Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Did I just toss some money?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
yaw

Did I just toss some money? Empty
PostSubject: Did I just toss some money?   Did I just toss some money? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 2:46 am

I bought my x with 4,400 miles on it. I immediately converted it to an R. I changed out the front and rear sprockets. Front with a supersprox and the rear with a primary drive. I also replaced the original chain with a primary drive x-ring. Now I'm up past 18,000 miles and noticed my slider was starting to show some wear.

My chain had not been showing any signs of stretching (no adjustments necessary) but I began to be concerned that it was starting to kink (slider wear) So, I decided to purchase a new chain and spockets.

The sprockets don't seem to have hardly worn. I could see a very little difference between the old and new front sprockets but couldn't see any difference between the old and new rear sprockets.

The majority of my riding has been on the tarmac but I've done a fair amount of dirt roads in Death Valley and Southern Utah.

How long do sprockets last? I know this is all relative to where and how you ride. I try to keep my chain lubed and clean and haven't really ridden any mud (amazing since I live in Oregon). I'm a new dirt rider so I'm not placing a huge amount of stress on the chain and sprockets. Is 14,000 miles nothing for a spocket? How many miles are others getting out of their sprockets?

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Did I just toss some money?   Did I just toss some money? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:32 am

I have no idea how long sprockets last.

Steel should last longer than aluminium I'd think.

Plus, on a dinky lil 250cc bike....I'd think they'd last even longer.... Very happy

As long as you did not throw away the "used" sprockets, you should be set for many more thousands of miles.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Did I just toss some money?   Did I just toss some money? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:44 am

motokid wrote:
As long as you did not throw away the "used" sprockets, you should be set for many more thousands of miles.

Agreed. I usually change chains and sprockets as sets but if the sprockets look good I hang on to them for good backups. Plus if you sell the bike people like getting "extra parts" Very happy .
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: Good advice   Did I just toss some money? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks guys. I've held onto the sprockets and will use as a backup. Would love to hear others thoughts on how long you can expect sprockets to last. I was surprised there was so little wear after 14,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did I just toss some money?   Did I just toss some money? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did I just toss some money?
Page 1 of 1