Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Commuter...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBackRoads

Commuter... Empty
PostSubject: Commuter...   Commuter... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey all, I had a quick question about gearing. I just bought a 08 WRX with about 1,400 miles on it. I bought it as a commuter bike/ first bike. Most of my driving seems to be at higher speed. I've been thinking of going 1 or 2T smaller on the rear to drop the freeway RPM a bit. Thoughts? I used this link http://www.gearingcommander.com/ to play with some numbers.

OR.......

will running the stock gearing and just holding it 3/4 throttle open or more on the freeway fine? (seems kinda vibe-y) I know these bikes are built well but something about running 8-9K on the freeway just doesn't seem right!

My riding consists of 99% street and a few random weekends at the cabin on gravel roads.

Any insight would be appreciated. (And don't tell me to buy a new bike, I'm keepin this one for awhile Very happy )
Regards,
Jeff
AKA TBR.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Commuter... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Commuter...   Commuter... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 6:43 pm

Personally, I feel the stock gearing is already too tall for the bike, so I'd leave it stock instead of gearing it taller, still.
Back to top Go down
greer

Commuter... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Commuter...   Commuter... EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 6:50 am

I'm with YZ, if you want to be able to use what power the bike has, don't gear up. It's common to worry about the revs in the beginning, after you begin to learn the bike you'll just twist the throttle.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

Commuter... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Commuter...   Commuter... EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 6:59 am

TheBackRoads wrote:
I know these bikes are built well but something about running 8-9K on the freeway just doesn't seem right!

It's a 250 and made to rev! So flog the shit out of it and don't worry about it.
Back to top Go down
TheBackRoads

Commuter... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Commuter...   Commuter... EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 10:22 am

Thanks for the info everyone, i'll keep it how it is for now. Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Commuter... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Commuter...   Commuter... Empty

Back to top Go down

Commuter...
Page 1 of 1