coworker was asking me last week if they made something to make the old faded plastic on his KLR look newer again. I said I'm sure they do but what I do is I just crash mine on the trail or track every so often to freshen up all the scratches.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 5:51 pm

I haven't used it for long, but it's supposed to work pretty good.. used for leather jackets, plastics, vinyl, etc.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/65/303-aerospace-protectant.cfm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunlight - Can it damage?   Sunlight - Can it damage? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sunlight - Can it damage?
Page 1 of 1