Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

R owners, do yourself a favor..........

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

R owners, do yourself a favor.......... Empty
PostSubject: R owners, do yourself a favor..........   R owners, do yourself a favor.......... EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 10:58 am

Well I finally got around to testing my new dirt wheels (mounted with Dunlop 606's) for my X. First ride was on the pavement, in the rain, on fresh knobbies. It wasn't pretty..... Very happy . Anyway, the point of this is after a few hours testing the new setup (no suspension adjustments yet but some are definitely needed), I came to realize how well the 17" wheels work. They really make the X into a totally different machine from the R. Traction, stability, and WAY less gyroscopic affect from the smaller front wheel (and getting rid of those squirmy knobbies) make it work on the road so much better.

I need to do some suspension tuning but once I get there, it's going to be nice to have both wheel options but if you are an R owner who spends a fair amount of time on the road, you need to beg, borrow or steal a ride from an X owner to try it out. You will not regret having a set of 17" wheel for your bike.
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: R owners, do yourself a favor..........   R owners, do yourself a favor.......... EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 6:43 pm

So what's the least expensive way to get a set of 17" rims for the WR²? Purchase the WRX 17" rims/hubs/spokes, purchase a set of WR² brake discs and bolt them onto the WRX hubs, and just swap knobbies for streets as required?
Back to top Go down
Notsolegit

Notsolegit

PostSubject: Re: R owners, do yourself a favor..........   R owners, do yourself a favor.......... EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 2:25 am

Hrmm Sounds good Crispy, Don't have that cash laying around tho!! Might layby a set or something..
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: R owners, do yourself a favor..........   R owners, do yourself a favor.......... EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:17 am

You'll have to get the whole brake caliper for the X. It's totally different.

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: R owners, do yourself a favor..........   R owners, do yourself a favor.......... EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am

SheWolf wrote:
You'll have to get the whole brake caliper for the X. It's totally different.

Not really. The easiet route is to lace a new wheel to your stock hub or another new stock hub. Mine's an X so I got a set of laced X hubs from Wheeling Supply. They also sell laced R hubs with 17's. No need to mess with the brakes. The only time you would need to mess with the brakes is if you wanted to have the larger X brakes on your R.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=119&offset=10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R owners, do yourself a favor..........   R owners, do yourself a favor.......... Empty

Back to top Go down

R owners, do yourself a favor..........
Page 1 of 1