Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Larger Fuel tank!

Go down 
+39
malibu_dan
Machtig
greer
ed29
rpo83
hughtwg
griffin738
Akoffroader
wahilde
lancek
router.exe
2fiddy
derm75
Chadx
10Cup
motokid
fasteer
Longview
gkasper
Chrispy1200
Jäger
ADVJake
1moreroad
ZED
mwakey
asheville thumper
oldirt
SheWolf
INSTIGATOR
Cycletroll
Gargoyle
boogn1sh
scottmac
trlrunner
mtb
SteveRed
pete in atlanta
YamWOW!
Don T
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
derm75

Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 pm

wahilde wrote:

I received my tank two days ago -- same translucent white. I'm trying to install it, but I'm stuck on their instructions. Step 3 says "Fit up the relief valve baffle and cable tie it down into position (picture 4)" and picture 4 shows the u-shaped square piece of metal zip-tied to the fuel pump, but it seems to serve no purpose whatsoever. It doesn't hold down anything. Nothing connects to it. What the hell is a "relief valve baffle" anyway? Help! Please post a link to the Thumper Talk writeup on installing the Safari Tank on the WR250R/X. The rest of the instructions are OK, but this step -- well, I must be missing something.

I don't know what the purpose is, I just did what the pic shows...
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 10:07 pm

router.exe wrote:
those look like the smpro's sold by wheeling cycle supply

Those are the ones!
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 1:22 am

derm75 wrote:
wahilde wrote:

I received my tank two days ago -- same translucent white. I'm trying to install it, but I'm stuck on their instructions. Step 3 says "Fit up the relief valve baffle and cable tie it down into position (picture 4)" and picture 4 shows the u-shaped square piece of metal zip-tied to the fuel pump, but it seems to serve no purpose whatsoever. It doesn't hold down anything. Nothing connects to it. What the hell is a "relief valve baffle" anyway? Help! Please post a link to the Thumper Talk writeup on installing the Safari Tank on the WR250R/X. The rest of the instructions are OK, but this step -- well, I must be missing something.

Would you please take it to a gas station and fill it from empty and take a shot of the pump display when it tops off and post the picture??? Getting reports of 3.35 to 3.75 gallon capacity from guys who have installed these tanks.

Thank you,

Greg
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Still waiting for my blue one I ordered in March. Every time I call it will be a week or two. GAHHHH I thought I had plenty of time before my Long trip with gas at some points 180 miles apart. It starts the 28th of August.

PostSubject: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Took my first long ride today with the new tank. Nice ride about, 140 miles. Looking at the bike when I got home, I noticed my Flatland Racing Radiator Guard was rubbing the tank. Shog Hadn't noticed that when I first installed the tank, fortunately it looks cosmetic so far, but I don't need any extra holes in the tank.. I pulled the tank off and bent the top back corner of the guard in towards the frame using a crescent wrench. Now it looks like this. Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 Radguardedit
Sorry for the blurriness, hard to get a clear pic in there. It was rubbing where that small black mark is that the arrow is trying to point at.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 5:51 pm

Akoffroader wrote:
derm75 wrote:
wahilde wrote:

Would you please take it to a gas station and fill it from empty and take a shot of the pump display when it tops off and post the picture??? Getting reports of 3.35 to 3.75 gallon capacity from guys who have installed these tanks.

Thank you,

Greg

Greg.
Looked over on Bigdog's web site and see where he actually loaded his bike on a trailer and took it to the gas station. Here is his quote.

"
I loaded the bike on my trailer and hauled it to town and filled the tank to the top.
3.66 gallons is it----I am expecting to get a couple more tenths of a gallon in there after the tank
swells out a little."

Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 97%20Aqualine3.66
In case your wondering, I too have this tank on my R² and with stock tires and 12/46 gearing I get 225 miles to empty with 50% dirt and 50% slab.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 pm

Akoffroader wrote:
derm75 wrote:
wahilde wrote:

Thank you,

Greg

I have a white one it took 3.52 gallons.

griffin738

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 2:17 pm

derm75 wrote:
Took my first long ride today with the new tank. Nice ride about, 140 miles. Looking at the bike when I got home, I noticed my Flatland Racing Radiator Guard was rubbing the tank. Shog Hadn't noticed that when I first installed the tank, fortunately it looks cosmetic so far, but I don't need any extra holes in the tank.. I pulled the tank off and bent the top back corner of the guard in towards the frame using a crescent wrench. Now it looks like this. Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 Radguardedit
Sorry for the blurriness, hard to get a clear pic in there. It was rubbing where that small black mark is that the arrow is trying to point at.

