Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Athena Big Bore Users Thread

Go down 
+7
miniceptor86
chuckP
Biglake
pbnut
Rusty Shovel
GT-250
Peterbuilt
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

Athena Big Bore Users Thread Empty
PostSubject: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 pm

This thread is to post up info/opinions on how your Athena Wr290R/X is liking the added performance..

I installed my Athena about a month ago, and can't ride it for a few more weeks at least due to living in Northern Ontario, Canada.. We still have a bit of snow.

Here's mine, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RITr8wI2Y

Anyways, post up how much mileage you've put on the Wr since the install.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 8:59 pm

thumb This should be a great thread also for those yet to pull the trigger on the Athena kit - to help confirm their decision of pending purchase. ( In regards to long term reports from multiple users etc ).

Good work Pete & i hope this thread builds up alot of feed back - i for one will be monitoring.

Cheers, Gavin.
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 am

+1 lurk
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 4:00 am

Do the Thumper Racing kit guys get to participate too? Shog

I bought the kit. I'm just waiting to get home and tear the bike apart.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 pm

pbnut wrote:
Do the Thumper Racing kit guys get to participate too? Shog

I bought the kit. I'm just waiting to get home and tear the bike apart.

Plus 1
If I was to get a big bre kit it would be the thumper racing kit.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:21 pm

10k miles on my Athena BB. Still runs like the day I installed it.
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 3:49 pm

pbnut wrote:
Do the Thumper Racing kit guys get to participate too?

Absolutely! thumb
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 am

4K miles on the athena kit and still thumping away with no problems.
Back to top Go down
macgregor

macgregor

PostSubject: Gidday Eh!   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 8:21 am

Hey PeterBuilt, I am from ottawa ontario canada, I just bought a used 2008wrx late last fall, which has the Athena kit installed, two brothers exhaust and power juicer, I can't comment on what the bike was like stock as I never rode one stock, but I had just sold my kawasaki 2001 ninja 600 zxr and picked up this bike, got to ride maybe 1000kms and then old man winter hit and he's still hittin hard, here. looking forward to spring for sure, anyhow after this season of run time I will post back here, but from what I did taste of the Athena I liked it very much, this bike is awesome.

one other thing, I also had a 2009 kawasaki 250 klx, did a dino jet and fmf exhaust, but wasn't happy at all with the bike, felt very underpowered to me, I guess it needed a big bore also, but I didn't want to pull the trigger on that, so I went from that to a 2001 zxr600 ninja, liked it for sure, awesome handling and plenty of torque, but missed the adventure side of things, after all I am 50 now and like to slow things down a bit and enjoy some scenery, so I sold the zxr and after reading alot of info here I decided I would try the wrx and I am happy to say that I am totally pleased with this bike, no regrets, also love the EFI over carbs.

Enjoy your Athena kit, looking forward to hearing about what you thin of it....cheers Greg.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 8:29 am

macgregor wrote:
Hey PeterBuilt, I am from ottawa ontario canada, I just bought a used 2008wrx late last fall, which has the Athena kit installed, two brothers exhaust and power juicer, I can't comment on what the bike was like stock as I never rode one stock, but I had just sold my kawasaki 2001 ninja 600 zxr and picked up this bike, got to ride maybe 1000kms and then old man winter hit and he's still hittin hard, here. looking forward to spring for sure, anyhow after this season of run time I will post back here, but from what I did taste of the Athena I liked it very much, this bike is awesome.

one other thing, I also had a 2009 kawasaki 250 klx, did a dino jet and fmf exhaust, but wasn't happy at all with the bike, felt very underpowered to me, I guess it needed a big bore also, but I didn't want to pull the trigger on that, so I went from that to a 2001 zxr600 ninja, liked it for sure, awesome handling and plenty of torque, but missed the adventure side of things, after all I am 50 now and like to slow things down a bit and enjoy some scenery, so I sold the zxr and after reading alot of info here I decided I would try the wrx and I am happy to say that I am totally pleased with this bike, no regrets, also love the EFI over carbs.

Enjoy your Athena kit, looking forward to hearing about what you thin of it....cheers Greg.

Small world: I'm another Greg in Ottawa with a WR250X.
Any more and we'll need to form a support group. dutch
Back to top Go down
macgregor

macgregor

PostSubject: small world   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 8:54 am

hey there Greg, small world alright, it sure can be.

I am actually outside of ottawa now, I live in hammond, moved there 5 years ago with my wife, my girls have left the nest, so we decided to head to the country, orleans was just getting to built up for our liking.

anyhow nice to know you, maybe see you on the road some time, I have yet to see another wrx250, but as I said my ride time was way to short last fall, can't wait for this snow to leave, hard to believe it was spring as of 7a.m.....I plowed snow for about 2 hours yesterday and will have to again do it tonight, all the while looking at the bike sitting in the garage ready to roll.

here is to a great summer ahead dutch keep the shiny side up...cheers Greg
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 9:56 am

Nice to meet you Greg(s)! I can't wait for the snow to leave.. my bike i ready to ride.. but i still have some parts i'd like to throw at it before i take her out.. 1 1/8" bars, yamalink, lower the front a bit..

but I've been busy rebuilding the motor in my 98 crv due to the timing belt snapping.. So I decided to put a Integra GSR Vtec cylinder head on the 2Liter block.. She should be back together this weekend.. My crank and rods are at the machine shop getting work done..
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 12:08 am

I finally went for a ride with the big bore installed.. I must say, a lot more torque! Goes up super quick when you clutch it up in second, way faster than before..

Anyone thinking of doing the big bore.. DO IT! freaky
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 2:53 pm

I just picked up an Athena cylinder, supposedly for the 83mm piston, but the bore measures in at about 77mm (stock size). Is that right (just bore it to fit piston), or did I get the wrong cylinder? I'm thinking it's the wrong one... The number on the box, S410485301032, differs from the number stamped on the cylinder, S410485301031.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 6:05 pm

The number on the box is the correct part number for the 83mm, the cylinder you should have got.
The number on your cylinder is the one for the stock size cylinder.

You don't bore it...

That sucks, hopefully you can get the seller to send the correct cylinder.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 3:35 am

Oops my engine just dropped into pieces me thinks a thumper racing kit will jump in its place!
Athena Big Bore Users Thread Da638d0738ba2e9184425fe5dd5dde37Athena Big Bore Users Thread C2d97ad9e4cbba448b0272104e99860d
2 1/2 hours after starting.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 3:13 pm

f3joel wrote:
The number on the box is the correct part number for the 83mm, the cylinder you should have got.
The number on your cylinder is the one for the stock size cylinder.

You don't bore it...

That sucks, hopefully you can get the seller to send the correct cylinder.
That's what I thought. We're working on getting it corrected.

Monkeynuts wrote:
Oops my engine just dropped into pieces me thinks a thumper racing kit will jump in its place!

2 1/2 hours after starting.
If I get the correct cylinder I'll be doing the same in a few weeks. I got the stroker crank too, so I'll be splitting the cases. Should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 5:02 pm

If I get the correct cylinder I'll be doing the same in a few weeks. I got the stroker crank too, so I'll be splitting the cases. Should be interesting.

Would of gone that way too, but everything has to be shipped from over the pond ! Should be up and running tomorrow if all goes well. wink 
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 7:26 am

Just turned 6K miles on the Athena BB and it still runs great. Road over 250 miles over the weekend at the Big Woods 200 dual sport ride where the low end torque and MT 43 allowed the bike to hook up and get me through some knarley (for me) spots in the hero sections.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Athena Big Bore Users Thread   Athena Big Bore Users Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Athena Big Bore Users Thread
Page 1 of 1