Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.

Go down 
+3
zestymac
YZEtc
Spark
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Spark

WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. Empty
PostSubject: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:45 pm

So when I bought my WRX 2009 (from a girl) it was really low, mostly because the spring was very loosen.

So I tighten the spring but something still didn't look right, it was still lower than a friend's WRX.

So... I went to my shop, showed him the tutorial and still, we had no clue what to do. it seems I'm missing a bolt at the bottom of the shock? or maybe it's a different shock? I doubt the girl replaced the entire shock...

Let me show you a picture I took a few min ago of my rear shock and you tell me (I hope):

WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. Img_0712

here is the original photo from the guide: http://www.wrrdualsport.com/images/stories/tech/suspension/lower-05.jpg

Thanks in advance. I love this forum!

Peace:)
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Looks like they removed the lock nut in order to get the rear as low as possible.
I'd get another one on there.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Hmmm I thought extending the shock with the ride height adjuster under the clicker is what lowered it.... Maybe it was lowered in the shock body...
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Yup she removed the lock nut for sure. I just lowered my bike and the 3/8 adjustment you get from that lock nut will give you a full inch of height. If your looking to raise the bike you can thread that block out like an inch and get like inch and half of seat height. I would put a lock nut back on there for sure! How about the front end? Were the forks pushed up through the tripletrees?
Back to top Go down
Spark

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 3:07 am

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
Yup she removed the lock nut for sure. I just lowered my bike and the 3/8 adjustment you get from that lock nut will give you a full inch of height. If your looking to raise the bike you can thread that block out like an inch and get like inch and half of seat height. I would put a lock nut back on there for sure! How about the front end? Were the forks pushed up through the tripletrees?

Thank ya'll for the help.

Is it complicated to get that bolt back there? Should I order the OEM one or any bolt that size will do?

The forks were indeed lowered, already got that back to regular position.

Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 am

The process is quite easy and should go like this. First stand bike up and take measurement to tip of rear fender for comparison. Set bike on a stand (or milk crate if you dont have one) so rear tire doesnt have any pressure on it. Remove bolt from swingarm linkage @ the knuckle. Pick rear tire up all the way to fender and set something under it. I was able to get a small bucket underneith. This will made lots of room to work on bottom of shock. You should now be able to unthread that knuckle. There is a flat spot on the shock ram to wrench on. I threaded mine in 3/8 inch and got a full inch of seat height out of it. Mine come stock only threaded half way into the knuckle and I would deffinately go order a jam nut. The OEM one is like 5/16 thick and you prob. wont find one like that around town. Then check your measurement and see what u did thumb
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 am

Spark, do you have a torque wrench and manual for tightening them forks back up. Top clamps are like 17ft lbs or 204 in lbs. I was warned not to over tighten them.
Back to top Go down
Spark

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks.
No I dont but I'll get one.
What I don't understand is how do I take out the bottom part of the shock so I can inset the jam nut? if I spin it the actual shock spins with it.
Also I couldn't find that part in the OEM catalog, I guess I'll have to find something similar that will fit...
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Theres a spot right above the rebound adjuster you put a wrench on to hold the shaft so it doesnt spin, then you turn the clevis with another wrench.
Get a new nut from the dealer or take the clevis off and take it to a fastner/bolt place and get them to match up a new nut for it, if the new nut is thicker than the stocker grind it down to 5/16.
High strenght lock tight on the clevis threads and running without the lock nut will be fine too IMO. I cant see why the shock shaft would turn at all and unthread the clevis.
Back to top Go down
iFlyLow

iFlyLow

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyThu May 16, 2013 5:11 pm

is the locknut absolutely necessary? this might be a good way to lower the bike some more.

Or we could shave the factory nut down some to gain a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyFri May 17, 2013 6:31 pm

The OP was riding around without one wink

I'd put some lock tight on the clevis if it was mine and I was removing the lock nut.
Back to top Go down
Zugman

Zugman

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 2:53 pm

Does anyone have a picture of the stock link to compare?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.   WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery. Empty

Back to top Go down

WRX going back, up with height using original link. mystery.
Page 1 of 1