Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Speed at Rev Limiter

Go down 
+4
cryptomundo
Matty
12oclocker
motokid
8 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter Empty
PostSubject: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyFri May 07, 2010 5:32 am

What's your indicated/corrected speed in various gears when you hit rev limiter?

This morning on the way in to work I took 4th gear to the limiter.

My corrected (12 o'clock labs) speed showed I was right at 70mph.

I am running a 12t front.

Please post your gearing mods, and if you have a corrected speedometer, or even a gps reading.

I'd love to know what speeds others see in specific gears at the rev limiter.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyFri May 07, 2010 6:01 pm

exactly what I suspected, our bikes are rev limiting at 10,800rpm, instead of the advertised 11,500 I am reading all over the internet!! I also have the SpeedoDRD installed and my unit is calibrate to match my Garmin GPS.

My bike hits rev limiter at 77mph, with 12t 50t gearing, that also calculates out to exactly 10,800rpm rev limit.

I used my gear calc tool to figure this out...
http://www.12oclocklabs.com/gearcalc.htm

So I guess the WR250X bikes max rpm is 10,800, and NOT the 11,500 I read on the net.

Another interesting thing is 10,800 exaggerated 7.7% high is 11,600, pretty darm close to the claimed 11,500rpm.
As we know all the Speedo's are high on the WR250X's and R's by 7.7% on average.
And if we were to use the stock speedo and gearing formulas we would calculate the rev limit to be 11,500 / 11,600 rpm range.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyFri May 21, 2010 1:14 pm

2nd gear: rev limiter hits at 39-40 mph-ish

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptySat May 22, 2010 11:09 am

looks like we got a class action lawsuit on our hands. Free GYTR parts for everyone!!!
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyMon May 24, 2010 7:50 pm

motokid wrote:
2nd gear: rev limiter hits at 39-40 mph-ish
40mph calculates right at 10,800rpm, yamaha has some explaining to do limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter 911463
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 6:12 am

With gearing and non-stock tires accounted for on my 12 o'clock labs speedo correcter:

4th gear - 65mph at rev limiter

I ran up to limiter on flat ground pretty slowly. Hit limiter. Then backed off throttle just a touch and brought back to limiter a few times.

I really wanted to make sure the speed I was reading was not effected by acceleration momentum.

I feel confident that 65mph in 4th is as accurate as my bike/mods is gonna get today.

I am interested in trying this same experiment in colder, less humid weather.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:14 pm

I have been trying to figure out why my bike is bogging down when i hit high RPMs in 2nd .. and I started wondering about a rev limiter and if that is what Im hitting or is there something wrong with my bike? when Im accelerating fast I tend to wind out 2nd gear pretty good (more than others) but it seems like I should be able to go higher before it bogs down. It would be nice to know what RPM Im hitting. Is this happening to anyone else?

Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:32 am

if your not sure if you are hitting the rev limiter or not, then you are for surely not hitting the rev limiter. there's no mistaking it when you hit it. peak power is not at the highest RPM's so once you accelerate past the RPM producing peak HP there will be a slight loss in power once you are past it.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 7:21 am

mattf wrote:
if your not sure if you are hitting the rev limiter or not, then you are for surely not hitting the rev limiter. there's no mistaking it when you hit it. peak power is not at the highest RPM's so once you accelerate past the RPM producing peak HP there will be a slight loss in power once you are past it.

Yeah I think thats whats happening .. thanks!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:35 am

cryptomundo wrote:

I have been trying to figure out why my bike is bogging down when i hit high RPMs in 2nd .. and I started wondering about a rev limiter and if that is what Im hitting or is there something wrong with my bike? when Im accelerating fast I tend to wind out 2nd gear pretty good (more than others) but it seems like I should be able to go higher before it bogs down. It would be nice to know what RPM Im hitting. Is this happening to anyone else?

Pay attention to what speed you're going when you hit the "bog" you're describing.

Also post your gearing.

If you're "bogging" somewhere near 40-45mph in second gear it's probably rev limiter, if you're much closer to 30mph (or less eeek) then there's definitely something else going on.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:40 am

13/48 gears .. I would say its def above 30mph .. I have never looked .. I will pay attention next time
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:49 am

So you have same gearing I have.

I have Distanzias which also add to the formula, but in second gear I posted that I hit rev limiter at 39-40mph.

If you are close to that then you are probably fine.

Hitting the rev limiter under full throttle often feels like you've just thrown a big sail up into the wind.

