Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

FMF Programmer Problems

Go down 
+11
Rapid Dog
Just Bob
Swagger
mr-cave
Chaunster12
YZEtc
dtx
thinair
abchel
motokid
mattnadz
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rapid Dog

FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 9:38 pm

...not burning bridges or witches here Bob.
But you have to admit, unless there's a list of complaints about the cut-out by owners that don't use a controller, it seems pretty likely it's the box.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:22 am

Actually, there are quite a few posts about cutout problems that have nothing to do with fuel programmers. Don't mean to be argumentative, but if you can isolate the problem through elimination or testing...
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:58 am

Just Bob wrote:
Actually, there are quite a few posts about cutout problems that have nothing to do with fuel programmers. Don't mean to be argumentative, but if you can isolate the problem through elimination or testing...

Please post because I, like others, never had any problems prior to the programmer ....I assure you Just Bob, this is not a phantom cutout problem if we're having the problems at the same time. Cruising speed and a sudden loss if power. Happens once a week with mine. I took Moto Kids advise and disconnected it and ran it for over a week with no problems. Reinstalled over the weekend and it did it today....is your real name Dobeck? amazon
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 11:03 am

[quote="Swagger"]
Just Bob wrote:
... Happens once a week with mine. I took Moto Kids advise and disconnected it and ran it for over a week with no problems. Reinstalled over the weekend and it did it today..

I rest my argument... Very happy ...it's likely it's the box. I've ridden my bud's stock WR for many miles without a hint of a problem.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 8:52 pm

[quote="Rapid Dog"]
Swagger wrote:
Just Bob wrote:
... Happens once a week with mine. I took Moto Kids advise and disconnected it and ran it for over a week with no problems. Reinstalled over the weekend and it did it today..

I rest my argument... Very happy ...it's likely it's the box. I've ridden my bud's stock WR for many miles without a hint of a problem.

Rapido Arfo - I can't find anywhere in this thread where the above quote came from. As pasted it looks like I said it or Swagger. Is this from another thread?

Anyway, if it is this person's experience I'd like to hear how it was resolved. Like was it a bad controller or wiring or ground or was it a programming issue, ie; too rich.

I don't care if I'm wrong. Been married thirty plus years so I'm really used to being told I'm wrong. Very happy

To the other poster, no, I'm not Dobeck. But I do own an FMF programmer and want to know everything I can about it.
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Third post up just above mine Bobster (Yesterday at 11:58 pm)

Swagger sed it:
Swagger wrote:
[.. Happens once a week with mine. I took Moto Kids advise and disconnected it and ran it for over a week with no problems. Reinstalled over the weekend and it did it today..
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Rapid Dog wrote:
Third post up just above mine Bobster (Yesterday at 11:58 pm)

Swagger sed it:
Swagger wrote:
[.. Happens once a week with mine. I took Moto Kids advise and disconnected it and ran it for over a week with no problems. Reinstalled over the weekend and it did it today..

Duh. Now I see it. Sorry to crowd the thread with my senior moments.

So, Swag and Rapid - I assume you also tried adjusting the number five setting at six or higher?
Back to top Go down
jpatt

jpatt

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 3:27 pm

EFI noob here. I was adjusting my programmer yesterday and had an odd thing come up... where I should have seen either yellow blue or red blue modes, I saw red/yellow. verified a bunch of times I see red and yellow leds simultaneously. Anyone experience this? should I just call Dobeck?
Back to top Go down
jpatt

jpatt

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 3:36 pm

nevermind... matt said that is their way of showing just yellow. Now to find ten minutes to get back at it.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Motokid wrote:
I'm not sure why people seem afraid to mess with settings on these programmers and see what works for them.

For me, I am not afraid to play with it, I am just having issues figuring out why and what I should change to make a difference. I guess I just have to change a number up a couple or vise versa and ride it and see what difference it makes.

What I would like to fix is I am getting hesitation going from half throttle to WOT after cruising for a while.  What setting would I start with???
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 7:59 pm

IAmABug wrote:

What I would like to fix is I am getting hesitation going from half throttle to WOT after cruising for a while.  What setting would I start with???

Perhaps you're running too rich at the cruise setting so that when you gas it it does a bog. Just a thought. You could try lowering the cruise value to see.
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 9:15 pm

Okay, I was having the stumble occasionally, mostly while gingerly cruising in sixth gear -- sudden full loss of throttle.

I started at 3-4-1-8-6-4.5

So I've been playing with the settings and trying to figure things out, but only seeming to make it happen more frequently.

Went with 2-4-3-4-8-7 but it was worse.

Tried 3-3-3-8-8-8 but had two stumbles within 10 miles while riding two up with my 140 is pound daughter (not sure if the extra weight on the bike might give some clues).

That's when I started taking individual settings back to invisible to see if/when it would cure the trouble. I started by zeroing (actually dropping to .5) the first and fourth setting -- still stumbled (settings were .5-3-3-.5-8-8) I bumped them back up and zeroed out the 3rd and 6th (3-3-.5-8-8-.5) and it still stumbled.

Then finally dropped the 2nd and 5th to zero (3-.5-3-8-.5-8) and here it ran without stumble at high speed, but I lost power twice under hard acceleration in third or fourth gear! This was the first time it happened under hard acceleration, totally confused now.

So I bumped Dobecks faith number back up and dropped left the second setting (acceleration) invisible -- (3-.5-3-8-8-8) that's where it sits, and as of my last ride, 40 miles and no issues. Most of the time before it would rear its head within 15-20 miles.

