Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
yourname75

Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires Empty
PostSubject: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 12:31 am

Hey guys just got this bike a couple of weeks ago and now I discovered a couple problems. Bike has 3600 miles on it. AIS and Air flapper mods. Powercore 4 exhaust

1. I only get around 35mpg (edit 50mpg lol). Fuel light comes on after only 75 miles
2. Exhaust Powercore 4 attached to stock header looks like it melted some wires. It has the adapter for the stock header in it but nothing holding it in.

Could these problems be related? Also what exactly is that green plug for?

Thanks in advance for all the help! Attached are some pics of the damage. You can see that the wires look exposed in some areas.

Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires Imag0010
Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires Imag0011

Last edited by yourname75 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:05 am

That's the temp sensor for EFI. It doesn't tell the fan to turn on, it tells the computer if your engine is cold or warm. Could be the source of the problem. If the computer thinks the engine is cold it adds more fuel.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:34 am

Check your math.

1.5 gallons of gas until fuel light comes on with a stock tank.

If you get 75 miles until light comes on that's 50 mpg.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs

Last edited by motokid on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:48 am

Here's mine after almost 10,000 miles

Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires Apr1410

Something is surely not right if you're getting that much heat in that location.

I'd check the radiator coolant to see if it's proportioned correctly for your climate.
I'd check to see if the cooling fan is working.

Do you have a fuel programmer? You did not list one, but usually if there's a pipe and airbox mods people recommend a fuel programmer.

I doubt being slightly lean would cause that kind of heat.

Are you sure that "melting" is not something that happened thanks to the previous owner? Can you contact the previous owner and ask what might have happened?

I don't think the exhaust/header has much to do with it unless they did not use the coupling spacer provided and there's a shit-load of exhaust gas escaping out at that location. You'd be able to feel it and hear it I'd think if that was the issue.

I have a stock header and an FmF Q4 pipe. I did not use any sealant at the connection between pipe and header, just the coupling spacer FmF provided.
You can see the condition of my wires.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
yourname75

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 6:35 pm

I checked radiator is full and oil is near full as well.
I'm in Hawaii so the weather should be a non issue.
I don't have a fuel programmer, but the guy I bought it from said it as a ok because he changed the CO settings? It is currently set to 4.

The adapter for the pipe is in there already and I don't feel any exhaust leaks.

Also the fan comes on after sitting in traffic for a 10 min, so I think its working as it should.

scratch I can't think of anything else to check

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 5:15 pm

I'd get some new shrink tube and cover those wires.

Then I'd ride bike to see if it's something that's currently happening.

Do you know for a fact it's not something that happened long before you bought bike?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 5:32 pm

motokid wrote:

Agree. However, I would check the wires for a short first. If they're touching, you'll have to separate them individually and re-insulate them.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 6:27 pm

BuilderBob wrote:
motokid wrote:

Agree. However, I would check the wires for a short first. If they're touching, you'll have to separate them individually and re-insulate them.

thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
NeilW

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Did you guys get anywhere here?

That's the mileage I get, but it seems pretty close to normal. It gets a little better if I slack off to 65-70 mph.

75 miles to the fuel light is about average.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:05 pm

After reading all the post I think that exhaust got too darn hot. Reading through this forum for a year and I dont think I would run an after market exhaust without a programmer, especially with intake opened as well. Is your leg getting warm?
Back to top Go down
NeilW

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Nope. I am completely stock, and wasn't involved in this 10 month old thread before now.

The OP described 50 MPG as "terrible", and it was close to what I got.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires   Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires Empty

Back to top Go down

Terrible Gas Mileage+ exhaust melted wires
Page 1 of 1