Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Awful HID light pattern.

Go down 
+2
motokid
STANDING BARE
6 posters
AuthorMessage
STANDING BARE

Awful HID light pattern. Empty
PostSubject: Awful HID light pattern.   Awful HID light pattern. EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 9:26 am

I just bought a barely used 2013 WRR and the seller had installed a HID kit in it. On the first night ride I took it on the beam pattern on "high" was splotchy and all over the place. It is unusable but VERY bright right where you don't need it. The low beam is as bad. I have not been able to find any info on why or how to correct it. I'm pretty sure it has to do with where in the reflector the bulb is placed. I'm going to convert back to a Sylviana Ultra halogen bulb 55/60 and see if I can get something I can live with.dunno 
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Awful HID light pattern.   Awful HID light pattern. EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 am

Do the two adjustment screws on headlight housing not allow you to "correct" the left-right and up-down placement of light beam?

I'm not sure how the HID headlights work regarding the OEM adjustment screws.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
STANDING BARE

PostSubject: Re: Awful HID light pattern.   Awful HID light pattern. EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 7:04 pm

The adjustment screws adjust the awful pattern just like they are supposed to do. I think I may have spotted part of the problem. This bulb has a shield on it and as I undersatnd what little I know about these lights, it is supposed to me on the bottom to reduce the upward reach of the light and "cut" it off so it won't blind oncoming traffic. Peering into the light I notice that the shield is on the side. I don't think that this is right. Tomorrow night I will try to mount the bulb with the shield on the bottom and see what happens. I'll report back at that time with the results.
Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

PostSubject: Re: Awful HID light pattern.   Awful HID light pattern. EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:03 am

This is actually pretty common from what I've seen on the ebay HID kits. Based on how many HID conversion threads I've seen where the guy was pleased as punch most people don't even notice it. I'm like you though - I want a nice, useable beam pattern. I'd remove the kit and go back to halogen myself. If you want more light, there's LED's available for the same price as one of those kits.
Back to top Go down
DeadmTrigger

PostSubject: Re: Awful HID light pattern.   Awful HID light pattern. EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 am

To truly fix the HID is to get some projector lenses put in. I will say that even though my HID also have a slight darker center it is still much brighter than halogens. Make sure also not to get too high of a Kelvin range light. The higher the Kelvin the less usable light you emit. I wouldn't go any higher than 6000k. 4300k is as close to natural sunlight and that is what your look for.

Also be careful of the High Output Halogens like the SilverStars. The high output causes them to burn out very quickly and they also tint the bulbs to get the color of a HID.
Back to top Go down
STANDING BARE

PostSubject: Re: Awful HID light pattern.   Awful HID light pattern. EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 9:07 pm

I installed the HID bulb the way it was supposed to go, shield on the bottom, and it was a great improvement but not acceptable. I'll install the halogen tonight and see how it looks. I think that even the longest life (lowest output) Sylvania would be a VAST improvement over this POS.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Awful HID light pattern.   Awful HID light pattern. EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 9:38 pm

My experience with HID's is that the the light pattern is generally not good and I think that is due to the fact that the lens and reflector assembly on most bikes were not designed for HID.

I have tried a couple on two different bikes and ended up switching back to a standard H4 bulb.

To get more light I added LED spot lights.
Back to top Go down
Wallrat

Wallrat

PostSubject: Re: Awful HID light pattern.   Awful HID light pattern. EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 2:26 am

That's basically the problem with HID kits. Nearly all the guys I ride with have converted to HID's and not one of them has a decent beam pattern. A full HID assembly has a reflector that is built for that HID. Just changing the bulb out for an HID one w/ ballast makes for a bright light with a crappy beam pattern. I second going halogen with the main light for road use and adding a couple LED's for offroad riding.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Awful HID light pattern.   Awful HID light pattern. EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 10:25 am

I ran a piaa xtreme white plus antivibration bulb in my KLR for 5 years then put it in the WRR when I got it.

It lasted 20000kms in the KLR and 1500kms in the WRR before low beam burnt out, this is likely due to not being able to turn the light off while racing ofroad all the bouncing around is hard on bulbs.

Its close to 50% brighter than stock with no issues at all, its hard to judge exactly how much brighter a bulb is tho but I can see much further down the road or trail.

I'll be putting it back in for winter trail riding because I dont need low beam for that plus blueish bulbs rock in the snow and I havent gotten around to buying another one yet, I have a stash of stock bulbs as my last 2 cars took the same bulb and I upgraded them lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awful HID light pattern.   Awful HID light pattern. Empty

Back to top Go down

Awful HID light pattern.
Page 1 of 1