Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR SHOCK issue discovery

Go down 
+2
aaronhall555
Mr, Go Race
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr, Go Race

Mr, Go Race

WR SHOCK issue discovery Empty
PostSubject: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Heads up report
I have a discovery that may impact any shock out there.
The shock bladder in the piggy back shock on the WRs possibly has a issue.
I have been servicing hundreds of these over the last few years and have found a small percent of them have a defective shock bladder. That is the component inside that separates the nitrogen from the oil in the reservoir. The problem is the bladder itself has a flaw in the diaphragm portion. There appears to be almost a thin spot in some of these. And sometimes the spot can create a pinhole..what I think would happen is this area can fatigue overtime.
This would cause the nitrogen and oil to mix together which in turn would cause the shock to have inconsistent damping.
The sign that you guys can look for is a noise. In a quiet environment push up and down on the back of your bike. If you hear a swishing aeration type noise chances are you may have a problem.
It is a cheap fix. The bladder cost $15.00 The service to put it in and replace it Which is a full shock service is $79.00 plus chemicals.

Note: You guys with stock shocks Are going to hear that same noise anyway. That is due to the Assembly process and the Lack of bleeding out the air when the shock was produced by the company. 95% of all stock shocks have a lot of air mixed in the oil. So it will be hard for you to determine if your bladder is broken.
This is mainly for the guys out there who have already had a shock re worked.
A good shock should have very little noise.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me @540-392-0696
Thank you.
Travis Jones
Back to top Go down
Mr, Go Race

Mr, Go Race

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 2:11 pm

Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 2:24 pm

Good info! Wish I wasn't on such a tight budget, I would get my shocks re-worked in a heartbeat! GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 7:32 pm

If mine goes out I'm liable to custom fab an ohlin remote reservoir shock in this sucker.

No since in fixing it with the same flawed parts and expecting it to not fail again in the future.
Back to top Go down
Mr, Go Race

Mr, Go Race

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Arkmage wrote:
If mine goes out I'm liable to custom fab an ohlin remote reservoir shock in this sucker.

No since in fixing it with the same flawed parts and expecting it to not fail again in the future.

Well I gotta say your logic is wrong.
I use a genuine KYB component that is inspected before installation.
this component will not fail, this is not a normal failure.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Mr, Go Race wrote:
Arkmage wrote:

My logic is perfectly fine... if you aren't using the OEM part it's just not a valid statement... doesn't make it any more/less wrong.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks for the insight.
My buddy's shock is in the shop right now...I forwarded your concerns.
I am am due to upgrade my suspension too, but may have missed my window for this season.
Shops aren't big around here...a trail rider ain't got much hope of quick service, any where near racing season.
Anywho, your insight is well received...cheers.
Back to top Go down
Mr, Go Race

Mr, Go Race

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 am

Peace YAM
Arkmage wrote:
Mr, Go Race wrote:
Arkmage wrote:

My logic is perfectly fine... if you aren't using the OEM part it's just not a valid statement... doesn't make it any more/less wrong.

Kyb BLADDER is not the oem part on the SOKI shock. Its a better made componet.
"Didn't mean any negative tone with statement ..."sorry
Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 am

Mr, Go Race wrote:
Arkmage wrote:

Travis,

Just to be perfectly clear, your 'Go Race' modded/rebuilt shocks do NOT contain the possibly defective part?

I'm looking forward to trying out my new Go Race suspension properly, on my X:
1- on winter damaged paved roads soon (my driveway ice is nearly manageable now!)
2- proper off road with proper offroad wheels & tires in May.
Back to top Go down
Mr, Go Race

Mr, Go Race

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 1:03 pm

deerHater wrote:
Mr, Go Race wrote:
Arkmage wrote:

Travis,

Just to be perfectly clear, your 'Go Race' modded/rebuilt shocks do NOT contain the possibly defective part?

I'm looking forward to trying out my new Go Race suspension properly, on my X:
1- on winter damaged paved roads soon (my driveway ice is nearly manageable now!)
2- proper off road with proper offroad wheels & tires in May.

I've been doing the inspection since about spring 2011.. so your shock should be in the clear.
Since my last post I just remove a broken bladder! The test I do is I pull it out and blow it up like a balloon, then I submerge in liquid. Today's bladder had a microscopic pin hole in it.
The inside of the bladder look perfectly fine. So with that information it's not always visible To the naked eye. The pressure test is the only way to go Anyway.

Note: to all, this is not a catastrophic failure. Your symptoms would just simply be a mushy fade feel. Along with a noise I mentioned.

I am here to help. If you have any concerns or questions please feel free to contact me.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm

I just got my bike back after getting it revalved and rebuilt by Go-race,,,,I can't wait to try it out on Sunday,,,,,on the 5 mile ride home I could feel the difference when stopping,,,the front end didn't dive like it used to,,,,,,once I do some off road riding ,,I'll post up how it feels,,,,,,,Thank you very much Travis,,,,Jason
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR SHOCK issue discovery   WR SHOCK issue discovery Empty

Back to top Go down

WR SHOCK issue discovery
Page 1 of 1