Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

For those that have installed X wheels on their R...

Go down 
+6
Dabo
vwsandman
craigq
mattf
debaisley
trav72
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
trav72

trav72

For those that have installed X wheels on their R... Empty
PostSubject: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 10:01 am

Did you also swap out the fork protectors as well? Or did you you use the R fork protectors? I plan on swapping back and forth pretty regularly. I'll be using the sumo wheels for commuting and occasional track days. Then the R wheels will go back on for weekend rides. I would rather just use the R protectors and not have to add one more thing to the swap procedure. The only difference I see is the placement of the brake hose clamp. It's a little further down on the X protectors.
Back to top Go down
debaisley

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 pm

I have the X fork protectors on my R , and they work for both my dirt wheels and the sumo wheels, Though I dont know if the R fork protectors will work with the sumo wheels , I didnt even try , I wanted the X protectors because they are black , and they are also stiffer.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:38 pm

I swap them each time but I have heard others say the same as debaisly and only use the X ones if you don't swap each time. they are also stiffer as mentioned.
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 4:33 pm

+1 for both sets of fork protectors, with my 120 front the WRR fork protector had some rubbing : https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1894-wrr-to-wrx

I swap the protectors with the wheels...
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 5:22 pm

craigq wrote:
+1 for both sets of fork protectors, with my 120 front the WRR fork protector had some rubbing : https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1894-wrr-to-wrx

I swap the protectors with the wheels...

After seeing how close the brakeline is on the R protectors, I guess I better order the X guards. Do they come in white for the X?
Back to top Go down
vwsandman

vwsandman

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 6:09 pm

+1 on the X fork protectors, I only use those with both wheels. Try to add a -10- in the part number for the fork protectors for the X, that second to last two numbers in the part number is the color code, -10- is for white.... i think all X's had black protectors no matter what color though...Same with the R I think they only had white...
Back to top Go down
Dabo

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 pm

I just received a set of SM wheels and X guards from Wheeling Cycle for my R. I installed the X guards tonight and noticed that I had to "pull" a lot more brake line down for the caliper to fit. For those of you who swap wheels, did you use the stock brake line or buy a longer braided line? Did you modify the bend of the R brake line bracket or use it as is?
FYI, When I ordered the wheels, Forest said that the stock white R guards would work with the x wheels. He said the plastic just needed to be trimmed and the bracket slightly bent.

Thanks,

Dan
Back to top Go down
YamRZ350

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm using R fork guards with the X wheels I recently installed.

I switched to a Spiegler brake line at the same time, and modified the line clamp a little. No tire rubbing yet.

With all the changes I made, I don't know if that answers your question or not?
Back to top Go down
vwsandman

vwsandman

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 3:22 am

stock brake lines with both sets of wheels. no issues
Back to top Go down
Dabo

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 7:22 am

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I'll see if I can route the stock brake line first. The Spiegler brake lines look nice and robust. Did you buy the stock X brake line, P/N: S-YAO217, or custom length? I'm guessing the X line is longer than the R.

Thanks again,
Dan
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to mount it all up with the R guards and see how everything fits. If not, I'll order some X guards and leave them on there for both setups. I don't want to have to replace the guards every time I do the swap. That's a little ridiculous to me.
Back to top Go down
YamRZ350

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 am

Dabo wrote:
Thanks for the prompt feedback. I'll see if I can route the stock brake line first. The Spiegler brake lines look nice and robust. Did you buy the stock X brake line, P/N: S-YAO217, or custom length? I'm guessing the X line is longer than the R.

Thanks again,
Dan

Both lines are within a few mm of each other, the difference is where the plastic guides are fitted to the line.

I ordered an R line and with a few small mods where it goes thru the clamps it seems fine.

The other reason I went for the better line, was I thought there would be extra lever travel with the smaller R master cyl. and X caliper.
I didn't want to add to that with the stock rubber line expanding with use. It's all worked well so far.
Back to top Go down
YamRZ350

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:32 pm

Maybe a few pictures will help?

