Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Spares List

Go down 
+7
clapped_r6
danila
cryptomundo
greer
YZEtc
gatorfan
edteamslr
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Spares List   Spares List EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 7:25 am

Not sure if I mentioned it but I'm off on a trip across Asia/Russia in the spring for 6months on the WR. I'm ordering a new fuel pump, 4 oil filters and chain guide rubber.

Can anyone think of any other spares I should be taking (apart from tyres, sprockets, chain)? What would you take for 18,000miles of 70:30 road/offroad from the UK out to far eastern Russia?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 8:41 am

Advil. Lots of it.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 am

I've updated the seat to a Seat Concept and I'm packing light (Coyote) so I shouldn't have any issues picking the thing up.
Boredom is the main factor (I've got an Autocom to listen to with a radio to talk to my buddy on the other bike)...

What else?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 9:03 am

The air filter is a biggie.
Either have the chemicals needed to clean and reoil it, or have some spares already oiled in sealed plastic bags.
Myself, I'd bring at least one spare in case you tear one while cleaning it.
If you're riding it off-road, you'll be servicing the air filter a lot. :)
Back to top Go down
greer

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Air filter for sure. A clean,oiled spare will compress to nothing in a ziplock bag. Brake & clutch levers, clutch cable, maybe?

Sarah
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:17 am

I’m going on a trip to New York next week so I thought I’d try to order a new fuel pump and chain guide from Service Honda. I got this response.

“Your order has been cancelled. We cannot guarantee that the parts will be there by the data specified.
Also, we do not shop to hotels.

Parts”

Looks like I will have to investigate other avenues. Very annoying as I need this for my trip in the Spring.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:26 am

check for a dealer near where you will be in NY and order and pick it up from them? where in NY will you be? another option is to have someone receive it and ship it to the hotel for you. Obviously, the only problem is if the parts dont arrive in time. If its next week, it might be too soon. Who did you try to order the parts from? Someone on this forum might be able to recommend a good dealer they use and that dealer might ship to your hotel. .. just brainstorming

Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:30 am

Good thinking.

1) order from a dealer in NYK and go and collect (cons: if it doesn't arrive in time it will be stuck in NYK)

2) Find someone to order it and send it to. If it arrives in time they can send it to the hotel otherwise this kind person would need to post it to me in the UK

3) Spend 300GBP (470USD) on one in the UK and suck it.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:44 am

whats the price difference between ordering in the US and UK? if for some reason, someone had to ship it to the UK, would it still be worth it?

Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:51 am

cryptomundo wrote:

whats the price difference between ordering in the US and UK? if for some reason, someone had to ship it to the UK, would it still be worth it?

it's $214 from Service Honda and $520 (forgot tax) in the UK. Shipping is $30 (slowest). Tax $35.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 am

It appears that OEM parts in US have competition and the price can be lower than RRP. In the UK we have a cartel where dealers do not undercut the Recomended Retail Price so it's about the same number in GBP as the RRP in USD (340 or so).
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 11:18 am

hey ed, sent you a pm. also, im curious why you need to replace the rear chain guide? if its worn down, did you also check out your chain slider up top to see if its worn?
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 am

cryptomundo wrote:

hey ed, sent you a pm. also, im curious why you need to replace the rear chain guide? if its worn down, did you also check out your chain slider up top to see if its worn?

As per pm, it was a preventative measure. I have a little bit of wear on mine so I thought I'd replace it in advance of the trip...(Part6 on the RearArm option of the OEM microfiche)
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 1:52 pm

you might add a spark plug to your list .. its small, i carry one in my tool kit. im also looking in to engine/oil plugs .. i think carrying some in the tool kit might not be a bad idea.

