Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle.

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
john92
bt0515
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bt0515

Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle. Empty
PostSubject: Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle.   Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle. EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 1:55 pm

I found a WR250R for sale in Maine that I am interested in. The issue is that the seller still has a lein through the bank on the bike, but also mentioned that he does not have a title for the bike in Maine because it is less than 600cc. Apparently any bike in Maine that is less than 600cc does not need a title so there is never one issued. That is a huge problem for me in NY because there is no way they would let me register it without having a title. The bike seems like a great deal but something seems a little fishy. He said he has had a lot of problems selling the bike without a title "duh".
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle.   Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle. EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:10 pm

If you can't figure out how to get a title, There is no way I would give him any money if I were you. I would imagine the bank has the title. There has to be a title. It's a taggable street bike.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle.   Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle. EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:59 pm

I've never heard of a state not issuing titles for under-600cc bikes, either.
Maybe the guy either ain't sure about how it works or suddenly forgot how it works.
If it turns out I'm wrong, somebody let me know because that'll be a new one on me. :)

In every case I sold a bike with a lein on it (I owed money on it), I had to take the buyer's money, send it in and pay the load off, then I'd get the title in the mail a few weeks later.

Just remember:
No loan paid-off = no title.

Doing this requires trust in the guy selling the bike.
If you don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling, I'd pass and look for easier pickings. :)
Back to top Go down
skysurfer2010

PostSubject: Re: Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle.   Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle. EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 5:17 pm

I've run into this with selling jet skis in NJ. NJ doesn't issue titles for vessels under a certain length. All I had to do was give the buyer a notarized bill of sale stating the sale price, state that i was the only owner of the ski with no liens (which might be an issue in this circumstance), and sign it. I also had to give buyers my most current registration and when they registered it in their state they would be issued a new title if one was required.

I'd contact the ME DMV to check out his story. You could also get the VIN to see if it's been reported stolen and also check with your state's DMV to see how to register an out of state bike.

Where you might get burned is if the seller decides not to pay off the lien. Your state will not issue you a title without the lien being satisfied. If you're really interested in this bike and want to invest the footwork your best bet might be to contact the ME DMV and also his lien holder to ask how to go about the purchase. You might be able to pay the lien holder directly which is much more trust worthy than giving your cold earned cash to a stranger without a title.
Back to top Go down
chkMINUS

PostSubject: Re: Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle.   Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle. EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 5:53 pm

I bought my wrr from a guy with a lien on the bike. The bank had the title. I got a cashiers check from my bank, drew up a bill of sale and took the bike home w/ out a title. He paid off the bike and sent me the title ~3 weeks later.

I was worried too and asked the seller for the contact info of their loan person. He happily gave it to me.

When I met the seller he had a nice house, wife and kids so that alleviated a lot of my concerns.
Back to top Go down
asaucier

PostSubject: Re: Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle.   Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle. EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 8:42 pm

I bought my new wr250r in Maine last year. I paid cash for it and no title. I think the cc cut of is 300. No title fee.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle.   Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle. EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 6:11 pm

call that states DMV, dddog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle.   Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle. Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about WR250R Purchase Regarding TItle.
Page 1 of 1