Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

hard to start after a week

Go down 
+2
motokid
Krispy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Krispy

Krispy

hard to start after a week Empty
PostSubject: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Haven't touched my 08 since last Thursday, go to ride to work this morning and it took 5 mins to start it.

battery fine, turning over fine, fuel pump noise on ignition, fuel not low only 36km since full.

what could it be, its not excessively cold (brisbane australia)

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Krispy wrote:

battery fine

And you know this how?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm

E10 gas would be my guess. If the stations tank was low or a distributor double dosed a load you could have filled up with kack. Let it sit in your bike for a week and the water will settle to the bottom. Try draining the tank and putting in some fresh fuel.

Too bad Australia followed along with the bio-fuel ripoff.
Back to top Go down
Krispy

Krispy

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 7:46 pm

motokid wrote:
Krispy wrote:

battery fine

And you know this how?

it was turning over at normal speed,
Back to top Go down
Krispy

Krispy

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Just Bob wrote:
E10 gas would be my guess. If the stations tank was low or a distributor double dosed a load you could have filled up with kack. Let it sit in your bike for a week and the water will settle to the bottom. Try draining the tank and putting in some fresh fuel.

only fill up with premium same source as my cars which were filled with in a day.

once the bike started it was fine, no hesitations.

anyone had any problems with the fuel hose from the tank to the injection system?
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:39 pm

someone here had a problem with the hose being kinked, that fried their piston. I don't think it would be an issue unless you've removed your fuel tank at some point.
Back to top Go down
Krispy

Krispy

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:41 pm

xy500 wrote:
someone here had a problem with the hose being kinked, that fried their piston. I don't think it would be an issue unless you've removed your fuel tank at some point.

my local bike mechanic removed the tank about 1-2 months ago to fit a new clutch cable. i'll have a look on the weekend
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 6:41 am

If you've got an 08 model your battery is about 5 years old.

Quick way to check is to jump bike off a car battery (do not start car).

Also - some people have had issues with a plug between the radiator and gas tank.
Kick stand switch.
Starter button wires loose or corroded.

I like to start with the easiest things to check first.

Was bike in a dry garage while it was sitting for a week?

Check to see if mice have munched on wires and caused a short somewhere?

Can you hook battery up to a charger/tender and make sure it's fully charged?
Or try the jumper cable trick with a car battery? (do not start car - just use car battery with car not running)

Spark - Fuel - Air

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 10:45 am

Krispy wrote:
Just Bob wrote:

only fill up with premium same source as my cars which were filled with in a day.

once the bike started it was fine, no hesitations.

anyone had any problems with the fuel hose from the tank to the injection system?

I'm sticking with this guess. Once you pumped the water out of the tank and/or float bowl bottom cycling the starter the bike would in fact run fine.
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 11:17 am

Just Bob wrote:

I'm sticking with this guess. Once you pumped the water out of the tank and/or float bowl bottom cycling the starter the bike would in fact run fine.
Australian premium has no ethanol
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:56 pm

xy500 wrote:
Just Bob wrote:

You lucky bastards. In USA its federally mandated in ALL gas.
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Just Bob wrote:
xy500 wrote:
Just Bob wrote:

You lucky bastards. In USA its federally mandated in ALL gas.

I was also told by a tanker driver, that most US premium has the most ethanol added because it boosts the octane to 93. (ethanol has a natural octance rating of 130)
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Some '08s had fuel pump issues. There is a certain list somewhere saying what seriL numbers are effected. Not sure where this list is though.
Back to top Go down
Krispy

Krispy

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 10:18 pm

the bike did start, motokid the battery was brand new when i bought the bike last year. i gave it a service over the weekend the fuel line wasnt kinked, it was in a dry garage no mice at our house.

I think it was just one of those things, maybe the cool air had something to do with it but its fine after it started still fine now.

Yeah no ethanol in our fuel and our premium is 98.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hard to start after a week   hard to start after a week Empty

Back to top Go down

hard to start after a week
Page 1 of 1