Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Please Leave Words of Encouragement...

Go down 
+13
X-Racer
IAmABug
alansz400
Chrispy1200
SheWolf
MeefZah
ballisticexchris
gatorfan
Arkmage
motokid
bigg
oic0
NotGoingWell
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NotGoingWell

Please Leave Words of Encouragement... Empty
PostSubject: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Hello,

Alright, this is my first post on this forum. I've been looking through the forum a lot over the past year as I researched the ins and outs of the WR250x. I finally went and bought one yesterday. The good news: 2008 model; 2,280 miles, pristine condition. The bad news? She's already out of commission and I didn't even have her on the street yet.

So, you're thinking to yourself, what the hell did this dumbass newb do? Well, do I have a story for you. I did the usual "getting to know" activities that I always do when I get a new toy. Take a few covers off, play with the electronics, inspect everything, etc. I decided to take my seat off. I looked around and decided to put my seat back on. Here's where I f*%^ed up... Apparently I didn't snug the seat bolts enough baldy . I actually thought I had overdone them and was on the verge of stripping them, but as you will see, that wasn't the case.

I proceeded to take her out for a ride up and down my lane a few times. On one trip up the lane as I came around a corner the bike made a loud noise and kicked kinda sideways. I didn't see a rock, but I assumed I had hit and thrown a rock into some metal piece. I rode a tad bit more before pulling into my garage. Then I realized something was up. The front sprocket cover was covered with oil, as was everything in and around it.

Upon further inspection... The seat bolt had worked its way loose. The seat bolt fell down and somehow managed to ride my chain like a magic carpet. The magic carpet ride ended just in front of the front sprocket. The seat bolt was driven into my motor cover/block. Needless to say, I found the source of the oil. There is a hole in the "cover" as well as a hefty crack in what I will call the "block."

Anyway, I would just like some words of encouragement. Maybe a "hang in there" or "it shouldn't cost more than an arm and a leg to fix." Pray I'm really struggling with my lack of luck. I mean, for that damn bolt to not only fall out, but to somehow manage to get to the chain, then manage to do the damage it did. Wow...

Seriously though, if you have some experience in this area... What kind of costs am I looking at here? I know another bolt for the seat will set me back at least a $1 or $2. So, how much more will I be adding to that? Is the "block" repairable?

Please Leave Words of Encouragement... Dsc03411
https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/17/23/06/94/dsc03411.jpg

Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 5:09 pm

I cant see very well there, is it just the cover or are the crank cases fubared? If its not too bad you can maybe JB weld it. Perhaps just buy that side cover. If the actual cases are cracked bad though, beyond just that lip, you are going to be out 600+ in parts alone. At that point I would be looking for a motor that .

The side cover thing is about $80 and not too hard to replace. The crank cases are about 500 and require complete engine and transmission dissection to replace. Honest to god, if it were me, broke as I am, I would be thinking...

Does your insurance policy cover road debris? IMO road debris just damaged your bike technically right?

*edit* yes I edited that a bazillion times. Im done now though Very happy
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Well I haven't got any advice for you (thank god nothing like that ever happened to me)

but I was considering buying me a case saver and front sprocket protector from here https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1496-sandman-parts-wr250r-x-parts-for-sale

I hadn't made up my mind fully but I certainly have now. A solid stainless steel case saver surely would've saved you a lot of trouble now. So my decision now is made.

I'm really sorry about your bad luck man. As oic0 said, if its only the side cover it shouldn't be too hard or very expensive to replace.

Once you fix it I'm sure you'll love the little WR thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Yes, hard to tell from the photo. The stator cover looks pooched for sure but they're easy enough to find used.... the engine case, well that's another story. I've seen some pretty amazing J-B Weld repairs to engine casings, but it's gotta be super clean. ... and even better if you remove it and do it on a workbench.

