Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Staying cool in the heat

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Heoz

Staying cool in the heat Empty
PostSubject: Staying cool in the heat   Staying cool in the heat EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 12:05 pm

Looking for recommendations/experiences with gear or anything that helps keep one cool in the heat. In my case, it's really only an issue when the temps go over 100-105 on terrain that makes you go relatively slow like woods riding or stop and go traffic. I do use a hydration pack.

I stumbled apon these Omni-Freeze ICE items click me and was wondering if anyone has tried any of them in 100 degree+ temps?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Staying cool in the heat   Staying cool in the heat EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 4:08 pm

My only relief is filling my 3 liter hydra pak with ice and water...makes a cool spot on my back for a few hours, while having plenty of water to drink and wash with, if necessary.
I've also seen some fighter pilots trying to develope a cooling suit. Which was essentially an ice water pak, that used a small pump to circulate fluid, thru small plastic hose, that was strategicaly/simply threaded thru their gear. Seemed simple enough...refill with ice as necessary.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Staying cool in the heat   Staying cool in the heat EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Haven't tried it myself, but a lot of folks put on a wet t-shirt. The evaporation helps to cool you, I'm told.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Staying cool in the heat   Staying cool in the heat EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:03 am

http://www.quantumchill.com.au/index.html

brother in law uses the beanie and hard hat liner in his ventilated welding helmet and loves it. plenty of F1 and MotoGP guys use them too. i didn't notice international distributors, but i'f you guys are seriously interested i can look into what it'd cost shipped over.
Back to top Go down
ratthing

ratthing

PostSubject: Re: Staying cool in the heat   Staying cool in the heat EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:31 am

Depending on the relative humidity where you are at, hydrophilic (water absorbing gel) materials may work. They work by means of evaporation, so if you aren't moving and the humidity is really high, they aren't going to work that well. In hot, dry conditions though, they work great.

I have one of these: http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/Cooling_Vest/web1001053 I used this under a mesh jacket riding from LV in 110F+ heat on the way to Taos, NM for WestFest a several years back. I also use it when I have to spend more than 30 minutes or so outside mid-day. It was packed in my bag "just in case" when I went to UT for my last shooting class, since I didn't know how high the temperature would be.

The Columbia product you linked to is like Under Armor heat gear. Other companies also make them. I have two long sleeve shirts made by Champion. They are basically a very tightly woven, tight fitting lycra and polyester blend that immediately wicks perspiration to the surface. I wear mine for both sun protection and cooling. This is what I generally wear when I am going shooting early in the morning before the temperatures get too high.

I also have Cool Ties that I picked up from REI, which are filled with hydrophilic gel.

All of the items that the web site millert85 mentions are available in the US. Phase change vests are commonly sold by industrial safety companies for firefighters and road construction workers. They are very expensive compared to hydrophilic cooling, and require 20 minutes or so in an ice water bath to convert them back to a solid so they can be re-used.

=RT=
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Staying cool in the heat   Staying cool in the heat EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Humans naturaly use evaporation to cool themselves.
There are basic ways to take advantage of this. Increasing surface area, in any given scenerio, will aid in evaporative cooling...considering the physical principles.
Insulation and vapour barriers are another point...and should be harnessed appropriately
Evaporative refrigeration depends on how well and how long you can sustain the evaporative effect.

Considering we constantly produce moisture as result of effort, we are lucky to work that way.
But the ultimate capacity of such a system, requires certain conditions present.

To stay coo/warm enough, at all conditions of effort, requires attention to details.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Staying cool in the heat   Staying cool in the heat Empty

Back to top Go down

Staying cool in the heat
Page 1 of 1