Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Need advice for SW Colorado trip

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hog86r

Need advice for SW Colorado trip  Empty
PostSubject: Need advice for SW Colorado trip    Need advice for SW Colorado trip  EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 am

Greetings, all.
I am planning to go to Colorado in mid September with some friends. We will be spending a week near Lake City which as I understand it is in SW Colorado, generally speaking. We will primarily be riding ATV's but I also plan to bring my WRR. There will also be another WRR on the trip. This will be my first time out there. Right now I am thinking my WRR will ridden on "real roads" primarily and not the goat trails I have seen on Youtube. I am a novice rider and really do not wish to fall hundreds of feet to my death 1200 miles from home so my trail riding will likely be confined to the ATV.

As mentioned, I plan to make some rides on real roads on my WRR and since this is my first time, I am seeking some feed-back from you guys.

If any of you guys have any advice on such things as "must-see attractions" or be sure you don't ___, will be greatly appreciated.

thanks greatly. I will try to bring back pix.

Hog86r
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for SW Colorado trip    Need advice for SW Colorado trip  EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Been there 2X on bikes. Ouray is a beautiful town and has great twisties on the way in if you approach from the South. I know you're looking to play it safe but you really should consider the Alpine Loop if you're in the neighborhood. I'm told it's one of the all time great dual sport rides. The Alpine loop does not look too tough on You Tube videos. It's the passes over to Telluride that are tough.

If you go to Ouray make sure you stop at the Ouray Brewery and have a beer on the roof while you take in the sunset.

Silverton is a nice little town too.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for SW Colorado trip    Need advice for SW Colorado trip  EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Ouray. Alpine Loop. ALPIIIIINEEEEE LOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!

Did it on my Rhino last year. Absolutely one of the most amazing pieces of dirt road ever.

Also, taking the road out of Marble, Colorado is amaaaazing... :)
Back to top Go down
rideblue

rideblue

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for SW Colorado trip    Need advice for SW Colorado trip  EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 7:30 pm

You will love the alpine loop just got back from the RMAR very pretty country there is a lots of traffic up there . Enjoy and be safe.. I got spanked a couple of times !!!! Peace YAM 
Back to top Go down
Hog86r

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for SW Colorado trip    Need advice for SW Colorado trip  EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks for all the info and ideas.

Maybe I should reveal that I am a 56 year old fat noob. Nevertheless, I may very well give Alpine Loop a try on two wheels.

thanks again.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Alpine Loop   Need advice for SW Colorado trip  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Odd, I thought I posted this as a response to your post. But it ended up in its own post topic.
-----------
Alpine Loop for sure. That is super good ride. Though if you are a real green noob, you might avoid Cork Screw Pass. Here is a link to a ride report from my trip a year ago. The first day was a section of the Alpine Loop . Some decent pictures so you can see what it is like.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816701&highlight=hopscotch

If interested, this was a 2600 mile ride. A big loop starting in Colorado and going up in to Montana and back.
Back to top Go down
Hog86r

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for SW Colorado trip    Need advice for SW Colorado trip  EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Just got back from my Colorado ATV trip. Rode my Grizzly 700 99% of the time but one guy in our group of 9 rode his WR250R. Although our routes were chosen for the ATVs that us the rest of us rode, the WR250R made all the rides successfully. the one ride that was impractically difficult was Cannibal Plateau but he made it with a little help from a friend.

We did the Lake City Alpine Loop area. Trail traffic was light.

it was a trip of a lifetime. will add pix when I figure it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need advice for SW Colorado trip    Need advice for SW Colorado trip  Empty

Back to top Go down

Need advice for SW Colorado trip
Page 1 of 1