That's some shitty bad luck. You must have been a real mofo in a previous life to deserve that hand. Good luck.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 7:02 pm

MotoJunkie wrote:

That's some shitty bad luck. You must have been a real mofo in a previous life to deserve that hand.

poser2 poser2 poser2 cheers

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:20 pm

I'd replace the cover and JB weld the crack. Maybe out $75 depending on ebay availability of the cover.
Back to top Go down
NotGoingWell

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone... It's hard to explain my emotions, but I'm pretty sure part of me died.

oicO: The cover has the majority of the damage. Like, the black hole is in the case while immediately to the right of the hole is the crankcase. I would say there is an inch and a half or so of the crankcase that actually has a crack in it. The crack is basically parallel to the hole. And insurance? I actually don't even have insurance on the bike yet. I just got the bike yesterday (Saturday) morning and my insurance company hasn't been open since. So, yeah, good thought though...

bigg: I was literally looking at the freedom case savers an hour before this whole ordeal happened. I would love to rewind time, install a case saver, and repeat the process. I wonder if it would just have jammed the chain and locked up the rear tire or if it would have somehow spit the bolt out. I thought the case saver was a bit hardcore for me, but until I figure out how to tighten a seat bolt, I guess not. Please buy a case saver and engrave the initials AG on it for me... Here is a picture of the OEM wanna-be case saver:

Please Leave Words of Encouragement... Dsc03412
https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/17/23/06/94/dsc03412.jpg

It's shredded pretty good, more so than the picture shows. I really wish those seat bolts were made of the softest aluminum known to man. O-well... And yeah, I think I'll love her once I get her back on her feet.

MotoJunkie: I have often wondered about my existence in a previous realm. A "real mofo" seems accurate currently. I just won $4 on the lottery yesterday, on a $2 ticket!!! Then this ordeal happens, what a change in the tides!

Arkmage: I sincerely appreciate your short and to the point reply. I am really hoping this is the route I can take. $75 dollars sounds like quite a steal in this situation. I hope that's all I need...

Thanks again! GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:12 pm

That's brutal.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Are metal case savers really better? I know plastic ones seem gimpy but the deforming and squishing does absorb some of the force and a metal case saver cant be any stronger than the the little standoff mounts its screwed in to or itl just break them off and damage the case. Course Ive never had the misfortune to test either design. Knock on wood.
Back to top Go down
ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:54 pm

If you are handy with a small propane/butane torch, you can use a low temp solder such as Aumite to build up/repair case crack. Make sure to use some welders clay around the surrouning area as well as wet rags. Concentrate the flame at the area to be repaired. Watch the flame for the color change (as aluminum has no color change).

When you finish, file it up to match case cover. This is a very permanent and cheap fix.

Sorry about your bad luck GAHHHH
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:15 am

Waaahhhhhh! Don't worry, you can fix it!

Many years ago I got a brand new XR250. The first week I had it, a small rock got caught on the chain and tore a hole in the countershaft seal. A bunch of oil came out, just like yours.

Turns out the seal could only be replaced from inside! I bought a shop manual, took the motor out, tore the transmission out, replaced the seal, and put it back together. I learned a lot about the bike and how to rebuild them.

In my case the parts weren't too expensive, but where there's a will there's a way!

good luck with the repairs baldy
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:20 am

Sucks bro. Good luck.

FYI, most insurance companies will provide coverage for a vehicle you just purchased if you have not been able to call them to arrange coverage yet.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 am

I believe a new cover will be roughly $100 based on this:

click me

I think part number you want is: 3D7-15411-00-00

I can never remember if this WR25XXL/WR25XXLC is our model or not.

The above info is based on that model number.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:21 am

I think that case saver that was in there would have had less shredding had the sprocket cover not been on. That plastic cover holds a lot of crap. I'm speculating that the bolt was trapped in there because it had nowhere to go (my bike collected so much shit in behind that cover it was horrendous). I made my own cover where things can freely fall out, yet protects the bike from stuff and me from getting a pantleg stuck in there. Very happy Still running the same stock case saver, and it's been thru a lot of crap. Holding strong.
As for the holes/cracks...JB Weld definitely works if everything is prepped right. No doubt I'd be replacing that case cover, and the block try the JB Weld. Only way to find out is to try it, might save you a few bucks. thumb

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 am

I'm not sure any kind of case saver would have helped here. When that bolt got down around the chain and sprocket, something had to give. Either the sprocket would have had to move or deform (very unlikely), the bolt would have had to move or deform (more likely), or the engine case / saver would have had to move or deform (read: break). The potential for the driveline totally locking up is there but I don't think that's possible without a strong steel case saver. Unless the case saver can distort enough to let the bolt pass through, the cases are going to lose this battle. As Shewolf said, the best you can hope for is to have the bolt get spit out with an open cover before the damage really happens.
Back to top Go down
alansz400

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Well after seeing the hole in your case I thought it was a good time to make a case saver for my bike. Spent a few hours in the garage tonight making mine. Hope I never need it.

