Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
teambastrd07

290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  Empty
PostSubject: 290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?    290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Just trying to get a feeler and opinions going on what you guys think about a big bore kit or turbo, which would you go with and why??? Im doing one or the other on my 2014 after break in just cant decide which....HELP!!!!
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: 290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?    290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:51 pm

I see you have the WRR version....so if you plan on any dirt use at all, then the Turbo option is not a very suitable idea. ( Due to the intake air pick up, which sits out in the breeze behind the front wheel ).

I suppose that you could modify the dry element pod type filter that the Turbo kit comes with if you really want the Turbo and for offroad use.

I've done the 290 kit, and along with fuel programmer, intake & exhaust mods, it's a very welcome increase in useable power & torque. I reckon that to add the stroker kit and take it right out to the 306 would be the best overall option for this little bike. ( But still very good at "just" the 290 kit ).

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
teambastrd07

PostSubject: Re: 290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?    290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 12:13 pm

What kind of engine life are tou guys seeing out of the big bore and stroker motors? I've talked to mr Morgan at mpfab a few times and he sees great results out of the turbo kit.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: 290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?    290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 2:15 pm

There have been good reviews on the 280 & 290 kits. The Athena kit has had some reports of shorter ring life blamed on the single compression ring vs dual compression rings like stock & the TR 280 kit. 290 users have noted increased vibration from the heavier piston, not a deal breaker for most but it's there. The 280 kit performs very similarly but has a lighter 3 ring piston & service life should be similar to stock.
The Turbo is cool, but vulnerable for off road use.

I'm assembling a 306 now with a TR 3 ring piston, a used, recoated Athena cylinder & a +3mm stroker crank balanced to the 83mm piston.

290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  20140423_145326_resized

290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  20140423_145412

This should be in the 35-37HP no fuss combination
Back to top Go down
teambastrd07

PostSubject: Re: 290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?    290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 9:16 pm

nice!! If you don't mind me asking what will you have in the build when complete? I know the turbo kit is 2050 which includes a PCV
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: 290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?    290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:01 pm

I bought the uninstalled TR kit from a member here very reasonably, so I have about half of that invested including the purchase of a spare engine that I'm building instead of messing with my 5k mile stock engine. The spare came with a hurt Athena kit, which is why I wound up using an Athena cylinder with my kit.

The Turbo is probably the best bang for the buck if you are stuck on hopping up the 250. A 2012 or newer 450F would still kick it's butt
Back to top Go down
teambastrd07

PostSubject: Re: 290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?    290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 7:52 pm

thanks for the input....decided to go with the big bore and stroker instead of the turbo. My brother just got a new drzsm so we are going to get out of road racing and just mess around in the woods more like we used to. should be fun! thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: 290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?    290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Did you start on yours yet? I am very impressed with mine. It's actually easier to ride with the improved torque & pull hwy speeds much easier, So easy I'm thinking about gearing it taller than my 14/49 because it pulls 6th so much easier I keep looking for 7th..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?    290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?  Empty

Back to top Go down

290 athena big bore or mpfab turbo?
Page 1 of 1