Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Traffic Light Trigger

Go down 
+2
deerHater
5S Dude
6 posters
AuthorMessage
5S Dude

5S Dude

Traffic Light Trigger Empty
PostSubject: Traffic Light Trigger   Traffic Light Trigger EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Have any of you mounted a "GREEN LIGHT Stop Light Trigger" under your WR? The ad says "It's really quite simple, slap on the bottom of your bike, drive over the sensor in the road, the light is aware that you've arrived, and you'll get the green light just as if you're a car or truck."

Traffic Light Trigger Grnlight_stoplight_trigger_MD
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Traffic Light Trigger   Traffic Light Trigger EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm curious, has your WR failed to trigger signal lights?

Mine always triggers (not sure how many different intersections I've 'tested', maybe 50?)
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Traffic Light Trigger   Traffic Light Trigger EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:46 pm

I've had it not happen on more than one occasion, there are several lights near me I know of off hand that I wait I'll be waiting a long long time. Its legal for bikes to run lights that don't trip (once you've ensured that they do in fact cycle without letting you go) and I've done it more than once, almost always at night on empty roads.
Back to top Go down
5S Dude

5S Dude

PostSubject: Re: Traffic Light Trigger   Traffic Light Trigger EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Yeah, I head for work at 4am and hit about 20 to 30 traffic signals, non of which sense that I'm sitting atop the switch pads. My truck clicks them almost as soon as it touches the pad. I was just wondering if it's worth the fifteen bucks to slap a magnet under my scoot.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Traffic Light Trigger   Traffic Light Trigger EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Here the sensors are a wire loop. It's a rectangular shape with the long border at least the length of an average car, but in some place as big as 2 car lengths. Not sure how deep under the road surface they put the wire (2 inches, 3?) Where bicycles use the left turn lanes they put 3 yellow dots directly above the right side wire, which is usually about 2 feet in from the right edge of the lane.

The key point is to place the (motor)bike directly above the loop wire. But yes, some lights' loops are not set up correctly and bicycles cannot trigger them. To date, knock on metal, my WR has triggered every light.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Traffic Light Trigger   Traffic Light Trigger EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Don't waste your money, they don't work. Rare earth magnets don't work either. Ask me how I know.
Back to top Go down
bikepsych

PostSubject: Re: Traffic Light Trigger   Traffic Light Trigger EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 5:06 pm

I would beg to differ. I have put one of the green light triggers on mr WR. I used to get left at many a stop light coming home from school late at night. Couldn't trigger the switch in the asphalt. Not enough mass, metal, or whatever. I put the green light trigger on 5 months ago, haven't been left at a light since. In fact, it is more effective now than my VStrom 1000.

BG
Back to top Go down
BUSTER

BUSTER

PostSubject: Re: Traffic Light Trigger   Traffic Light Trigger EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 5:51 pm

I had a Signal Sorcerer on a sportbike that helped a lot. I would get stuck at lights all the time before installation. It didn't make a difference with some intersections but at others it did. After more research I discovered that the issue is whether or not the signal you're at has functioning sensors in the ground that complete the circuit to initiate the light-changing sequence. And that's something you just can't control.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traffic Light Trigger   Traffic Light Trigger Empty

Back to top Go down

Traffic Light Trigger
Page 1 of 1