Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

FMF Programmer Problems

Go down 
+11
Rapid Dog
Just Bob
Swagger
mr-cave
Chaunster12
YZEtc
dtx
thinair
abchel
motokid
mattnadz
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mattnadz

mattnadz

FMF Programmer Problems Empty
PostSubject: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Hey guys so I have the FMF programmer hooked up correct with settings: 3-5-0.5-8-4-4 and in sixth gear when i roll on the throttle a bit maybe 4000-6000RPM's my engine cuts out for a second until I let off the throttle then it fires again. Maybe too Rich dunno

Any ideas what is happening and what i can do or try guys???
Thanks
Matt.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Check this guy's settings...last post.

click me

I'm not sure the FmF can detect which gear you're in.

Think it reads throttle position and rpm's kind of thing.

You can't really dial in 5th gear full throttle differently than 6th gear full throttle.

Are you getting any bog at any other time in any other gear?

Can you run from nothing to rev limiter in 1-5 gear with no problems?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mattnadz

mattnadz

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks man, I'll have to try to fine tune it some more I guess.
But no it bogs when I hit the rev limiter if that's what you mean?? But the problem I'm have is that the engine dies for a few seconds. No fire from the engine at all when I'm at cruise and I just roll on the throttle a little bit more the motor just cuts out completely and then fires back up when I roll off the throttle dunno
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 pm

I have the same problem, FMF told me to call the maker of the programmer and I have been working on it with someone over the phone. It is working better, but not right. When its stops raining so much and I can get out on the highway to test it more, I am going to get on the phone with this guy. I will post what I have done later.
Back to top Go down
mattnadz

mattnadz

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Well not good news but at least its not me going crazy lol. Awesome thanks man for letting me know and keep me posted with the results.
Back to top Go down
thinair

PostSubject: Dobeck Performance / FMF   FMF Programmer Problems EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 8:48 pm

abchel wrote:
I have the same problem, FMF told me to call the maker of the programmer and I have been working on it with someone over the phone. It is working better, but not right. When its stops raining so much and I can get out on the highway to test it more, I am going to get on the phone with this guy. I will post what I have done later.

Rode my R2 over to the makers of FMF programmer today, Dobeck Performance, and met with Matt Stoxen. He took a look at my bike, asked some questions about the airbox, saw my FMF Q4, asked about AIS and EXUP then offered to set my bike based on their dyno tests. Then he told me that dyno settings are fine but actual riding is the real world test. Rode my bike, came back 15 minutes later and said he dialed it.

3, 2.5, 1, 8, 3, 4.

In Bozeman Mt at 5,000ft.

Runs AWESOME now.

Call Matt at 406-388-2377 if you have any questions.

Super nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, and very familiar with the WR250R/X and 290 version.
Back to top Go down
mattnadz

mattnadz

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:22 am

Awesome thanks Thinair! I tried those settings last night for about 30mins and there was no bogging or engine cutoff Very happy I'm just wondering if I can now dial it in better since my altitude is only around 500ft not 5000. Do u know with number to change if your altitude is lower?
Back to top Go down
thinair

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 4:45 pm

mattnadz wrote:
Awesome thanks Thinair! I tried those settings last night for about 30mins and there was no bogging or engine cutoff Very happy I'm just wondering if I can now dial it in better since my altitude is only around 500ft not 5000. Do u know with number to change if your altitude is lower?

Not a clue. I'd suggest calling Matt if you have a question regarding altitude. I don't think altitude has much to do with it though. He tuned it to my bike, and by that I mean the following.

AIS removed
Exup removed
Major Airbox Surgery - I think how you do it does matter according to Matt and his dyno testing.
13/47 gearing
Q4 can

Absolutely no doubt this thing runs stronger across the whole power band. Actually fun power delivery now.

