Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)

Go down 
+3
kjharn
Farmer17
granite4brains
7 posters
AuthorMessage
granite4brains

granite4brains

Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) Empty
PostSubject: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm

Looking at new handlebars and have settled on Pro Taper - KX High.

But, just curious what the Contours would buy me over the SEs.

My understanding is that the Contours will resist getting bent a little better. But, you need different clamps in order to attach them.

SEs (7/8"") sounds like they might bend a little easier, but they fit just as the stock handlebars do.

Is that correct for the most part? Any other pro/cons I'm not thinking of?

Will probably get some sort of risers too - but will deal with that later.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Farmer17

Farmer17

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 8:31 pm

unless you do a lot of jumping or stuff like that the SE should be fine. then you dont have to bother with the oversize clamps and such.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 pm

granite4brains wrote:
Looking at new handlebars and have settled on Pro Taper - KX High.

But, just curious what the Contours would buy me over the SEs.

My understanding is that the Contours will resist getting bent a little better. But, you need different clamps in order to attach them.

SEs (7/8"") sounds like they might bend a little easier, but they fit just as the stock handlebars do.

Is that correct for the most part? Any other pro/cons I'm not thinking of?

Will probably get some sort of risers too - but will deal with that later.

Thanks!

I've read quite a few posts (mostly in the KLR websites) saying that the bigger bars help get rid of some vibes.

I have no first hand knowledge to back that up.

I went with SE (Henry/Reed bend) on my bike for exactly the reasons you stated. I figure our bikes don't have a lot of vibes (not like most KLR's!), so less of a concern even if true.

I've heard that the SE's are a lot harder to bend than stock steel bars, but just as you say, not quite as stout as the fatter bars.

Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 9:45 pm

I have the SE's. My bike has fallen off a 15 foot cliff, twice. I've dumped it 100+ times, crashed hard 50+ times, cased a double, and it's also fallen out of my truck once. Possibly twice. I had the same exact same set of bar's on my KLR before I got the WR, and I also lowsided at 45 on a gravel road. Took them off the KLR, and put them on the WR.

The point is, the bar's haven't bent, not even one bit. Just make sure you get handguards.

EDIT: Man, that makes me sound like an awful rider. poser2

Btw, the bars do reduce vibes, a ton.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 9:58 pm

kjharn wrote:
I have the SE's. My bike has fallen off a 15 foot cliff, twice. I've dumped it 100+ times, crashed hard 50+ times, cased a double, and it's also fallen out of my truck once. Possibly twice.

The point is, the bar's haven't bent, not even one bit.

Yep, those bars sound pretty solid poser2

Thanks guys! SE bars it is! thumb

Last edited by granite4brains on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:04 pm

"EDIT: Man, that makes me sound like an awful rider. poser2"

Naw. Just a knarly adventurer! Very happy

Seriously, thanks for the info. Glad to know they're stout.

I dumped my bike (low speed but fairly hard drop) a couple weeks ago and no damage. But that's only the third time it's been down.

Don't know how your knees can take it. This last time tore up some ligaments in my right knee.

Maybe they can make some SE ligaments for my crummy knee! scratch

BTW, I had a sprocket alignment issue causing added vibes and didn't know it. So I did the BB mod (a KLR thing) in the ends of the SE bars and that took the vibes down. Though I was masking another potential problem by doing so.

I'm gonna leave the BB's there and carry a slingshot for survival purposes. deal

No, I can't be serious.

Thanks again for the info, though. Good to know.

LS
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:10 pm

BigFeet wrote:

Don't know how your knees can take it. This last time tore up some ligaments in my right knee.

I'm 20. poser2

I've grown up with the mantra, "If you ain't dyin', you ain't tryin'."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:21 pm

kjharn wrote:
BigFeet wrote:

I'm 20. poser2

I've grown up with the mantra, "If you ain't dyin', you ain't tryin'."

'k. That'd explain it.

I was indestructible once upon a time. I have the plastic and metal parts to prove it. Very happy

Now that my warranty has run out, I do the best I can - for an old croaker. Shog

L
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 2:39 am

I had protaper evo's on the first bike and se's on the current. Slightly, inconsequentially lower vibes on the Evo's, but SE's are just as durable if not more as I've beat and dropped the current bike harder and more often.

The bend matters more than the bar.
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 1:07 am

i have beat the crap outta the SE bars on heavier bikes than the wrr with no bending.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 3:15 am

kjharn wrote:

I'm 20. poser2 I've grown up with the mantra, "If you ain't dyin', you ain't tryin'."

Seriously ? Soooo... You're tryin to die ?

You may want to re-think that mantra. Quickly.

Maybe think about the mantra of trying to put it all in the back of the truck when you're done riding for the day and maybe riding the next three decades (or more).

You'll get more miles in.
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 12:26 pm

X-Racer wrote:
kjharn wrote:

I'm 20. poser2 I've grown up with the mantra, "If you ain't dyin', you ain't tryin'."

Seriously ? Soooo... You're tryin to die ?

You may want to re-think that mantra. Quickly.

Maybe think about the mantra of trying to put it all in the back of the truck when you're done riding for the day and maybe riding the next three decades (or more).

You'll get more miles in.

I'm not trying to literally die. My point is that I believe you can't become a better rider if you're not pushing your limits. The only area I do this is offroad. On the road, I commute to and from work, run errands, and that's it. No wheelies, no hooliganism, nothing. I've done 18,000 street miles with nary a wipeout, save one on a gravel road. Not even a speeding ticket.

I keep the stupid stuff to closed courses and OHV parks. Chill out.

Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 2:38 pm

Ahhhh.... Got it. Off topic I realize, but I have a 20 year old and I want her and her 24 year old brother to live to ride her entire life (they've both been riding since they were 4).

I agree to what you said. I ride a LOT better when I'm riding on the edge than when I tell myself I'm going to back off and take it easy.

I think that's just a mental acuity state of mind that makes you think quicker. A good thing...

...and there's nothing wrong with a lil hooliganism. I wrote the book way back when and several editions afterwards. * chuckle *

Good luck on keeping the bars straight ! Out... thumb
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 2:42 pm

X-Racer wrote:
Ahhhh.... Got it. Off topic I realize, but I have a 20 year old and I want her and her 24 year old brother to live to ride her entire life (they've both been riding since they were 4).

I agree to what you said. I ride a LOT better when I'm riding on the edge than when I tell myself I'm going to back off and take it easy.

I think that's just a mental acuity state of mind that makes you think quicker. A good thing...

...and there's nothing wrong with a lil hooliganism. I wrote the book way back when and several editions afterwards. * chuckle *

Good luck on keeping the bars straight ! Out... thumb

Also off topic, but thought it was funny. I'm 20, my sister is 24. Opposite your kids. Kinda neat. thumb

I wish my parents would have plopped me on a minibike or something when I was that young. I'd me a much better rider now. You sound like a cool dad. deal
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Is your last name Kneivel? poser2

kjharn wrote:
I have the SE's. My bike has fallen off a 15 foot cliff, twice. I've dumped it 100+ times, crashed hard 50+ times, cased a double, and it's also fallen out of my truck once. Possibly twice. I had the same exact same set of bar's on my KLR before I got the WR, and I also lowsided at 45 on a gravel road. Took them off the KLR, and put them on the WR.

The point is, the bar's haven't bent, not even one bit. Just make sure you get handguards.

EDIT: Man, that makes me sound like an awful rider. poser2

Btw, the bars do reduce vibes, a ton.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)   Contours VS SE (Pro Taper) Empty

Back to top Go down

Contours VS SE (Pro Taper)
Page 1 of 1