Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*

Go down 
+4
cryptomundo
dc4stroke
SoupSandwich
cuban11182
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cuban11182

R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* Empty
PostSubject: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:52 pm

Well I just ordered a 02-03 R1 tail light with the integrated turn signals. It should mount up to the stock tail, so I guess I'll see when it arrives. One thing I am wondering is what size resistor I will need to get them to flash correctly. Does anyone have an idea?

I'll make sure that I post a review and maybe a DIY install.

Thanks for any forthcoming advice on the resistors needed.

Last edited by cuban11182 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SoupSandwich

SoupSandwich

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 5:28 pm

we'll be waiting lurk
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 5:33 pm

SoupSandwich wrote:
we'll be waiting lurk

thumb
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 7:44 am

Did you order it from a dealer? Couldn't the parts guy have given you the resistor part number if needed? Or is it built into the circuit board? Or does it use a different flasher unit?
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 8:21 am

dc4stroke wrote:
Did you order it from a dealer? Couldn't the parts guy have given you the resistor part number if needed? Or is it built into the circuit board? Or does it use a different flasher unit?

No it's an aftermarked one. I guess I could use my fluke meter to measure resistance of the stockers, but I'll wait.

Here is a picture of it: http://www.amazon.com/02-03-Yamaha-Smoke-Light-Signals/dp/B000VC53OU
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 8:47 am

I have an extra one of these if anyone is interested (one used and one new)
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 9:16 am

cryptomundo wrote:

Did it work or no?
Back to top Go down
vwsandman

vwsandman

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 11:37 am

When you get that Tail light in send it back ASAP, they are junk. Mine lasted all of a day. The only one that has been bullet proof is the one that Custom LED sells. Also to get the correct flash rate, do not use resistors, the better way to do this is to use an electronic flasher relay that plugs in where the mechanical flasher relay resides, these too can be purchased from Custom LED or other places. trust me, I thought I was "saving money" by buying the less expensive one, it turnd out to be a BIG waste of money. Yes you have to do more work for the custom LED unit, but it is worth it. The LEDS are not very bright on that unit either. Sorry to ruin your day, but those units D2 moto sell are not even worth five bucks. The componets on the board (big cheap cermaic resistors) fell off the solder pads and broke off and shorted out some of the brake LEDS.

Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 11:53 am

I'm hoping you are wrong, but I guess I'll have a look at it once it gets here and make the decision then. I actually didn't order it from Amazon, I just googled it.
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 8:49 pm

My experience was the opposite. The lights are nice and bright and work well. Been on my bike since February, lots of on and off road playing since then.
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Whoa! I just looked at that link and saw the price. I didn't pay anywhere near $40 for mine. I'll try and see who I got it from.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 9:36 pm

cuban11182 wrote:
cryptomundo wrote:

Did it work or no?

works great .. I decided to buy the edge tail light 12 o'clocker setup
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 9:39 pm

toast wrote:
Whoa! I just looked at that link and saw the price. I didn't pay anywhere near $40 for mine. I'll try and see who I got it from.

I said the same thing .. here is where I got mine http://www.virtualvillage.com/tail-and-signal-light-for-yamaha-yzf-r1-02-03-002511-230.html

Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:04 am

cryptomundo wrote:
toast wrote:

I said the same thing .. here is where I got mine http://www.virtualvillage.com/tail-and-signal-light-for-yamaha-yzf-r1-02-03-002511-230.html

Yup! $23 and change shipped. I haven't installed it yet.
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 12:57 pm

cryptomundo wrote:
toast wrote:

Yea I had seen that, but then based on reviews the company seemed to be hit or miss, with the later being the majority.
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Just received it. It will go into tomorrow, but here is a quick teaser. Forgive the quality since it is from my phone. It looks like it will fit just perfectly! thumb

R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* Th_VIDEO0002
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 3:38 pm

So here it is. I had to cut the old tail light plugs so they would fit into the stock plugs. I may also do it for the main brake light, since it is just long enough. It doesn't fit as snuggly as with the stock, but the stock has dome sort of foam on the top and bottom that made it snug. Overall I'm happy, and I'll post on how it holds up.

