Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fuel pump

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Fuel pump   Fuel pump EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 pm

So I'm sitting in a meeting at work today, bored out my trees, and I start thinking about a few of the guys here who may have fuel pump problems. So to keep myself from going insane, I start thinking about what I would do if my fuel pump gave it up tomorrow scratch Very happy . I understand these pumps are kinda pricey (not sure, never priced one) so I start thinking that an external inline pump may be the way to go. The benefits would mainly it being cheaper but there would also be a small increase in fuel capacity AND you could use all the fuel in the tank if you gutted the fuel pump to a simple spigot.

Just throwing it out there..........before I go nuts from my pencil pushing co-workers. droooool
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

Fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump   Fuel pump EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 8:54 pm

I like the idea. But you would need to do some serious work on the stock tank or build a whole new tank from scratch. Plugging the big hole in the bottom of the stock tank and removing the pump will not gain you enough added fuel capacity to make it worth the effort. The only problem you would be solving is hopefully, a more reliable fuel pump AND easier access to the fuel filter for servicing. That alone would be a big plus for me. I never liked the fact that this bike has no servicable fuel filter. In fact the filter in the tank now is part of the fuel pump assembly, and not even available as a seperate part.

Where would you mount an external fuel pump/filter combo on this bike? Also think about this. The low fuel warning sensor is built into the fuel pump assembly also. If you remove the stock pump assembly, you will lose the low fuel warning light.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump   Fuel pump EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 8:57 pm

In my opinion (a decade of service and warranty) modification increases your potential for failure, in very few cases does it prevent problem's
There is a very small percentage of failure of the fuel pump, certainly no worse than the failure rate of an aftermarket pump
Not to mention all the PITA of locating a good spot for an external pump, fabrication of the plug, spigot, fuel pressure regulator and return hose etc etc
Frankly, I think you are causing more hassle than you would ever fix
Just ride it, you got worse thing's to worry about in life
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump   Fuel pump EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 12:43 pm

This was just one of those things that will get filed in the back of my brain in case I run across a cheap and small high pressure fuel pump. If the stocker fails and I have a fuel pump on hand, I might attempt the mod for the reasons stated above.

Most likely,though, since I'm just lazy, I'd end up just buying a new one............. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Noppy

Fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump   Fuel pump EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Why don't you mount the safari tank and see if you have more room there?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump   Fuel pump Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel pump
Page 1 of 1