Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

exup flapper thing removed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mpatch

exup flapper thing removed Empty
PostSubject: exup flapper thing removed   exup flapper thing removed EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 10:06 pm

removed the flapper thing from the exhaust, no welding or cutting of pipe involved

exup flapper thing removed Null-117

exup flapper thing removed Null-118
Back to top Go down
germanwr250r

PostSubject: Re: exup flapper thing removed   exup flapper thing removed EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 7:14 pm

How die you remove the valve in the pipe? Some friends cut the pipe, and cut the whole valve out.

But it seems to have screws or bolts....- what did you do to remove it?
Back to top Go down
mpatch

PostSubject: Re: exup flapper thing removed   exup flapper thing removed EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 12:34 am

germanwr250r wrote:
How die you remove the valve in the pipe? Some friends cut the pipe, and cut the whole valve out.

But it seems to have screws or bolts....- what did you do to remove it?

tools: hammer, vise grips, drill, 6" long drill bit thats around 1/4", long screwdriver, Dremel or cutoff wheel to get off brackets, chisel or prybar, magnetic thingie, bolt, washer and nut(s) to plug hole

1. get everything you can get off off, cut the welds on the brackets, take the spring/cam assemble off, all you should have left is the flapper and the post it's attached to

2. get vise grips and grab the stud

3. insert long scewdriver into exhaust

4. turn stud back and forth with vise grips while screwdriver/prybar is inserted, the goal of this is to get the flapper bent into a U shape, if you dont do this you will never get it out of the exhaust once it's free from the shaft

5. take drill bit and drill out the screws that are holding the flapper on, it's kinda tricky get the bit started because of the phillips head so I a took a long phillips screwdriver and kinda rounded out the slots so the drill bit wouldn't grab and wander as much

once the flapper is off I continued to drill all the way through the rod the it was attched to, the goal is to get the rod into 3 pieces so you can remove it

6. drill, pry, chisel, cuss, repeat a few times and you will have the rod in 3 pieces

7. once the rod is broken in 3 pieces take vise grips and grab the stud again and pull it out as far as you can and cut it off as close as you can to the bung on the pipe (the goal in doing this is to get the piece short enough that it can drop down far enough to be removed) , now all 3 pieces should able to be removed from the exhaust along with the flapper

8. shake out all of the crap from the exhaust

9. take magnet thingie (magnet on a stick) and use it to insert the bolt you are going to use the plug the hole, bolt head inside the pipe, thread on nut with fingers, once its finger tight snug it up with a wrench then put and nut on top of that one (jam nut) and tighten

overall it took me about 2 hours to do, if I had a better drill and bits it would have taken about an hour I think

step #6 is the most time consuming, if you have an acr welder with some cutting rods you could do the whole job in about 30 min I think or maybe even a sawzall with a long blade?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: exup flapper thing removed   exup flapper thing removed Empty

Back to top Go down

exup flapper thing removed
Page 1 of 1