I know this is experimentation, but so far it seems that I'm better with the second number invisible. However, that's acceleration, and I think I can feel a notable difference without it...

I'm just shooting in the dark. Does anyone with more sense than me see a pattern of potential behavior (the fuel programmer, not me!) in what I've tried to communicate? Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 am

Jeez... A lot of diagnostics time. I'm clueless. I guess I'd try going back to a prior setting and try and replicate the bog and if it didn't return I'd suspect a random short or open circuit in the wiring or the unit itself or even a connector pin.

I can't remember... Did you post up your CO setting. I would expect it to be a factor in the general tuning scheme.

Looking forward to how this progresses. Maddening, but interesting.
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks Bob.

What's my "CO setting"? What does CO mean? Sorry, I'm a total newb.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 7:26 am

xaman wrote:
Thanks Bob.

What's my "CO setting"? What does CO mean? Sorry, I'm a total newb.

click me <-- go here for CO mode adjustment.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks dude. That's quite a brain stretching (for me) thread. I'll look into it when I get back home in a few days...
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:46 am

...O.K., I think the bump up to 7 or 8 on the blue/yellow from Dobeck's suggestion did the trick, so I'm a total dipshidt (maybe). So far no more cut-outs, that makes me happy-er. ot knowing WTF would happen on a trip made me nervous-ish.
I'm a bit A.D.D. when it comes to electrical stuff, admitted.

I probably had the settings all fooked anyhow.
There's base, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7..or is it just 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...?
Anyhow, I thnk I gotitnow.
I dig this lil scoot! wings
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 1:23 am

So, although I haven't gotten around to checking my CO settings, I have logged a few more miles and gotten a pattern:

I did over 125 miles without any stumble in this setting:

3-.5-3-8-8-8

So I tried to up the second number to 1.5 (3-1.5-3-8-8-8) and it reoccurred within 10 miles.

I went back to 3-.5-3-8-8-8 and rode another 100 miles without incident.

I'd sure like to know if it's the programmer that's faulty, or if there's some other combination of things that's causing the second setting to be problematic.

New rear tire and new sprocket combo on the way, wonder if that'll change anything...
Back to top Go down
seattlewrguy

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 am

when i first installed my FMF Q4 and FMF programmer i used 3-3-3-8-8-8 and had the stumble around 50MPH.

i tried 3-.5-3-8-8-8 which seemed to eliminate the stumble but my gas mileage went to 40MPG. not good because i need better range.

this weekend i tried 2.5-2.5-.5-8-4-4.5 and got 53MPG but gained the stumble around 75MPH. i do not often go 75MPH but when i do i would like it not to stumble.

has anyone experienced this and have the kinks worked out?

is 3-.5-3-8-8-8 the magic number?

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 am

A lot of guys love the hell out of this: 3 - 4 - 1 - 8 - 6 - 4.5

You want that fifth number at, or over 6 deal

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 8:03 pm

seattlewrguy wrote:
when i first installed my FMF Q4 and FMF programmer i used 3-3-3-8-8-8 and had the stumble around 50MPH.

i tried 3-.5-3-8-8-8 which seemed to eliminate the stumble but my gas mileage went to 40MPG. not good because i need better range.

this weekend i tried 2.5-2.5-.5-8-4-4.5 and got 53MPG but gained the stumble around 75MPH. i do not often go 75MPH but when i do i would like it not to stumble.

I've put close to 2000 miles on mine now with those settings without incident. It seems for me that the second setting is the problem. As long as it's invisible, no stumble. In my reading I haven't seen others posting the same concerns, which made me think my unit was faulty or such. I have been meaning to call and ask the shop if they have any ideas, but haven't gotten around to it. I can't seem to remember to do it during business hours, lol.

Good luck man, keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Oh yeah, I meant to add:

I was initially disappointed in the seat of the pants feel when the second setting was .5... But then I did a gearing change, which more than compensated for the acceleration setting, so I have kind of forgotten about the problem :)
Back to top Go down
seattlewrguy

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 8:55 am

those settings look good so far. hopefully that will give me at least 50MPG.

motokid wrote:

Back to top Go down
seattlewrguy

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 8:59 am

that setting had me at 40MPG which doesn't work for me so well. i sometimes run mountain roads with just over 100 miles between gas stations out here. i small fuel bottle will get me the rest of the way.

i know there are other options to resolve the 2 gallon tank issue. but i would rather seek tuning changes first, since tuning is what dropped my MPG to begin with.

xaman wrote:
seattlewrguy wrote:

I've put close to 2000 miles on mine now with those settings without incident. It seems for me that the second setting is the problem. As long as it's invisible, no stumble. In my reading I haven't seen others posting the same concerns, which made me think my unit was faulty or such. I have been meaning to call and ask the shop if they have any ideas, but haven't gotten around to it. I can't seem to remember to do it during business hours, lol.

Good luck man, keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 9:07 am

seattlewrguy wrote:
those settings look good so far. hopefully that will give me at least 50MPG.

motokid wrote:

I can't imagine what kind of riding you're doing on an R to be getting under 50 mpg.

Only thing I can think of is either lots of super-slab highway miles at over 65mph, or a shit-load of wheel spin in off-road conditions.

There's people here on R's that are getting 60-75 mpg and claim to not be pussy-footing around.

I love to live on the rev limiter on my X and am consistently in the 55mpg range.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer Problems   FMF Programmer Problems - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FMF Programmer Problems
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next