Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bsheet2

bsheet2

Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut?? Empty
PostSubject: Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut??   Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut?? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 11:41 am

Any one know if you can get a prevailing torque nut for WRR counter sprocket??? This type nut would let you take it off without bending anything and would be reusable.

I am set up to swap between a 13t and 14t front spocket and a prevailing torque nut would be most helpful.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut??   Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut?? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Seems bizarre that so many seem to be worried about the counter-shaft nut all of a sudden.

I've not heard one report of a counter-shaft nut working it's way loose.

When I got my X the peen was not done. I've never peened it either and now with close to 9000 miles on her I've never experienced a loose nut.

In the years since 1985 when I got my first motorcycle I've never had a countershaft nut come loose.

I get the concept of security and peace of mind knowing that part of the system is secure, but I also think on some level the fear of it coming lose is over-blown.

Is this concern based on personal experience?

Is loctite not enough insurance for you?

Trying not to sound accusing or aggressive here. Just wondering why this question seems to pop up so often.

As I said earlier - I've not heard any reports of countershaft sprockets coming loose on X's or R's in all the time I've been on these kinds of forums.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut??   Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut?? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Well I don't have any experience in this area. Just figgured they put feature on there for a reason.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut??   Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut?? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Fair enough.

They also put some other things on the bike for a reason as well.

AIS, flapper, EXUP, and airbox door to name a few. Many of us have altered or removed those things completely.

Find the thread and pitch of the countershaft nut, and then start searching for alternatives to the stock piece.

Please post what you find. I'd be interested in an aftermarket alternative if you find one.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut??   Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut?? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:02 pm

motokid wrote:

I've not heard one report of a counter-shaft nut working it's way loose.

Velvetcows did and it stripped the countershaft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut??   Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Counter Sprocket Prevailing Torque Nut??
Page 1 of 1