Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

*BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan

Go down 
+3
mordicai
SheWolf
rodney
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rodney

*BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan Empty
PostSubject: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyTue May 31, 2011 8:51 am

*EDIT* figured it out, it was a burnt up fan relay. burnt the connector and everything... :(

yesterday i rode 30 miles of tight gnarly singletrack, most of the time in 2nd gear. the temp light came on, but i never heard the fan. i let the bike sit about 10 minutes, and the light went off, and i was on my way. i looked at the radiator, and the front of it had mud on it, but it was not packed. the fan was not jammed nor clogged either.

i have not gotten the chance to take it apart or check the manual, but if the fan was doa, would we get a CEL on the bike? the bike never stumbled, or even acted funny. the only thing was the light was on.

Last edited by rodney on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:35 am

If you shut the bike off and the fan was running, turn the key back on without starting it and the fan should run. If it's not, check the fuse. You won't get a CEL on that but you will get one if the sensor craps out.

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyTue May 31, 2011 10:01 am

thanks, i will check the fuse tonight. never heard the fan at all, engine running or not.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyTue May 31, 2011 10:25 am

You guys are making me nervous. I run this thing WFO in hot weather on the Interstate and have never heard the fan come on or seen the temp light. In fact, this is the first motorcycle I've ever owned that doesn't burn the hell out of my right leg!
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyTue May 31, 2011 10:54 am

Mine only comes on when doing single track or very slow dirt riding--never had it come on on the road with air flow.

mordicai wrote:
You guys are making me nervous. I run this thing WFO in hot weather on the Interstate and have never heard the fan come on or seen the temp light. In fact, this is the first motorcycle I've ever owned that doesn't burn the hell out of my right leg!
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyTue May 31, 2011 11:00 am

That makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyTue May 31, 2011 12:11 pm

Never heard the fan come on during the high speed (we're talking relative here, folks) three hour long runs on the slab.

It WILL come on with sustained climbs up steep mountain logging roads in the lower gears. Every time.

And the right leg does get quite warm-ish then...

I will throw a wild assed guess out to the audience that the amount of air flow that small-ish looking radiator is getting has a lot to do with it.

The guys with the most insight into cooling and fan operation on this bike must be the members living down in the hotter climes.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyTue May 31, 2011 1:38 pm

its worth sticking your hand down there and spinning the fan to see if it turns "freely", while the bike is off of course, or on depending on what kind of sensations you enjoy.

i had a radiator fan on my CBR get jammed once, some how a pebble ricoched off my leg im guessing and went right into the grove on the van in between the drive and the actual fan, preventing it from moving.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyTue May 31, 2011 1:39 pm

spacecadet wrote:
its worth sticking your hand down there and spinning the fan to see if it turns "freely", while the bike is off of course, or on depending on what kind of sensations you enjoy.

i had a radiator fan on my CBR get jammed once, some how a pebble ricoched off my leg im guessing and went right into the grove on the van in between the drive and the actual fan, preventing it from moving.
lol actually read your post, never mind and good luck getting it figure out!
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyTue May 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Mine turns on quite often, even when it's cool, but I prefer slow single track stuff.
Back to top Go down
rodney

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 8:53 pm

figured it out, it was a burnt up relay. burnt the connector and everything... dddog
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 12:06 am

eeek Holy shit I wonder what caused that?!

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 2:31 am

Yeah, I'm curious as well. Some say liquid cooling is just one more thing that can go wrong, and sometimes they're right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan   *BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan Empty

Back to top Go down

*BAD FAN RELAY* temp light? never heard fan
Page 1 of 1