Ignore the crocs and the wife's cough.

R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* Th_VIDEO0003
Back to top Go down
3KGT_Maddness

3KGT_Maddness

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 6:34 pm

The circuit panel on my R1 taillight is starting to fail from all the vibrations.... I have lost the far left 2 LED's. Let us know if this same thing happens to your taillight. I'm hoping to fix it by re-sautering the weld points on the circuit board.
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 6:36 pm

3KGT_Maddness wrote:
The circuit panel on my R1 taillight is starting to fail from all the vibrations.... I have lost the far left 2 LED's. Let us know if this same thing happens to your taillight. I'm hoping to fix it by re-sautering the weld points on the circuit board.

what exactly is vibrating loose? the wires? I cut the wires and extended them so I have a little bit extra. I don't see the vibrations being that bad, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Back to top Go down
3KGT_Maddness

3KGT_Maddness

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 6:39 pm

cuban11182 wrote:
what exactly is vibrating loose? the wires? I cut the wires and extended them so I have a little bit extra. I don't see the vibrations being that bad, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

No, it is on the actual circuit board that the LED's connect to. There is a sauter point that connects the LED to the circuit board and I'm fairly sure that because of the vibrations, that these points have "come loose." I had the same problem with regular LED turn signals but figured this setup would remedy it. But is has not.... I'm hoping to tear into the taillight this next weekend and see for sure what exactly went wrong with mine.
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 6:43 pm

3KGT_Maddness wrote:
cuban11182 wrote:

No, it is on the actual circuit board that the LED's connect to. There is a sauter point that connects the LED to the circuit board and I'm fairly sure that because of the vibrations, that these points have "come loose." I had the same problem with regular LED turn signals but figured this setup would remedy it. But is has not.... I'm hoping to tear into the taillight this next weekend and see for sure what exactly went wrong with mine.

I wouldn't see how they could vibrate loose. Is yours an R? If so maybe its the vibrations from off road. Let me know what you find out though. I just can't see solder points breaking just from vibration. Falls yes. I had LED turnsignals on my DRZ400SM and it had much more vibrations, but they lasted me till I sold her off (stupidly).
Back to top Go down
3KGT_Maddness

3KGT_Maddness

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 6:49 pm

cuban11182 wrote:
I wouldn't see how they could vibrate loose. Is yours an R? If so maybe its the vibrations from off road. Let me know what you find out though. I just can't see solder points breaking just from vibration. Falls yes. I had LED turnsignals on my DRZ400SM and it had much more vibrations, but they lasted me till I sold her off (stupidly).

I have an X. Never been down after the taillight was installed. I will take pictures if I decide to try tearing it apart.
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 6:51 pm

3KGT_Maddness wrote:
cuban11182 wrote:

I have an X. Never been down after the taillight was installed. I will take pictures if I decide to try tearing it apart.

Did you brace it inside the stock location? I noticed with mine there wasn't any foam like on the stocker. I used some folded up electrical tape to brace it so it wouldn't move at all. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
3KGT_Maddness

3KGT_Maddness

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 7:04 pm

cuban11182 wrote:
Did you brace it inside the stock location? I noticed with mine there wasn't any foam like on the stocker. I used some folded up electrical tape to brace it so it wouldn't move at all. Good luck.

Mine is a custom setup. Which is probably where my problem probably lies. There is no medium that absorbs any vibrations.

R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* DSC_0498
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Ahhh, I see. Well if you can save it. I would suggest getting some rubber washers, orings, somthing to help reduce the vibration. That is, of course if that is the culprit. Let me know what you find out!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*   R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed* Empty

Back to top Go down

R1 LED taillight with built in turn signals *Installed*
Page 1 of 1