Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?

Go down 
+10
greer
Jäger
dc4stroke
Boondocker
mash100
X-Racer
SheWolf
little squirt
Akasy
zone47
14 posters
AuthorMessage
zone47

zone47

sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  Empty
PostSubject: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 2:53 pm

It doesn't seem to have much power behind it. Sleep I'm thinking of getting something louder. A full on semi air horn would be kind of cool, but may be slightly bulky. I'll have to look for something lighter weight. scratch

Anyone here upgrade theirs yet?

Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Never use it Very happy

zone47 wrote:
It doesn't seem to have much power behind it. Sleep I'm thinking of getting something louder. A full on semi air horn would be kind of cool, but may be slightly bulky. I'll have to look for something lighter weight. scratch

Anyone here upgrade theirs yet?

Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:42 pm

theres a company called FIAMM that makes tons of horns, you can ebay search them. I havent upgraded mainly cause i never use it...actually im surprised i still have it on my bike...............
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:17 pm

little squirt wrote:
theres a company called FIAMM that makes tons of horns, you can ebay search them. I havent upgraded mainly cause i never use it...actually im surprised i still have it on my bike...............

Thanks, I thought you might beep at the Hondas or Kawasakis that are in your way dunno I'll be riding mine on the street most of the time, so a good horn is a good investment. Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:44 pm

I have two Fiamm highway horns on mine...they are LOUD!! eeek

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:08 pm

What horn ? Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:19 am

Dammit Rob, put that thing back in your pants. amazon

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Shewolf: Honk if you're horny !

beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

You get the idea.... :)
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Wow, I was just about to start a new topic on this, but someone got there first!!!
I use my horn A LOT!!! BUT: it just ain't load enough, & it sounds, well, a bit gay (can I say that??). I have heard of FIAMM, I think they are Italian (??) & make a great range of air horns etc. My question is how much current is available on the WR horn circuit, before cooking a fuse/relay, & what would be compatible from FIAM range. I would love an Indian truck style airhorn if possible. I remember the noise whilst on a Royal Enfield Bullet riding around near Delhi -deafening!!
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 8:06 pm

I swapped a Fiamm Freeway Blaster, low tone, for the stock horn. It's a direct replacement. I read a recommendation that if you're only doing one horn and you have to choose between high or low tone, go with the low tone. That may be fine if you want to sound like an old car, but it's not enough. Truth is, I'm spoiled by the piercing volume of the Stebel Nautilus on my V-Strom, but that horn is too big, heavy, and complicated for this dual sport bike.

I really want the high tone horn to compliment the low tone, but have so far failed relay wiring 101. Also, if I had a second horn (which I won't do until I can power it through a relay), I'm going to have to get creative about where to mount it.
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Horn?.......Well I'll be.......it does have one.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:40 pm

Boondocker wrote:
I swapped a Fiamm Freeway Blaster, low tone, for the stock horn. It's a direct replacement.
No extra wiring, fuses, or anything? There's several theads on the 'Net about needing to rewire, fuses, confusion about brackets, etc.

I do use my horn and I would like to have something a little louder... Not being an electrician, "direct replacement" gets my attention.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 6:54 am

Eastern Beaver makes a kit:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Horn_Kits/horn_kits.html

Supposed to be good stuff.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 12:49 pm

I never had to rewire any relay or whatnot with both of my horns, which are the highway blasters, high and low. I just ran a jump wire from the one horn to the other and it works fine. dunno

Boondocker

PostSubject: 2 for 1 special   sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 3:44 pm

I figure that 2 horns replacing 1 is pulling twice the amps (I'm no electrician) through the horn switch, which I would guess is more than it's designed for. You can probably get away with that for a long time if you're not laying on the horn a lot, which I don't.

I read in the monster thread that our horn wiring is "backwards" from normal, something like a positive ground. Maybe that's why I kept blowing the relay fuse. Perhaps I'll try wiring the relay again, wrong way 'round. Or I could just add the second horn and blow till my switch can't takes anymore.
Back to top Go down
railbird

railbird

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Look in the 2011 Yamaha accessory catalog section 9 page 28. Piaa 500hz 112db horn. Part#
ACC-0SS58-40-62. Roughly 3 1/2 tall x 3 3/4 long x 1 1/2 thick. Plug-n-play in stock location.
Mine is mounted to the right headlight fairing mount bolt so I had to extend the wiring.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 4:03 am

railbird wrote:
Look in the 2011 Yamaha accessory catalog section 9 page 28. Piaa 500hz 112db horn. Part#
ACC-0SS58-40-62. Roughly 3 1/2 tall x 3 3/4 long x 1 1/2 thick. Plug-n-play in stock location.
Mine is mounted to the right headlight fairing mount bolt so I had to extend the wiring.
http://yamahaaccessorycatalog.com/

On page 10-4.

A mere $60

if the FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn is the right one, then Amazon is selling it for $11.
Back to top Go down
railbird

railbird

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Different horn, but 11 bucks is a good deal.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 7:30 pm

$85 for the PIAA here in Canuckistan. eeek

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 5:11 pm

I commute and use my horn a lot for the inattentive drivers here. I have the FIAMM low tone on my WRX and it works fine. It is direct plug and play and can be found at most auto parts stores. As far as sound, think of the FIAMM like the horn on an old school Buick.

However, I have the Stebel Nautilus on my SV and it's loud as hell. As far as sound, think of the horn on a locomotive. I have made a few distracted drivers drop their cell phones with wide-eyed fear with one touch of the horn. It's fun to watch them panic for a split second before they join reality behind the wheel again.

I like the Stebel much better, but I was a little lazy to wire it up on the WRX. And those eastern beaver kits look nice; may have to try one of those later.
Back to top Go down
BlueAngel

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 1:50 pm

I don't like the factory scooter horn. Yesterday, I installed Bosch auto horns from a junked 2000 BMW 525i. Paid $10 for complete set of low and high at a locel Pick-A-Part. Installed it using a relay and fuse. Now it's louder than a BMW 5 series because it's installed out in the open, unlike the original behind-the-bumper mounting in the 525i.
Back to top Go down
bluzharp

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:18 pm

I just installed a WOLO horn from my local auto parts store. Cost was about$15. Had to fiddle around a bit with the bracket and make a wiring jumper but it is a huge improvement. I used it Saturday to get through a herd of cows!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?    sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?  Empty

Back to top Go down

sooOOoo does anyone like the factory stock horn?
Page 1 of 1