Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

bike died...Fuel Pump

Go down 
+5
f3joel
SheWolf
greer
ruud
smitty!!!
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
smitty!!!

bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:29 pm

Just got of the phone with the shop. You know it's funny I would have thought that it was the charging system because of the symptoms.

It was...

The Fuel Pump. Well, I'm glad that got taken care of. They took it off of a floor model. I just hope it was from 2010 model. My build date was 06/08.

I'm impressed with the service of these guys. They drove 71 miles to my house picked up my bike fixed it in a few hours and are delivering here today. Wow. Hopefully the got the right diagnosis. I would really hate to be stranded again only to find there where two problems and only one of them got fixed.

-smitty

Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Yep..   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:35 pm

That would track in a specific set of circumstances. With a marginally charged battery when you push the starter button the battery has sufficient capacity to engage the starter relay. As soon as the contacts in the relay close the starter is powered--but--the battery has insufficient capacity to turn the starter motor--which immediately puts a major drain on the weak battery. This drops it's capacity to a level that will not continue to hold the relay contacts closed. This disengages the relay contacts and power is removed from the starter motor. At the same time you are still holding the starter button down. As soon as the draw (demand) of the starter motor is removed the battery now has capacity to close the relay contacts and the process starts all over. In the case of the fuel pump motor the demand is much less and it will run--weakly as you say--on a weak battery. At some level of battery charge the same thing will happen with the fuel pump relay and it will flutter as well--all be it not for long as other systems continue to drain the weak battery and voltage levels drop to a point where for all intent the battery is exhausted.

SheWolf wrote:
I guess I'll have to post what my experience was then in regards to a dead battery. Before I installed a relay system for all my electrical accessories, someone had toyed with my heated grip switch and drained my battery. When I went to go start my bike, it wouldn't start, BUT....it did make that fluttering noise when I hit the starter. Same noise my quad made when it's battery went dead too (and it's also a Yamaha). When I checked it, the noise was coming from behind the battery side panel, not from the fuel tank area. One thing I did hear also was the fuel pump priming...albeit really, really quiet, not like the normal whir I hear when I turn on the key. lurk
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm

smitty,

Hope it's all sorted. Can you tell us the name of that shop? I'm impressed with that service.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
smitty!!!

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 2:26 pm

Here you go. Power Motorsports in Sublimity OR

My bike came with some add-ons and I asked for the OEM parts as well. They where happy to give them to me.

I have been trying to sell my Honda 919 for a while to fund the purchase of this bike. They gave me a trade in price that was consistent to what they where going for on Ebay and a few hundred dollars less then what I was asking. So I did the trade. I was in and out in an hour.

Funny, I was just going up there to look at the new Husky TE610 ($9,000.00-$2,500.00 rebate=$6,500.00), but I didn't like all the wrenching.

http://www.poweryamaha.com

-smitty
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 3:31 pm

well done smitty,,,I wish my dealer was like that,, now you got me thinking I did the right thing ordering a new pump. I really wish yamaha would do the right thing and recall the bike in this country not just japan,,,,it kills me that I'm shelling out $220 plus my time to fix this when others are getting it covered under warranty.................glad you're back on the road ,,your'e gonna like this bike, although it would have hard for me to not buy the Husky at that price...............good luck,,,,Jason
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Glad you got it fixed! lurk
Back to top Go down
smitty!!!

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 4:02 pm

I'm sure hope that it's fixed. I hope there just isn't two problems. They are bringing it down in the A.M. as I'm at work right now.

Husky is nice but I just wanna ride. First valve check is 600 miles with oil change, then every time you change your oil you check your valves at 3,000 miles. It is easy to do but I just wanna ride. The 610 had valve chains going out at 3,000 to 21,000 miles and top end rebuilds around 25,000 miles. I thought that this WR250X was not going to be powerful enough for me but it suits me just fine. Besides I still have a ZX14 for tearing it up.

-smitty
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 5:06 pm

SheWolf wrote:
jason meacham wrote:
I read what 0007onwr wrote ... he is one of the few guys on this forum that I would trust 100%
Red has probably the most experience (if not THE most) on this board when it comes to tech stuff related to Yamahas. It's not because I've personally known him for many years, but I've seen the work he does, I've talked to others who work with him and have heard nothing but high recommendations. He doesn't just pull an answer out of his ass; he's been in the trenches for many years and if there's something not quite right, he'll be the first one to jump in and figure out where it went wrong and what it's gonna take to get it back going. If there's one thing about Red, he's anal about not leaving anything unturned. deal thumb

Awww, you just called me Anal!, sniff, that is very kind Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 6:09 pm

You're welcome. freaky Now go get your pump replaced. amazon

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 7:03 pm

BuilderBob wrote:
smitty!!! wrote:
The bike is a 2008.

Fuel pump.

I quote myself! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

bike died...Fuel Pump
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2