Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s

Go down 
+3
Jäger
YZEtc
WRXR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
WRXR

WRXR

Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s Empty
PostSubject: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 3:00 pm

Ok I am planning to build a dirt bike stand for my WR out of two-by-fours. I am just not sure about what the optimal height would be. I don't want it to be too high because it would be hard to get that heavy bike on there. A tire clearance of about 2 inch from the ground would be good.

Can anyone tell me what the optimum height of the stand would be? I can't take the measurements right now because the bike is in storage.

I was going to use this stand size as a reference:

Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s Mx-bike-stand-2
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 6:36 pm

I'd go with 15 inches if you have 21" and 18" wheels on the bike.

My WR-250X with the stock 17" wheels is good with 13-and-a-half inches.

I'd use some kind of thick, rubbery top to help grip the frame rails.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Ok thanks. What dimension would you make the platform, and how big of an access hole for oil changes should I make?
10x10 and 3.5x3.5 like the one pictured?

I have some sorta rubber mat that I am going to put on top.

Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s Mx-bike-stand-3
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 1:28 pm

I think the 10" X 10" would be good.

As for a drain hole, I'd probably do some kind of mock-up experiment to determine the precise spot for it.
Myself, I always drain the oil with the bike on the ground, so I'm probably not the best-qualified to answer that one. ;)
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:20 pm

WRXR wrote:
Ok thanks. What dimension would you make the platform, and how big of an access hole for oil changes should I make?
10x10 and 3.5x3.5 like the one pictured?

I have some sorta rubber mat that I am going to put on top.
My cheap little lift stand has the wheel's clear at 13.5" in height off the floor. I do have the Yamalink installed, but that's all. Without Yamalink, 15" should be safe.

I know scrap 2x4 is cheap, but the price and convenience of the inexpensive little lift stands available everywhere kind of makes me wonder. The people at DiscountRamps where you grabbed the photo will sell you one for $40, for example. Just not having to lift the bike on the stand or do the kickstand trick to get it up on the stand is enough for me.

As for the oil change plans, I always do mine on the kickstand, where I can tip the bike back and forth to get as much oil out as possible easy access to drain bolt, etc. Your mileage may vary on that, of course.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 pm

I bought one of those cheap little lift stands and the thing was so bent in less then a year it was unusable. not all are the same obviously but after having that happen I would spend a little more money and get a well built one that costs a little more. I just lift mine onto my wifes motocross stand now since I haven't bought a replacement.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:16 pm

The 2x4 idea is a good one. Right now I use an army surplus 20mm ammo can ($20) that I had in the garage. Throw a 4x4 under the kickstand and rock the bike up, then slide the ammo can under. Works and is very stable. I think it is 15 inches tall and slightly too short with no lowering. You could make it 15 inches tall and then add pads to the corners if you need more height. Remember, the bike will be taller with knobbie tires on there.

Well the ammo can is a spare that I got when I bought them to make side cases for my KLR. They had em 3 for $45 or $20 each. So it really only cost me $5. They make very tough side cases, but a bit heavy. Ok for an all pavement ride or when I commute and need to lock things up.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm going to make the stand 16" high and try how high the bike sits. Then I can still cut it down with the skilsaw if needed.
I have some 2x4s leftover from a recent renovation, so the stand would be free for me.
If anybody cares for pics I'll post some up once I'm done with it.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:03 pm

I went with 15" height, works great, gives me about 2" clearance under the wheels.

Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s F5905e46

Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s D2d3eefc

Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s 5e36f52c
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Nice job. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s    Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 am

Sweet job. How do you set the bike on top of that exactly?
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 1:47 am

Very nice job on that, lol but yeah, I'd like to see a video of you getting it up on the stand! Please Very happy scratch
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 pm

Getting it on the stand was pretty easy.

I stand on the left side of the bike, one hand on the handlebar, the other on the left side frame behind the seat/by the pipe. Lift the back and wiggle it on the stand. As easy as that.

Maybe it helps that I am tall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s   Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s Empty

Back to top Go down

Building an MX Bike Stand for the WR out of 2x4s
Page 1 of 1