Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Anyone have any ideas?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lotsofwheels

Anyone have any ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have any ideas?   Anyone have any ideas? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 12:15 am

About 9 months ago my bike died in traffic. I couldn't get it to restart. Seemed like it might be the fuel pump since I couldn't hear it. After pushing about 3 miles it fired up and ran fine for the next 8 months. Then about 1 month ago it wouldn't start at work. Trailered it home and it then started right up at home. Couple of days ago there was a repeat performance, but it fired up after sitting for a couple of hours.

Then today it did it again after work. It sat a couple of hours and then started right up. Had to stop at a coworker's house on the way home and I goofed and turned it off. Wouldn't start(couldn't hear fuel pump). I pushed it about a mile and tried again. Couldn't hear the fuel pump, but it started right up and ran fine. When I got it home I turned it off and it wouldn't restart. But I bet if I go try it now it will.

Both times when it wouldn't start after work it would sputter a bit and then eventually stop firing altogether.

It's been erratic enough that I haven't been able to narrow down the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any ideas.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have any ideas?   Anyone have any ideas? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 5:43 am

What year is the bike?

Have you checked your battery? Or replaced it? Is it original battery?

Some people have had problems with the kill switch wires in the hand controls.
Some have had issues with kick stand wires shorting somewhere if they've bypassed the safety switch.

Just reflecting on some of the problems others have had.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have any ideas?   Anyone have any ideas? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:01 am

Not hearing the fuel pump when you turn on the key would lead me to believe the fuel pump, especially if it runs sometimes, and then quits others. Once it cools down it fires back up until it heats up again, then quits. It sounds like your fuel pump is weak, which has been a problem with the early model 08's. Not all of them have had it, but there have been a fair number of ppl who have reported exactly the thing you describe and the culprit was the fuel pump. Suspect

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have any ideas?   Anyone have any ideas? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:48 am

SheWolf wrote:
Not hearing the fuel pump when you turn on the key would lead me to believe the fuel pump, especially if it runs sometimes, and then quits others. Once it cools down it fires back up until it heats up again, then quits. It sounds like your fuel pump is weak, which has been a problem with the early model 08's. Not all of them have had it, but there have been a fair number of ppl who have reported exactly the thing you describe and the culprit was the fuel pump. Suspect

+1. That would be my guess as well!
Back to top Go down
lotsofwheels

PostSubject: Thanks   Anyone have any ideas? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 6:28 pm

trav72 wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

+1. That would be my guess as well!

The fuel pump was my first guess also. But it seemed strange that the bike ran fine until shut off and then wouldn't restart. However, it is an '08 model, so I guess I'd better look at the fuel pump
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have any ideas?   Anyone have any ideas? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 6:41 pm

If it's weak at all, it won't pressurize when it's hot it seems. When it's cooled off it kicks in but then once it warms up it craps out again. budah

PostSubject: That did it   Anyone have any ideas? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 7:40 am

I replaced the pump and all seems well now.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have any ideas?   Anyone have any ideas? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 7:54 am

lotsofwheels wrote:
I replaced the pump and all seems well now.

Thanks

Thanks for the update. Where did you get the new pump from?

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have any ideas?   Anyone have any ideas? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 11:01 am

First of all lotsofwheels,,I think it's awesome that you are riding a dirt bike at 63..I'm 40 and sometimes I feel too old to be riding offroad........I'm glad to hear that you got the fuel pump fixed.I just ordered a new pump yesterday from ONLINE CYCLE PARTS.COM for $220 with free shipping..My bike only acted up once last augest but I was 150 miles from where I was staying and I was shitting my pants thinking how the hell am going to get home,,,,I was north of Lincoln Maine and it felt like I was in the middle of nowhere.....after going back and forth about if I should replace it,I finally decided it was worth it. I justified it by not buying the rear rack and tail bag I was going to buy and instead spent the $ on a new pump..........could you tell us the build date and last 4 #s of your vin? I'm just wondering if it's close to mine,,,mine is 5/08 for the build date and the last 4 of my vin is 2419...................Jason
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have any ideas?   Anyone have any ideas? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone have any ideas?
Page 1 of 1