Please Leave Words of Encouragement... 0130121745
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 9:15 pm

Here is my "stock" version. I took the case saver and cut out the center, drilled some holes and reinstalled. Should allow enough space for stuff to evacuate the premises. I like the idea of it being the weakest link, to strong is not nessasarily good. As others have mentioned, something has to give. 

Please Leave Words of Encouragement... Th_2351b1f3
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 pm

That's nothing... ...nothing a bottle of booze and a razor blade won't fix.

You really only need to worry when you can't find all the pieces that blew out of it.
Back to top Go down
NotGoingWell

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Howdy err-body...

A bit of an update here. Took the bike to a local machine shop who referred me to a local welder who does all his work for him. Took the bike to them and got the crack in the case welded up. Looks good and only set me back $30. In the meantime, I had ordered a new crankcase cover and gasket off of motosport.com, totaling around $86 I believe. Took a little while to get the part, but completely understandable. Anyway, I'll be taking her into my local Yamaha shop this coming week to put the finishing touches on her. Yeah, I could do it by myself probably. No, I'm not going to no matter what BS you post. Anyway, some photos to make this post worth your time...

THE seat bolt.
Please Leave Words of Encouragement... Dsc03417
https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/17/23/06/94/dsc03417.jpg

Crankcase cover damage.
Please Leave Words of Encouragement... Dsc03416
https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/17/23/06/94/dsc03416.jpg

A shot of the weld. Just above the chain you can see a little more of the minor damage that the bolt caused.
Please Leave Words of Encouragement... Dsc03414
https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/17/23/06/94/dsc03414.jpg

A different angle of the weld.
Please Leave Words of Encouragement... Dsc03415
https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/17/23/06/94/dsc03415.jpg

And the view from a little further away.
Please Leave Words of Encouragement... Dsc03418
https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/17/23/06/94/dsc03418.jpg

That is all for now... Enjoy your weekends!
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 pm

That's a good lookin weld. I think you got it licked.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:42 am

mucker wrote:
That's a good lookin weld. I think you got it licked.

Looks good ! Maybe take a bit of JB Weld to fill in the small nicks on the sealing surface.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Thee "A "real mofo" seems accurate currently" Post Had me rolling! At least you had a sence of humor about it. Were you able to fish out the peice of aluminum that broke off inside?
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Swagger wrote:
Thee "A "real mofo" seems accurate currently" Post Had me rolling! At least you had a sence of humor about it. Were you able to fish out the peice of aluminum that broke off inside?

Good point. You wouldn't want that chunk floating around in there!
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:28 am

Glad to see you got it figured out,,I would have been shitting my pants if that happened to me....do you think if you had a casesaver on your bike it would have made a difference?? I don't blame you for taking it to a dealership to get it fixed right....I don't use a dealership but I have a local shop do alot of my work....for me,, it's piece of mind to know it's going to be done right........good luck....Jason usa usa usa usa usa
Back to top Go down
NotGoingWell

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Mucker: I agree. I don't think I need to be concerned about any weaknesses where the damage was. I was quite happy with the weld...

Chrispy1200: Yeah, that may be an idea. Looking back at the photos, I think the camera made the nicks look worse... but I am desperate for a good seal!

Swagger: I'm glad you noticed the humor I infused in a few of my comments. The piece of aluminum that broke off was indeed recovered. I thought about getting one of those vacuum sealed cases to put it in so my grandchildren can view it someday. Maybe a combo case so I can put that bolt in there too?

Jason Meacham: I was on the verge of shitting my pants, but I tried to take it in stride. I didn't think about much else for 2 or 3 days, but luckily it looks as though things should be good "as new" before too long. As far as a case saver, it's hard to say. I know the sandman case saver looks pretty legit, but if I would have had a case saver what would then have become the weakest link? The chain maybe? Idk... I will be purchasing the sandman freedom case saver soon though... And thanks, hopefully she'll be between my legs soon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please Leave Words of Encouragement...   Please Leave Words of Encouragement... Empty

Back to top Go down

Please Leave Words of Encouragement...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next