I'd suggest that if it's working good for you, keep it there for a good long while and get really accustomed to the fell of the bike in all situations, and only then start playing with the second and third settings.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 am

Dobecks rather good to deal with,mine quit twice and got to talk to the guy who built it. full replacement each time with pre paid envelope. I put air box door back on,less noise and no flatspot.
Back to top Go down
mattnadz

mattnadz

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 10:45 am

sweet thanks guys thumb
I'll have to give that Matt guy a shout then.
Back to top Go down
mattnadz

mattnadz

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 7:53 am

Never mind it crapped out on me again on the way to work at 530am well passing 3 cars my engine decided to cut out and almost get me in a head on crash. So back to the drawing board I guess. Does engine cutting out at long and hi rpm's mean my fuel pump acting up? Also do u guys think if I remove the airbox door I might get more air flow and my engine might just need that? Or does that not effect it to much? I know I have to call that Matt guy now budah
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 9:30 am

I'd put the settings back to the original FMF spec and see how it ran.

If the engine just up and quit running, then there more than just a settings problem.
Back to top Go down
Chaunster12

Chaunster12

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 12:13 pm

mattnadz wrote:
Hey guys so I have the FMF programmer hooked up correct with settings: 3-5-0.5-8-4-4 and in sixth gear when i roll on the throttle a bit maybe 4000-6000RPM's my engine cuts out for a second until I let off the throttle then it fires again. Maybe too Rich dunno

Any ideas what is happening and what i can do or try guys???
Thanks
Matt.

Similar thing happened to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiYUvS4sYfs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

4300ft elevation
Fmf programmer (stock settings with yellow bumped up two lights)
Powercore 4
Powerbomb header
K&n air filter
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Bumb up 5th figure to about 6 or so. If it is set too low it will interfeer with something else. (dont remeber what right now...)
Thats what dobeck told me anaway...
My stumbling is now gone and i have done all kinds of mods.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 1:47 am

thinair wrote:
abchel wrote:

Rode my R2 over to the makers of FMF programmer today, Dobeck Performance, and met with Matt Stoxen. He took a look at my bike, asked some questions about the airbox, saw my FMF Q4, asked about AIS and EXUP then offered to set my bike based on their dyno tests. Then he told me that dyno settings are fine but actual riding is the real world test. Rode my bike, came back 15 minutes later and said he dialed it.

3, 2.5, 1, 8, 3, 4.

In Bozeman Mt at 5,000ft.

Runs AWESOME now.

Call Matt at 406-388-2377 if you have any questions.

Super nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, and very familiar with the WR250R/X and 290 version.

Any updates in this since you changed the numbers? Has it cut out since?
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 2:24 am

If the cutting out is random I would suspect fuel delivery (pump, filter, water) or maybe an electrical short. Either that or (sorry Mattnadz) you're hitting the rev limiter! Shift you maniac! Very happy

Thinair - Thanks for the Dobeck feedback. Looks like we're about the same. I'm;

AIS & Flapper done.
Leo Vince X3 pipe
13/48 gearing
K&N Filter
CO set at 2
5000' ASL
FMF at 3-4-1-8-6-4.5

Running great but am going to try to lean it out by dropping the CO to maybe 0. Have a very slight rich bog from idle when revved fast in neutral but not under load.

Thinair - You said "Major Airbox Surgery". Can you describe, and in what form was it when Dobeck tweaked it?
Back to top Go down
Chaunster12

Chaunster12

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Just tried out "Just Bob"s settings, works wonderful for me so far!
I do however have to blip the throttle when starting now.

AIS soon to go. Does it effect pp tuning???

35F degrees outside today!
4300ft elevation
Fmf programmer (3-4-1-8-6-4.5)
Powercore 4 pipe
Powerbomb header
K&n air filter
Shinko 244 tires (until summer rolls around)
-1t front sprocket
12o'clock labs speedo-healer
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 am

Chaunster12 wrote:
Just tried out "Just Bob"s settings

No credit due me on these settings. I found them here on another thread and they made sense. Sorry I can't credit the original poster. I think I read every thread and post here after a topic search and would be hard to find it again. If anyone knows or is the original poster, you have my thanks for your work. Take a bow. thumb
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Don't fool yourself...   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 3:18 pm

...this is some weird stuff... GAHHHH

First of all, I've been under the impression for years that the advantage of an FI bike (fuel injected) is that elevation has no effect on the fueling like a carb'd bike. Sounds like someone is spinning a a web of B.S.

