Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Deal or No Deal?

Go down 
+3
motokid
X-Racer
TKO
7 posters

Deal or No Deal
Pull the trigger at $4,500
Deal or No Deal? Empty100%Deal or No Deal? Empty
 100% [ 28 ]
Keep looking
Deal or No Deal? Empty0%Deal or No Deal? Empty
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 28

AuthorMessage
TKO

TKO

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Saw a local ad for a 2011 WR250R with 1911 miles for $5000 OBO. The owner claimed show room condition.

Anyway, I went to look at the bike and it is the cleanest used bike that I have ever seen . . . bar none. Not a scratch on it anywhere. Turns out it has never seen dirt. Just a couple of gravel roads here and there and the rest was highway commutes.

I got him down to $4,500 because of the time of the year, be a year older in one month, yada, yada, yada.

Bone stock, 600 mile oil change. Perfect.

Keep looking or pull the trigger?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Jump on it... Don't look back.

Keep on riding riding riding..... (paraphrasing some lil diddy from the Lil' Mermaid')
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 10:03 pm

X-Racer wrote:

Keep on riding riding riding..... (paraphrasing some lil diddy from the Lil' Mermaid')

Finding Nemo isn't it?

As for the question.....do you want a 250R? Have you been looking for a while? Or are you settling for something just because it's available?

If you want an R it sounds like you've found the perfect deal. Get it.

If you are really on the fence and think maybe some other bike besides an R is what you want........you might as well keep on looking.

$4500 for a 2011 in pristine shape is a bargain. The rest is up to you to decide.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Oh ! Yea... Nemo ! ...and you're right on the other questions Moto.

I assumed TKO was sold on an "R" and I failed to ask about previous riding experience and bikes owned.

So TKO... WHAT IS your previous bikes and what DO you plan to do with the "R" ?

As Moto pointed out ( indirectly), The right price for the wrong bike is the wrong decision.

Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 12:54 am

motokid wrote:
X-Racer wrote:

Finding Nemo isn't it?

As for the question.....do you want a 250R? Have you been looking for a while? Or are you settling for something just because it's available?

If you want an R it sounds like you've found the perfect deal. Get it.

If you are really on the fence and think maybe some other bike besides an R is what you want........you might as well keep on looking.

$4500 for a 2011 in pristine shape is a bargain. The rest is up to you to decide.

Yeah, an R it is. I just wasn't sure if the $$$ sounded as good to those in the know as my WR250R neophyte self. :hmmm:

X-Racer wrote:
Oh ! Yea... Nemo ! ...and you're right on the other questions Moto.

I assumed TKO was sold on an "R" and I failed to ask about previous riding experience and bikes owned.

So TKO... WHAT IS your previous bikes and what DO you plan to do with the "R" ?

As Moto pointed out ( indirectly), The right price for the wrong bike is the wrong decision.

Current bike is a pretty heavily modded 2007 FZ1. Previous bikes were a 1982 750 Seca and a 1979 650 Yamaha Special. I have never owned a "dirt" bike of any flavor, but I have ridden several 400+ cc four stroke MX type bikes and a few of the old 250 smoke belchers. Not looking to throw roosts anymore . . . just to ride trails and back roads.

The plan for the R is light trail riding, some dirt roads and asphalt that takes me there. Thinking about a 50/50 mix.

My only concern about the R is a potential lack of cajones to haul my 225 pounds around on the street, but I will settle that nettle with the upcoming test ride.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 3:15 am

I see.... Well that adds perspective....

To start, The WR is obviously 1/4 of the FZ displacement with 3X the versatility.

Nothing to worry about with regard to the payload. It's simply a matter of the planned application of power at the right time and in the right place.

You'll need to bump-up the preload on the spring for starters. Do it incrementally until you find the sweet spot.

Those of us that have started on smaller bikes in our youth and worked our way up 9to big bores), and then back have some respect for learning how to ride a bike with less power. You learn to ride the bike ( balance and throttle application/maintenance) as opposed to having an abundance of power where the bike essentially rides you.

Your challenge, not having "grown up" on dirt bikes, is however somewhat different.

...but to be sure, without question, your choice is spot on for a transition bike selection.

Where are you ? ...and what areas can you get to in acclimating to dirt ?

Your tire choice may be different than what is on the bike.

Either way, start slowly and learn the fundamentals gaining confidence as you go before you get in too deep.

It can get ugly fast out there... ( says the guy who took a WR off-road rookie out and trashed him in the first 20 miles).

There's good experience, knowledge and advice here on the forum. Ask questions...

Ciao....

Edit: As Moto may expand on, don't discount the fact that the bike easily converts to a FZr facimile with the switch of the wheels. It's a true DUAL-sport in more than one sense of the term.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 3:32 am

Grab that bike before it's gone. What are you going to do, shop around for another 4 months to try and save $100?

"Keep on riding, riding" - The Doors (Riders on the Storm) - I thought.
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will take the bike for a test ride and make a decision based on how she runs with me aboard. Not expecting the bike to grunt like my son's modded DR650SE, but the motor can't bore me to death either. Very happy
Back to top Go down
sewerat

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 am

I'm the same weight as you and mine sure doesn't bore me. My past bike was a 100hp Harley, also a current Ural and the wife's versys. So for me I too thought and was worried about the small displacement. But I have a blast on it and it's only limitation I have found so far is it's ability to get over 130kms/hr. Now keep in mind that our max posted speeds on the highway is 100kms and back roads is 80. But I still want it to go faster so my winter project is to shed about 25 lbs from the rider. Figure that the cheapest way to make the bike go fast. deal

Btw I just got mine up here in Canada 2009 WRR with 6400kms a few mods done for $5500. So jump on that price
Back to top Go down
deerHater

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 11:17 am

sewerat wrote:
But I still want it to go faster so my winter project is to shed about 25 lbs from the rider. Figure that the cheapest way to make the bike go fast. deal
Me too, but in a bigger (smaller?) way. It will make the bike quicker, but not much faster (although I suppose frontal area will go down a bit Very happy )

I'm already down 17 lbs since Nov 1, looking for another 30 by May 1.

I'm planning to get the full Mr Go Race suspension makeover at the end of January. I was planning to get a heavier rear spring, but maybe I won't need it! (hoping to get down to just under 160.)
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Damn - y'all a bunch of fat bastards. Tuck it up boys.
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 6:26 pm

gatorfan wrote:
Damn - y'all a bunch of fat bastards. Tuck it up boys.

Hey! I resemble that remark. wink
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 8:39 pm

I would jump on it for that price and laugh all the way to the bank. It is a great deal, especially in the condition that you report.
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 10:22 pm

Well I pulled the trigger and took her home today. Now I really feel like a member of the board. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Deal or No Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deal or No Deal?   Deal or No Deal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Deal or No Deal?
Page 1 of 1