Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How fast do you cruise?

Go down 
+4
Swagger
mucker
gatorfan
oic0
8 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

How fast do you cruise? Empty
PostSubject: How fast do you cruise?   How fast do you cruise? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Just wondering. Does anyone have a LOT of miles at high speed? I still can't get over the feeling that I'm tearing my bike up when I run a true 75mph (82 displayed) or worse, a true 80mph (87mph displayed). Last weekend I hit a mellow curvy road with no one on it and just went at it, throttle held wide open most of the time, speedo displaying 80s-90, it was fun but I sure felt like I was beating the crap out of it lol (the road had a high enough speed limit I woulda got a ticket, but not taken to jail or towedl ;) ).

Sofar I'm at 11k miles on it, most of it at 55-65.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: How fast do you cruise?   How fast do you cruise? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:06 pm

I've gone at that pace for hours on dozens of rides. Heck, I bought the bike to ride so that's what I'm gonna do. Other than chain damage to the swing arm (which was my fault) I have not had one single problem with the machine. I change the oil religiously.

10K miles

p.s. Your avatar is killing me.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: How fast do you cruise?   How fast do you cruise? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 pm

I rarely ride hwy more than an hour at a time...but about an hour rather frequently.
Heading there I usually do the speed limit, but headin home, pooped, after a few hours of trails...I usually just pin it.
Bike doesn't seem to mind either way.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: How fast do you cruise?   How fast do you cruise? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 pm

Just turned 18k. Hwy riding every day home at 80-90 (indicated) and no issues what so ever. This bike is a beast. Saw for the first time the other day 105 mph (indicated) on the speedo. I figure about 97ish actual. Now I wouldnt want to run it that fast for an ext period of time, not out of fear the bike couldnt handle but just my personal comfort (kinda buzzy IMHO), but in the 80-90 indicated range...Twist it man!
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: How fast do you cruise?   How fast do you cruise? EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 5:48 am

I have literally done 850 km of just autobahn in one day. It takes me about 9-10 hours. I like to keep it between 65 and 75 and 80 mph. So basically what I do I alternate between say 67 for 30 mins to 77 for 30 mins, back to 67 for 30 mins and so on. I do this only on the super long 500 km plus autobahn stints where I do it more for my own sake than for the bikes. I can physically relax a lot more doing 67 than doing 77. bear in mind that usually on those long trips I'm also loaded up with top case and side bags...

if I'm just riding out to have fun (no luggage and no 500 km autobahn) just ride it as hard as I like thumb Still I never usually take it above 85 as it starts to feel a bit wobbly at those speeds for me.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: How fast do you cruise?   How fast do you cruise? EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Mine has around 43,000 miles on it. Easily 30k of that is highway miles at 60-75mph (true GPS, not indicated). I've held the throttle to the stop from a fresh fillup till I ran out of gas for 3 or 4 tanks in a row trying to make time getting somewhere, and the motor took it like a champ. I've only now gotten to where I need some top end work, likely just rings and maybe reshimming the valves.

You really can't hurt these bikes, twist it and go.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: How fast do you cruise?   How fast do you cruise? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 am

My experience pales next to Skierds, but when it's bike season I regularly do three hour commutes from one house to the other with the throttle pinned.

I don't worry about hurting the engine anymore, if I ever did.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: How fast do you cruise?   How fast do you cruise? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Well with someone getting 43K out of one that sort settles it for me. I've got no problems with the wind and vibration so I guess Ill just run the piss out of it on the highway instead of taking the VTX. The gas savings it gets will be enough to get it a new top end after 3 years anyway lol...
I'll just have to get over that tearing something up feeling lol. Running it at 9k rpms down the highway feels like riding my dirt bike down a trail and just leaving it in first WOT the whole way lol.
Back to top Go down
Otter

Otter

PostSubject: Takes a lickin and    How fast do you cruise? EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 3:56 pm

My bike is pretty much stock in the power plant department I bought the bike in August 2012 and have almost 12k miles on it. I have travelled multiple times from my Palm Springs home to Las Vegas, Laughlin, Kingman, Needles, and Parker. I am riding through the Mojave Desert and the rides in August/September were blazing 110 degrees at times. Running sometimes at full speed wide open deserts, no problems, purrs like a kitten. Only indication that the bike is working hard is the cooling fan cycling on and off at stops or low speeds. This power plant is awesome. I love being able to ride the bike on highway at speed to my remote off-highway destination rather than using the pickup truck. That said . . . crank it on!
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: How fast do you cruise?   How fast do you cruise? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Well I gave it a go, I haven't calculated the MPG yet but the fuel light came on around 70 miles so its not going to be too good lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How fast do you cruise?   How fast do you cruise? Empty

Back to top Go down

How fast do you cruise?
Page 1 of 1