Your body wants to continue forward but the bike just about feel like the brakes have been applied without you knowing it.

The engine noise will also change drastically....you'll almost think something dreadful has happened to your engine or electrical system if you've never heard it before.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:41 pm

I looked today (I cant believe I remembered) and it was 46mph .. but with my gearing 13/48 and D606's my mph is off maybe 5-10 mphs .. not sure .. so I will have to use my GPS, I guess, to see the real mph. Im wondering if the GPS will be accurate if your accelerating that fast?

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 am

I forgot to ask one big question.

Do you have some kind of speedometer corrector?

12 o'clock labs kind of thing?

If not, and you changed gearing to a 48 rear - your indicated speed is way off on your stock speedo.

If you have a corrector, or are reading off a gps - I'd say 46 mph in second gear HAS to be your rev limiter.

I think my correction ratio was about 22% with a 48t rear and slightly larger than stock Distanzias.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:58 am

No I dont have one yet (I have ordered one from 12 oclock). I have checked on the highway with my GPS, cruising at around 60 or 70mph for a time, and I think it was around 7-10mph off .. Im going to have to wait until I get the Speedometer corrector installed to verify my 2nd gear top speed.
Back to top Go down
Toddwr250r

Toddwr250r

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 6:54 pm

i'm funning a speedo healer v4, anyone else?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 2:53 pm

2008 wr250x
speedo corrector - 12 o'clocklabs unit
13/48 gearing
Attitude Industries EFI programmer
AIS removed
Airbox door removed
FmF Q4 exhaust slip-on
Stock header
Distanzias that are well worn

I weigh 155 pounds - 5'7" tall

5th gear top speed at rev limiter today

76 mph

I did this on three separate occasions today with different road conditions, and not really tucking in for minimum drag.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 8:15 am

I was curious, so I tried it out yesterday and here's what I got before the rev limiter kicked in:

3rd: 57 mph
4th: 73 mph
5th: 83 mph
6th: ?? - Never hit rev limiter, but I did see 91 mph. I might have gotten a little more if the road sloped downhill...

My mods are in my sig, but this is 13/45 gearing, and it was about 65 deg F outside, fairly close to sea level. I have a healtech speedo healer that was calibrated by the previous owner, so I never actually GPS verified it, but it is set at -13% and seems pretty close.

I am 6'2" tall, probably 150 lb with all my gear on and 3rd through 5th were in normal seated posture. I had to tuck down to get to 91 mph.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 am

dmmcd wrote:
I was curious, so I tried it out yesterday and here's what I got before the rev limiter kicked in:

3rd: 57 mph
4th: 73 mph
5th: 83 mph
6th: ?? - Never hit rev limiter, but I did see 91 mph. I might have gotten a little more if the road sloped downhill...

My mods are in my sig, but this is 13/45 gearing, and it was about 65 deg F outside, fairly close to sea level. I have a healtech speedo healer that was calibrated by the previous owner, so I never actually GPS verified it, but it is set at -13% and seems pretty close.

I am 6'2" tall, probably 150 lb with all my gear on and 3rd through 5th were in normal seated posture. I had to tuck down to get to 91 mph.

Ha - gearing commander says 5th gear top speed with 13/45 gearing would be 82.7 mph at 10,800 rpm

If bike would rev all the way to 11,500 rpm's your top speed in 5th gear would have been 88 mph.

In 6th gear you'd supposedly hit 93.6 mph at 10,800 rpm.

In 6th gear you'd supposedly hit 99.7 mph at 11,500 rpm. <--- which I don't believe is possible amazon

Another data point for the 10,500 rpm max theory. hide

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
ghayduke

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 5:35 pm

I realize this a really old thread but I was wondering if anybody has tried the Rev X-tend feature on the PCV to extend the rev limit on the WR250R (or WRX). In 1st and 2nd gear, it seems like the bike is still pulling really strong when it hits the rev limiter (with intake/exhaust mods). According to Dynojet, the Rex X-Tend feature will allow an additional 500 RPM. You need a code to unlock the feature but it seems like it could be pretty helpful and I doubt 500 RPM is going to cause any reliability issues.

I have a FMF Q4, MegaBomb and opened up airbox. When it was stock, I never hit the rev limiter. After the mods, it hits the limit unless I'm really careful to avoid revving it out all the way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speed at Rev Limiter   limiter - Speed at Rev Limiter Empty

Back to top Go down

Speed at Rev Limiter
Page 1 of 1