I plan to install a radiator guard on my wrr. I'm also considering the safari tank. Any thoughts on how well these two things play out together? derm75's bend on the flatlander guard seems like a good idea - I wonder how its working out? Or maybe there are other decent radiator guards for that would fit better with the larger tank?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 11:29 pm

You might have better luck with a Force rad guard. I know HighFive has one on his, his rubbed a bit too but he fixed that with some aluminum spacers which he mentioned seemed to help immensely. Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 61865

griffin738

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 3:44 pm

SheWolf wrote:
You might have better luck with a Force rad guard. I know HighFive has one on his, his rubbed a bit too but he fixed that with some aluminum spacers which he mentioned seemed to help immensely. Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 61865

Thanks for the tip re: the Force guard - I'll check it out!

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a photo of a safari tank "playing well" with a radiator guard? If so then it would be great to take a look-see!
Back to top Go down
hughtwg

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 9:46 pm

griffin738 wrote:

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a photo of a safari tank "playing well" with a radiator guard? If so then it would be great to take a look-see!

Check HighFive's post halfway down this page
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337&page=721
Back to top Go down
hughtwg

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 9:48 pm

Anyone know if it would be possible to modify the fuel pump so that the low fuel light comes on later?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 10:13 pm

I haven't seen anyone to this day come up with that solution. Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 29721

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 7:04 am

griffin738 wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

Thanks for the tip re: the Force guard - I'll check it out!

I have the force guard and safari tank, i'll post some pics on the weekend, mine seems fine, i have done a couple of thousand klms of trail riding and no problems so far...
Back to top Go down
hughtwg

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 1:05 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I haven't seen anyone to this day come up with that solution. Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 29721

Do you know if it's been tried or is even possible?

It certainly doesn't affect the running of the bike but I know I would be annoyed having my fuel light come on with 40% of my fuel remaining.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 1:15 pm

I don't know anyone who's tried it personally. Just by looking at the whole assembly, I wouldn't even know where to start. It's not like your typical petcock setup where you have longer and shorter intake which would make it a bit simpler.

ed29

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 4:14 pm

hughtwg wrote:
Anyone know if it would be possible to modify the fuel pump so that the low fuel light comes on later?

Thanks

I lowered the low fuel switch one inch from its original location:

Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 DSC03026

I just installed it today, put half a gallon in it to ride to the gas station. The light is on with that much or more, off when full of course.

I will ride it until the light comes on and see what is left. The tank took 3.662 gallons counting the half I put in.

How much gas have y'all seen left in the Safari when the light comes on with the switch in the stock mount?
Back to top Go down
hughtwg

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:29 pm

ed29 wrote:
hughtwg wrote:

Thanks

I lowered the low fuel switch one inch from its original location:

Awesome please keep us posted how it works out.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Holler back when you can, ed29. Thanks!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
ed29

ed29

PostSubject: So far, So good   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 4:06 pm

130 miles so far, not lighting the light yet. Looking into the tank with a flashlight I can see the bottom of the original bracket above the fuel surface, but my tie wrap holding the switch is still immersed. I hope to run 40 or 50 miles after work today to see at what point it comes on, and how much range is left.

I realize that total range to empty is not affected, but see no good purpose in the light coming on with 90-100 miles worth of fuel still on board. If I can cut it to 150-160 miles ridden until the light comes on with 50-60 miles left in the tank I think it will be a good balance. If all it costs is a tie wrap or two to do the mod, even better.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Here's the TT thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796340

According to the OP, total range was 175 miles, fuel light came on at 104 miles, both measured per GPS. You've ridden 130 miles and no light yet, you may have it set just about right. Anxious to hear.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
ed29

ed29

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 5:53 pm

I must be getting better mileage, 175 total range is only 50 MPG.

I just got back from a short ride. Light came on at 145 and I was right near a gas station. It took 2.4 to fill up. That leaves 1.2 gallons in the tank and figures 60.4 MPG. Incidentally, that is the lowest MPG I have seen yet. It also leaves 72 miles to dry in theory for a total range of just under 220 miles. Next time I have the tank off I am going to lower it another quarter or half inch to slide the engagement point a bit more. Another twenty miles worth before the light glows would be good.

I will take pictures again for reference in case anyone else wants to do the mod.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks so much for the info.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
rpo83

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 3:38 am

Here is my Safari and Force guard, there is a ton of room.

Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 SDIM1522
Back to top Go down
griffin738

griffin738

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 2:26 pm

rpo83 wrote:
Here is my Safari and Force guard, there is a ton of room.

Thanks for posting the pic - - looks good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Larger Fuel tank!   Larger Fuel tank! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Larger Fuel tank!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next