Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ordered wrong chain :(

Go down 
+4
GT-250
motokid
YZEtc
mcdoudlehopper
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Ordered wrong chain  :( Empty
PostSubject: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 6:29 pm

So I recieved my new DID520 gold chain today and found out the one I ordered isn't an O-ring chain. Turns out it is an 520DZ 2 chain. Can anyone tell me something about this chain? Not sure to keep it or not. I do quiet a bit of offroading and assumed I needed an O-ring chain.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 8:33 pm

I'd return it.

With DID chains, you want one that has a V in the model designation if you wan a sealed O- or X-ring chain.
Examples:
520V
520VM
520VX2
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks for the info. Gonna send it back.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Someone want to school me on x-ring chains. deal Dont know anything about them lurk
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 5:35 am

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
Someone want to school me on x-ring chains. deal Dont know anything about them lurk

There's debate over if there's a real difference between x and o ring.

In theory an X ring holds the grease in and the dirt out better due to it having a cross-sectional difference in design.

Is there a seat-of-the-pants difference in feel? Not that I'm aware of.

Does an X-ring last longer than an o-ring?

Supposedly, but again so much comes down to how well you maintain your chain.

After asking the same question here a while back I just went with the x-ring. dunno

I'll see if I can find that thread.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1841-chains-x-ring-o-ring-street-off-road?highlight=ring <-- here it is

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 5:41 am

^^ Hey mate - basically in laymans terms it's just a better / up-rated version of a sealed type o-ring chain....Proberly an easier sales pitch too with the "X" factor in the name ! lol ( Real benifit is that the design / style of the "x" rings are supposed to give a better seal than a "conventional" o-ring type chain....so lube stays in & dirt stays out better than the "standard" o-ring design ).

I'm running a gold series Sunstar XTG tripple gaurd x-ring chain on my WRR - seems the goods so far. ( It has a very high pin load rating & tensile strength & it's hardly even needed much "stretch" adjustment after approx 3,000 Klms ).

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 5:43 am

Beaten to the punch by motokid due to my slow 2 finger Mechanic typing, LOL.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 6:00 am

poser2

I'm sure I started typing long before you did. Very happy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 7:14 am

^^ LOL Very happy dutch
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:09 pm

I probably would have just gone ahead and used it rather than pay shipping twice to get a new one. They dont last as long and require more maintenance but are cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 7:51 pm

mcdoudlehopper wrote:

IMO they are worth the extra few bucks.
I had race quads for alot of years and went through a bunch of chains and sprockets, an X ring chain would last about twice as long as a O ring chain when used in extreme conditions (high hp and lots of mud).
The X ring has less friction too, I couldnt tell the difference between them while riding but you can feel it when you spin the wheel by hand to lube the chain.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks for the info. Havent sent it back yet but found a nice blue on for same price in an O-ring.
Back to top Go down
FTWeather

FTWeather

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:16 pm

just jumping in on the end here... out of curiosity, what "type" / brand is the factory stock chain? "O" "X" or I would guess neither? what is it's average life expectancy...I got about 7k on factory chain... thanks : )

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
Thanks for the info. Havent sent it back yet but found a nice blue on for same price in an O-ring.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 12:06 am

Factory chain is a D.I.D brand O-ring. Chain life varies depending on riding conditions, style, & how well you maintain the chain.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 am

FTWeather wrote:
just jumping in on the end here... out of curiosity, what "type" / brand is the factory stock chain? "O" "X" or I would guess neither? what is it's average life expectancy...I got about 7k on factory chain

DID 520V, which is their base model O-ring chain that was in their product range for about 25 years, in my estimation.
7,000 miles seems like average milage out of one to me, so not bad.

Although it may still be coming on new bikes off the assembly lines, when buying replacements from a local motorcycle dealer, it has been replaced in distributor catalogues during the past couple of years by the DID 520VX2, an X-ring chain.

O-ring?
X-ring?
Difference?
See here:

http://www.didchain.com/trialsChains.html
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 8:33 am

The stock 520V O ring chain is the weakest 520 chain DID makes, its more than strong enough for a 250 tho.
All the other X and O ring chains they make use a larger pin dia and are much stronger and last longer.
Back to top Go down
FTWeather

FTWeather

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 2:44 pm

thanks for the stock chain info replies, guys!!
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 am

I NEVER clean my chain, rarely lube it (although 95% of my riding is on road). My stocker lasted about 10k. It wasn't stretching at that point but it had gotten stiff. So stiff you could make a sculpture from it and some of the links felt almost welded together lol. It was also rubbing on my swing arm without me noticing, that may have overheated it and cooked the lube or something because it wasn't anywhere near its stretch limit.
Back to top Go down
FTWeather

FTWeather

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 2:59 pm

oops, had another quick question as I'm soon replacing stock chain. Is stock chain length 108? i have stock gearing (13-43 I believe)

AND

is there a range of sprocket sizes that work with the 108 length (obviously there is some range to adjust chain) but when do you need to go to a longer chain (if at all)? say...going up to a 47 rear, 13 front... 108 chain length still be OK? thanks all : ) josh
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 3:41 pm

A 47 tooth rear would require a longer chain.

Looky: entire section on chains and gearing <-- clicky

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ordered wrong chain :(   Ordered wrong chain  :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Ordered wrong chain :(
Page 1 of 1