Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bars???

Go down 
+6
trav72
DougZ
silentwolf
spadgitt
pbnut
snakeears
10 posters
AuthorMessage
snakeears

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi all I have noticed a lot of WR riders change the stock bars, I am wondering what the advantages are?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:19 am

Less weight, different bends to suit different size people and tastes, looks, new grips of your choice, just to name a few.
Back to top Go down
spadgitt

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:54 am

All of the above and they are a lot stronger!
Nothing can ruin a ride like a broken bar .

Scott P.
Back to top Go down
silentwolf

silentwolf

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 4:15 pm

The biggest problem with the stock bars on the WRR is that it's steel and the crossbar is welded. If you drop the bike, the all the force transfers from the fallen grip at the crossbar connection. The crossbar being smaller tubular steel doesn't take the stress. = easier to bend. The only reason I would keep the stock bar on is that in the middle of nowhere I could bend it back easier if I had a major twist.

Aftermarket aluminum bars with the independent (solid) crossbar can shift under pressure and transfer the energy through the bar. Fat bars do this by increasing the width of the bar at the bend to take higher stress.

As mentioned there are tons of reasons to have a new bar for strength, weight and appearance. For me the most important reason is a custom fit, which allows you more confidence and better control.
Back to top Go down
snakeears

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks for the info, based on that I have decided to change bars, so I am 5 8" and the bars feel a little low when I stand on the pegs, can anyone suggest a bar for me? and do I need to change the clamps?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:08 pm

I had an issue bending bars...so I got some Protapers based on recommendations. By looking at their wall thickness, hopefully they won't.
Compared to stock:
Bars??? 2011-06-14_21-56-36_100
Back to top Go down
silentwolf

silentwolf

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:39 am

snakeears wrote:
Thanks for the info, based on that I have decided to change bars, so I am 5 8" and the bars feel a little low when I stand on the pegs, can anyone suggest a bar for me? and do I need to change the clamps?

Thanks

I'm a hair under 5'8" myself and I felt the same way - I want more leverage like my other bikes. I eventually went really high because I have a few other things mounted up front. Depending on the kind of bend (bar angle) you want, you might need to consider risers for height so you can use a lower bar that you like. I've currently got the Zeta 19mm bar riser (includes top clamps) and a Renthal jimmy button bend.

I haven't gone through too many bars in my lifetime, but I have to say that these Renthals have put up to the most abuse so far. Both of my pro tapers (and the stocker) bent up pretty quick. One from a street accident but the other just from general use. (yeah I need to keep the bike on two wheels... Rolling Eyes ) I'm hoping to check out the Zeta handlebars since they have a funky rib design that looks interesting.

You can try a fat bar too, if you want some more room between the bars, I know quite a few have gone that route as well.

And for the sake of experimentation, there's usually a bunch of used ones on ebay to at least try different bends without having to spend $50-100 to see if you like it...
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:49 am

My answer: they're to low, bend to easy and steel bars suck.

High bend aluminum fat bars FTW!
Bars??? Bars10
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:42 pm

I make my own bars out of chrome/moly. Very strong, will not bend, no crossbar needed, 7/8" will fit stock clamps. High profile, no bar risers needed. I'll make you a set.
Bars??? Bars002
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:33 pm

Mine bent in a crash in the national forest. I took the opportunity to go with something with more rise for comfort.
Back to top Go down
crookedtoothbastard

crookedtoothbastard

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm Rockin the FatBar R/C highbends on protaper clamps, cuz I think higher and wider is better...oh and they're all black for extra sexiness!
Back to top Go down
gas_pig70

gas_pig70

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 1:29 am

ProTaper Contour Windham/RM MID here. Taller than stock but not ape hangers. Can take a hit without bending and definately lighter. The sweep is perfect for me though I did cut off a bit on each end for the woods. I had the same bend on my DRZ previously and just love it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bars??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bars???   Bars??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bars???
Page 1 of 1