Quote :

The nice thing about a FI engine with a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor is that it automatically compensates for altitude.
While EFI compensates for the altitude change, it doesn't provide the same power at all altitudes, just optimizes the engine automatically for the altitude/temperature variations.

That said and assuming we can put it aside, my bike does the same EXACT thing, cuts out for a few moments like it's just been cut off at the knees, at no warning and no certain circumstances. I rode 300 miles yesterday and it happen about 3 times. Disconcerting to say the least when you think about that very thing that happened to inmate maddnadz.
My bike has all the same mods sans a drilled out airbox. I have a stock pipe now. It happens with either pipe just to note.

I've used fuel nannys on several bikes with no such thing, including the original Dobeck modules for BMWs.
It's not coincidence that so many WR FMF program equipped bikes have the same symptons.
Methinks Dobeck is dodging the issue, or BS'n you guys with 'settings' fixes.
Granted settings may help you with elevation but probably oly slightly.

If there is a short or power cut-off, it's coming from the Dobeck box.
Don't fool yourself.

I have a request for advice into Dobeck...
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 5:01 pm

...answer....:
Hello,

The Yellow/Blue mode needs to be set to 7. The yellow is just turning on too soon for the light roll on and making the bike overly rich.

Thanks,

Matt Stoxen

Tech/R&D

Dobeck Performance
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 5:36 pm

When I am cruising at a constant throttle position for awhile, maybe minute or so such as in traffic, and roll it on fast'ish I get a definite bog but it doesn't cut out. I am gonna try the yellow/blue mode adjustment and see if it helps. Default settings so far on the EFI programmer. Mods are as below.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 5:38 pm

IAmABug wrote:
When I am cruising at a constant throttle position for awhile, maybe minute or so such as in traffic, and roll it on fast'ish I get a definite bog but it doesn't cut out. I am gonna try the yellow/blue mode adjustment and see if it helps. Default settings so far on the EFI programmer. Mods are as below.

Quote :
I called Dobeck Industries & spoke to Dallas, he said that dropping the first # (amount of fuel added at cruise) one whole number will suffice for better mileage (so, first # changed from 3 to a 2 in my case). Any lower, and you risk running lean, especially with the free-flowing airbox mod and Q4 pipe.

Also, noticed today that while cruising in 6th at say 50-60 mph, the bike had a slight stumble a time or two, as in no power until I chopped off the throttle (rode all day yesterday and that never happened). He recommended changing the 5th # up a bit (from a 4 to a 6 in my case). He said they may even tell FMF to have that as the standard setting in the instructions, since they are receiving several comments on this issue:

3 - 4 - 1 - 8 - 6 - 4.5

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 5:40 pm

The BOG is different than the cut-out. Usually helps to grab a gear (downshift) and bring your revs up to prevent bogging.
These lil motors want to rev...
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Rapid Dog wrote:
...answer....:
Hello,

The Yellow/Blue mode needs to be set to 7. The yellow is just turning on too soon for the light roll on and making the bike overly rich.

Thanks,

Matt Stoxen

Tech/R&D

Dobeck Performance

Then there's this. deal

I'm not sure why people seem afraid to mess with settings on these programmers and see what works for them.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 8:08 pm

Don't blame the Dobeck before you remove it to confirm it is in fact causing the problem. If its a complete cut-out I would suspect electrical, ie; sidestand or clutch switch or even a bad coil. Lets be sure before we burn witches.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems Empty

Back to top Go down

FMF Programmer Problems
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next