Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

DIY Fork Revalve???

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
duanew

DIY Fork Revalve??? Empty
PostSubject: DIY Fork Revalve???   DIY Fork Revalve??? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 6:30 pm

I was thinking of sending my rear shock off to Go Race and telling them to send me the parts for the forks so that I can do them myself. Has any of you guys ever done the forks yourself? Is it hard and do you need any special tools? I have done forks on other bikes and it was not too hard. They were right side up forks though.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: DIY Fork Revalve???   DIY Fork Revalve??? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 1:31 pm

I did exactly that with Go Race. The only "special" tool you will need is a damper rod holder. I made one myself out of a piece of pipe. If you've done other forks before (right side up or not), then these aren't much different. Go for it.
Back to top Go down
unruly

unruly

PostSubject: Re: DIY Fork Revalve???   DIY Fork Revalve??? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:39 am

I also did the same last year about this time. I bought a 46-47 mm Motion Pro fork seal driver to install the KYB seals that Travis sells.

I cannot say enough about how happy I am with the Go-Race rear shock mods and fork base valves. Absolutely the best value of anything I have done to improve the bike!
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: DIY Fork Revalve???   DIY Fork Revalve??? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

unruly wrote:
I bought a 46-47 mm Motion Pro fork seal driver to install the KYB seals that Travis sells.

I guess that this is my only real problem. This one tool is about $35 or more. I was able to use a piece of pipe to drive the seals on the right side up forks but you can't do that on the upside down forks because it has to be able to split and fit over the shaft.

How much is the job going to cost me approx? I need to know how much I need to save up.
Back to top Go down
unruly

unruly

PostSubject: Re: DIY Fork Revalve???   DIY Fork Revalve??? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 1:56 am

you can get current prices from this link:

http://go-race.com/wordpress/?page_id=291

I went with the full service and all the recommended parts to upgrade the shock, plus a set of base valves and the SKF seals for the fork. You will also need fork oil. I bought 2L of the Maxxima 85-150 5 Wt Racing Fork Fluid that Travis recommends. I think I got it on sale from Bike Bandit.

I bet if you ask around you can find someone with a seal driver you can borrow. Or just cut the PVC pipe in half. If I remember, the seals were not all that tight a fit. The Motion-Pro tool made short work of that part of the job, but if you take your time I'm sure you could get something else to work.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: DIY Fork Revalve???   DIY Fork Revalve??? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 2:54 pm

unruly wrote:
Or just cut the PVC pipe in half. If I remember, the seals were not all that tight a fit.

That's what I did. I can confirm the seals are not a tight fit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Fork Revalve???   DIY Fork Revalve??? Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY Fork Revalve???
Page 1 of 1