Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New member: Ottawa - Canada

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

New member: Ottawa - Canada Empty
PostSubject: New member: Ottawa - Canada   New member: Ottawa - Canada EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi folks,

I began lurking a couple of months ago when I decided I was in the market for a WR. I've had a DR650 for the last 3 years and have no plans to sell it.

In September I started shopping on both sides of the Canada-US border. After getting the lowest price quotes I could for new models from dealers in eastern Ontario and NY state, it was a local dealer in Ottawa who gave me a quote that made the most sense... The cheapest price was in the US, but only about $400 cheaper the Ottawa dealer -- so not really worth my while to cross the border to buy it.

But just before I laid down my cash, a friend spotted an ad for a very gently used '09 WR250X on the outskirts of New York City -- all blinged-out with tasteful upgrades, and with 2 full wheel sets: sumo wheels & dirt wheels. Considering it only had 1,800 miles, and with all the upgrades, it was a no-brainer. I PayPal'd the cash to the seller after numerous emails and phone calls, then I drove 8 hours south from Ottawa to pick it up.

For those Canadians who may be curious, the export-import process was remarkably simple and not expensive at all. By the time I had the bike home and registered for the road (it took 4 days to complete after crossing the border) the final bill including purchase price, taxes, import fees, licensing, etc, was $6,600 CDN dollars. That's on-the-road. The best price I had for a new 2011 WRR was $7500... and that was for a totally stock bike -- for which I'd spend at least $2-3K in upgrades.

Anyway, I'm loving this new bike. It may not have the same power and torque of the big DR, but she makes up for it with her light weight and nimble handling. I've put a lot of sweat and cash into building the DR into a very capable machine, but I will use it for longer trips that will involve easier terrain. The WR will be used for more challenging offroad riding, and also for tack days with the supermoto tires.

A couple of photos:

New member: Ottawa - Canada 2011-10-31155529

New member: Ottawa - Canada IMG_0071

And the trusty DR650:
New member: Ottawa - Canada 2011-10-07175033

Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: New member: Ottawa - Canada   New member: Ottawa - Canada EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Welcome !

We'll have to set up an eastern Ontario / Quebec ride next spring. thumb
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: New member: Ottawa - Canada   New member: Ottawa - Canada EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:02 am

Hi there and welcome. That is a nice WR for sure. Congrats thumb
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: New member: Ottawa - Canada   New member: Ottawa - Canada EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 4:24 pm

Welcome Motorjunkie,

I just did the same thing and bought a 2011 in New Hampshire. I see you have the Wolfman set-up on the DR. Are you going to go the same way with the 250 ?
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: New member: Ottawa - Canada   New member: Ottawa - Canada EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 5:33 pm

Welcome ! The black-on-black-on-black looks good thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New member: Ottawa - Canada   New member: Ottawa - Canada EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 5:50 pm

Riverman, is that you? Thumpididump.

Yes, I'm planning to get a set of Wolfman racks for the WR. They're great for luggage, but they're also great for the protection they provide, and you can use them to lift the bike when you dump it poser2

saddletramp wrote:
Welcome Motorjunkie,

I just did the same thing and bought a 2011 in New Hampshire. I see you have the Wolfman set-up on the DR. Are you going to go the same way with the 250 ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New member: Ottawa - Canada   New member: Ottawa - Canada EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 5:57 pm

Indeed.

Chrispy1200 wrote:
Welcome !

Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: New member: Ottawa - Canada   New member: Ottawa - Canada EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Small world. Yes that is me. Riverman on a site or two or Saddletramp on others - depends on what the site will accept when I sign in. Snow melted here so I got a chance to get out for a spin on the new bike. Me likes.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: New member: Ottawa - Canada   New member: Ottawa - Canada EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 10:19 am

MotoJunkie wrote:
Indeed.

Chrispy1200 wrote:
Welcome !

Indeed too, and welcome!

I've also got a black 09 X in Ottawa. I bought it new early 2010: Cdn $6,000 + setup (can't remember, maybe $395) + taxes. But yours came with a lot of good stuff, nice deal! thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member: Ottawa - Canada   New member: Ottawa - Canada Empty

Back to top Go down

New member: Ottawa - Canada
Page 1 of 1