Back to top Go down
danila

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Hello! Sory fo my english. I think you must add front and rear inner tube. Road in Russia very bed!
Back to top Go down
clapped_r6

clapped_r6

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 2:32 pm

filterskiz. they come in a pack of 3, pre oil them and keep them in a ziplock with your other filters.

they do work, they seem to catch a fair amount of schmeg. they keep your filter cleaner, longer. and they're easy to pack.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 6:19 pm

Def:
Fuel pump
IMS 4.5gal tank
Oil Filters (4)
Air Filter
Sparkplug

Poss:
Chain guide
Filterskins

Just had an email from Service Honda (2nd attemp). They now won't ship to a US address because I've not bought anything before. Which is fair enough to combat fraud, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 6:35 pm

do you have regular or heavy duty tubes? based on the comment from the guy in russia, it might be a good idea to have heavy duty and then keep your stock tubes for backup.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Def:
Fuel pump
IMS 4.5gal tank
Oil Filters (4)
Air Filter
Sparkplug
Heavy duty fitted tubes front and rear
Front standard duty tube (spare)
Chain guide
Bearing check, clean and replace
Suspension refresh
Spare fork seals

Poss:
Filterskins
Rear standard duty tube (maybe a def. depending on space - this is a go light trip)
Valve check

I know what you mean about patching HD tubes but I definitely will start off with them and my spare tube strategy complete depends on how much space I have over and above the fender bag with a standard front in.

Last edited by edteamslr on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
skierd

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:01 pm

I'd make the chain guide a definite, depending on how quickly yours has worn. Spare clutch and brake levers too.

Make sure all bearings (suspension, steering, wheel) are in good shape with good grease before leaving. Depending on the bike's mileage I'd consider at least starting with fresh fork oil if not a rebuilt shock too. Maybe a set of fork seals? Maybe have the valves checked before leaving, again depending on mileage.

I'm not sure I'd start with or take HD tubes. Patches haven't taken well to the HD tubes I've had but worked great on the stock tubes. They're also harder to stuff in the tire for changes on the road and change the handling and feel of the bike. Stock tubes take up 1/2 the room too. I'd personally bring a pair of rears and a single front, but I've only ever gotten rear flats (both in HD tubes fwiw) so far.
Back to top Go down
greer

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 6:52 am

Gritty roads will eat up a set of brake pads.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 7:37 am

edteamslr wrote:
Def:
Fuel pump
IMS 4.5gal tank
Oil Filters (4)
Air Filter
Sparkplug
Heavy duty fitted tubes front and rear
Front standard duty tube (spare)
Chain guide
Bearing check, clean and replace
Suspension refresh
Spare fork seals
Brake pads

Poss:
Filterskins
Rear standard duty tube (maybe a def. depending on space - this is a go light trip)
Valve check

I know what you mean about patching HD tubes but I definitely will start off with them and my spare tube strategy complete depends on how much space I have over and above the fender bag with a standard front in.
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Airhawk Roho?
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Chief_Lee_Visceral wrote:
Airhawk Roho?

No, but it's a good suggestion if like them.

(Tried the airhawk and hated it plus practically-speaking: they get stolen, punctured, the cover absorbs water when it rains, they can get in the way for offroading and they stop you being able to vary your seating position to relieve soreness/tightness on long journeys.)
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: fuel capacity   Spares List EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 5:15 pm

I didn't notice your intended departure date, but I notice you listed the IMS 4.5 gal tank. There is no question that you need extra fuel capacity on a trip like this, but the IMS 4.5 gal tank is not yet available. That leaves you with the IMS 3.1 gal or the Safari 3.5. You should add auxiliary cans to either tank choice. A 6 gallon capacity wouldn't be too much. Look at Rotopax. If you go with a 1-gal Rotopax on the tail rack with a GL Coyote bag, mock up the fit. I was able to mount my can 1-inch further rearward, as far back as it can go on my GYTR rack. The extra inch of seat length, especially when wearing a backpack, made a big comfort difference.

If I was doing more than a couple of days out, I'd seriously consider the 2-gal Rotopax on the side-mount frame along with bigger luggage. Wolfman now has an integrated solution for both. You won't regret all the waterproofness you can get either.

Best of luck on your trip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spares List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spares List   Spares List Empty

Back to top Go down

Spares List
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next