Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Dirt Newbie

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Elessar

Elessar

Dirt Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Dirt Newbie   Dirt Newbie EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 11:17 am

Hello to everyone from Central Kentucky. I am new to dirt. Actually, I'm so new that I don't even have a dirt bike yet. I am still in the research stage of my dirt riding and have identified the WRR/X as the most likely candidate for my new bike, next year, if my artificial reality holds together and my wife continues to agree/approve of my plan.

I have been riding street for more than 30 years. I wish I had started on dirt like so many people advise. I have been riding my Vstrom in my yard and can really appreciate the gravity of that mindset based on the amount that I have learned in a very short period of time. In addition, it is amazing how much better road rider I have become from what I have learned in the grass. However, much as I try, I cannot turn back the clock, so I am stuck with the circumstances in which I find myself. This is me as a bike rider.

Hey, it's not all bad. I am married to a wonderful woman that chooses me, again, each day, for which I am eternally grateful, if still surprised regularly. We are empty nesters and I have decided that I want to venture off-road, at this point in my riding career, so I am researching and learning every day. That's me as a husband.

At 55 years old, I am not young, and 6'2" weighing 225#s, I am not little. I feel like I am in good shape because I work out almost daily, except for the weekends, when we celebrate living through another week. Two grandchildren with another schedule to be delivered some time in February should complete this picture of me as a father.

I love to ride, and when I can't ride, I think about riding. I hope that someday, I will find myself as a proud owner of a big blue monster bike WRR. Time will tell...
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Dirt Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Newbie   Dirt Newbie EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Welcome. There are several other folks on this forum that are grandparents (I think a few might be great grandparents based on their age) and probably half of us are new to dirt.

You might consider buying a cheap used dirtbike instead of a WR if you already have a primary road machine. The only reason I say that is because the extra weight of the factory dual sport makes learning some skills much more difficult. I am personally saving up for a true offroad bike at the moment and the WR will remain my dual sporting, adv riding, and commuting vehicle.

If you only have space and funds for one bike to do it all, the WR is quite possibly the best option out there. The combination of weight, power, suspension, and maintenance frequency are 2nd to none in the 250 class. The lack of maintenance and the ability to hit the button and go are why a lot of us chose this bike over the 400+cc bikes out there.
Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

Dirt Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Similar situation   Dirt Newbie EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 7:49 am

I am in a very similar situation except I am 10 years older. Married the first girl I ever dated and we have been together 48 years and married 43 years. My attitude is its never too late. I did buy an WRR and I will be doing my first "off road" next week in North Carolina. I don't plan on getting too crazy but I have learned there is a lot of country I want to see that I can't see on my other bike. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Elessar

Elessar

Dirt Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Newbie   Dirt Newbie EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Dang, I like this place! Y'all are too cool! Thanks for the welcoming words. I have been at another dirt talkin' place online but there seems to be a bunch of kids yammering about what jump they're getting ready to clear'n such. This place feels nice.

I believe I will be looking for an inexpensive dirt bike before I jump into a WRR. I hope I can find a blue one so I don't have to suffer the off-color jokes, but the price will dictate my first bike. If'n all goes well, I'll be coming back around for a WRR when the right deal comes along.

I'm figuring on waiting for a while, maybe 12 months, counting on the "annual" bikes to be on sale, between Craig's List and the Dealers, when the snow is on the ground and Christmas is looming. I'm planning on riding my new Vstrom until then, so I won't have to suffer too much. Until I can find a good dirt bike, I'll have to be satisfied with hanging around here and absorbing your experiences vicariously. (Is that redundant? humm...)

Great place with some great people! Ride on! wings
Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

Dirt Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Life is short   Dirt Newbie EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Hey Elassar - at your age and particularly at mine you gotta go for the gusto. Buy em both. I have a R1200GSA set up for touring and the WRR to get in some real trouble with. Since we don't have a real "off" riding season down here in FLA I gave up on finding a good used one. Trouble is I need to come up to your neck of the woods to ride the type of stuff I enjoy. Sand is no fun at all for me. Too much work.
Back to top Go down
Elessar

Elessar

Dirt Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Newbie   Dirt Newbie EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:38 pm

BMWRider: I couldn't agree more and I would, but the finance department, at my house, had already approved a new acquisition for 2011 in the new 2011 Vstrom in March of this year. So, I'm planning to be good for a few months, unless the perfect deal reaches up and bites me.

Until then, I'll read about your adventures and ride my Wee.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dirt Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Newbie   Dirt Newbie Empty

Back to top Go down

Dirt Newbie
Page 1 of 1