For those that have installed X wheels on their R... IMG_2240
For those that have installed X wheels on their R... IMG_2241
For those that have installed X wheels on their R... IMG_2242

Back to top Go down
Dabo

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks for the photos, that helps. I think the front disk from Wheeling(EBC) has a larger diameter (320mm/12.5") than the one in the picture. I can barely get the caliper between the disk and rim when mounting the x wheels. What type of aftermarket disk are you running?

Dan
Back to top Go down
YamRZ350

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 am

It's a spare EBC Pro-Lite from my old R6 racebike. 298 mm just like a stock X rotor.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 8:19 am

Well, I was able to mount up the X wheels using the R fork guards with no problem. Yes they're a little close to the tire but do not touch. It's great to have both setups. I rode about 40-50 miles on Saturday of single track then about 50 miles of pavement yesterday. Well worth the effort and expense to me!

For those that have installed X wheels on their R... 1624d992942e5e5d
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 9:14 am

Nice setup! Are you going to drive it to work?

trav72 wrote:
Well, I was able to mount up the X wheels using the R fork guards with no problem. Yes they're a little close to the tire but do not touch. It's great to have both setups. I rode about 40-50 miles on Saturday of single track then about 50 miles of pavement yesterday. Well worth the effort and expense to me!

For those that have installed X wheels on their R... 1624d992942e5e5d
Back to top Go down
Dabo

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 9:39 am

Looks good. The brake line looks longer than stock, is it aftermarket? I'm still waiting on the caliper adapter bracket to arrive in the mail. Torture.

Dan
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 am

njbill wrote:
Nice setup! Are you going to drive it to work?

Yep! I'm going to start commuting on it and I've got a couple of supermoto track days planned. I'm also going to take it down Skyline/Blue Ridge at the end of May. I did that last year on my VFR so it should be interesting on the little WRR.

Dabo wrote:
Looks good. The brake line looks longer than stock, is it aftermarket? I'm still waiting on the caliper adapter bracket to arrive in the mail. Torture.

Dan

No it's the stock brake line. But the way the R fork guard is I made sure there was no slack at all from the caliper to the guard since the line is very close to the rim.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Trav,
So how much fun is the bike with the 17's on it??? I'm thinking of making my R an X being I have the F now and just using it as a street bike...

Anyone with a X that wished they had a R???
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Tammy wrote:
Trav,
So how much fun is the bike with the 17's on it??? I'm thinking of making my R an X being I have the F now and just using it as a street bike...

I only put the 17's on it this past Sunday and rode around for about 50 miles. In that short distance, I've come to the conclusion that it's extremely fun! I hopped a few curbs, rode up and down some stairs and jumped off some loading docks in an industrial park. Basically road it around like it was a motorized mountain bike. I'm 38, married with 9 and 14 year old daughters and I felt like I was a kid on it. I was having flash backs of my BMX days. It was great! Very happy
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Life is always better when your doing something that makes you feel like a kid..
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Tammy wrote:
Life is always better when your doing something that makes you feel like a kid..

Isn't that the truth! thumb
Back to top Go down
Dabo

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:41 pm

I have a question for those of you that use X SM wheels on you R. Do you use a separate front brake assembly with brake line and brake handle when swapping to the X wheels?

The reason I ask is that I bought the wheeling setup which runs a 320mm disk on a R wheel and has a adapter bracket for the front brake assembly. Unfortunately, the bracket design has changed and requires the brake to be removed from the stock bracket and mounted to the new adapter. This is a pain and more of a perminent setup. I have the option to go to a X front wheel with dedicated brake assembly. Any issues with that setup?

I need to make a decision quickly and any input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks for your help,

Dan
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:57 pm

I have an entire seperate brake assembly to use with the X wheels(caliper, brake line, master cylinder). I just unbolt one front brake set and bolt on the other. The entire swap takes less than 30 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For those that have installed X wheels on their R...   For those that have installed X wheels on their R... Empty

Back to top Go down

For those that have installed X wheels on their R...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next