Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Which Windshield?

Go down 
+6
Electrojake
Rushblur
wjfawb0
danwray
rsteiger
camaroz1985
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
camaroz1985

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 4:05 pm

I am moving and my commute has gone from 6 miles round trip on back roads to 60 miles round trip mostly on highways.

I would like something to get the wind off of my chest, and hopefully make the ride a little more comfortable. I am 5'10", 32" inseam for reference.

Here is what I found (price isn't the biggest factor, but it is something to consider)

Slipstreamer Spit Fire - $69.00

Cee Bailey's - $89.95

Screens For Bikes - $140

TCI Products - $199.95

MRA VarioScreen - $237.98 (w/ Mounting Hardware)

Anyone use any of them, or have any recommendations?

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 8:26 pm

I had a Spitfire on my DR650 for a bit.

Seemed to work pretty decent on the highway but once I started riding more dirt I took it off to get more airflow.

I remember having to play around with it for a bit to get the right position so my head wasn't being slammed around.
Back to top Go down
danwray

danwray

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 10:08 am

I have the Cee Baileys. I had it mounted as intended for a while, but it was still a little low for me. I found that on colder days it sent the wind right up my chin. So i bought some handlebar mount kit for another shield and used it to move the cee bailey up a bit. I like this much better, but you could basically get a similar result with the spitfire. although its a little bigger and might not look so good. I do like how much easier it is to remove the windscreen with the handlebar mounts, much easier than when it was bolted to the fairing.
Back to top Go down
wjfawb0

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 10:31 am

I had a spitfire on my previous WR250R. It worked well for road use. On hot days it blocked too much airflow. I'd find myself standing up on slower rides to dry the sweat out. If you like avoiding bug and rock strikes to the face shield on the road, it works well for that.
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyFri May 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Hmmm.  I'm looking at my bars now and wondering how well the Spitfire would fit with the HDB clamp?  It seems like real estate is sort of limited.

Maybe I could make it work like this.
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t7039-ktm-690-enduro-flyscreen

I also like that screen (KTM Enduro).
Back to top Go down
Rushblur

Rushblur

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyWed May 28, 2014 3:51 pm

I just installed Cee Bailey's a few weeks ago.  I'm a bit shorter than you at 5'7" but I felt that it was a good compromise between blocking just enough but not too much and staying out of the way.  Relatively inexpensive and very easy to install, uninstall.  Got the clear version and I don't even notice its there - even off-roading.  I didn't want something that mounted via my handlebars as real estate can be at a premium there.  At first I thought - hey that really ain't big enough but it does make a huge difference lessening the wind burden at 60mph+  I still duck down often on the interstate but don't feel compelled to do so - as is the case sans-windscreen.

Overall it fits the philosophy of the WR250R - just enough of what ya need and nothing to get in the way of the experience.
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

Electrojake

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyWed May 28, 2014 10:39 pm

Windscreen?
I use a Madstad unit on my 2014 WRR. It's VERY adjustable.
The newer version of this now uses all stainless steel brackets and removes from the bike quicker if needed for off-road use.

Here is the link in case the image below doesn't connect you- http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.678/.f

Which Windshield? Media

-Ej-
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyThu May 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Glad to hear good things about the Cee Bailey. I like the minimalist approach of that one and the Screens for Bikes.

I forgot Madstad had a system for the WR. Looks like it uses the TCI brackets and their own parts on top of that. I had one on my Versys and I liked it a lot. It is just so expensive!
Back to top Go down
wjfawb0

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyThu May 29, 2014 4:27 pm

Here's a picture of the spitfire on my 08 WR250R:

Which Windshield? 2010_6_10_holston_2
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

Electrojake

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyThu May 29, 2014 5:04 pm

Since this is a "windshield thread" I'd like to hijack it a little with a slightly different windshield question.
Here goes...

I occasionally use the WRR (it's actually my Son's WRR) to commute.
I have notice that once I hit about 70 MPH with the Madstad windshield on the bike, it starts pushing the front end around.
I'm not fond of setting up a tank-slapper at full tilt so, How do I cure that high speed shimmy & wandering problem?
Also, understand that if I take the windshield off the bike, everything is fine at any speed.

As info, I have an over-sized (23") Cee Baily on my DL1000 and its rock solid at ANY speed, so what's the deal with the WRR?

Advice, suggestions, anybody?  :hmmm: 
Thanks,
-Ej-
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyThu May 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Electrojake wrote:
Since this is a "windshield thread" I'd like to hijack it a little with a slightly different windshield question.
Here goes...

I have notice that once I hit about 70 MPH with the Madstad windshield on the bike, it starts pushing the front end around.
I'm not fond of setting up a tank-slapper at full tilt so, How do I cure that high speed shimmy & wandering problem?
Also, understand that if I take the windshield off the bike, everything is fine at any speed.

As info, I have an over-sized (23") Cee Baily on my DL1000 and its rock solid at ANY speed, so what's the deal with the WRR?

Advice, suggestions, anybody?  :hmmm: 
Thanks,
-Ej-

I suspect part of the difference between your V and the WRR is in the weight and the mounting of the windshield.  On your V the windshield is mounted to the frame of the bike and not the forks or triple clamps.  Any loads are directly transmitted to the frame and not the steering member to the frame.

On the WRR the windshield is basically mounted to the forks.  All of the loads from the windshield go through the forks and the steering system before the frame.  

That and the lighter bike means you feel the impact of the aerodynamic loads more on the WRR.

About the only thing I would suggest for the WRR is to mount a steering damper to help dissipate some loads back through the bars.  This would make a tank slapper less likely but I doubt if you would ever get it to feel the same as your Vee.

Last edited by rsteiger on Fri May 30, 2014 7:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

Electrojake

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyThu May 29, 2014 11:54 pm

rsteiger,
All good points. I was just wondering if there was a trick to running a big screen on a little bike, (since I'm new at this little bike on the highway stuff).
I really shouldn't complain since the WR is quite stable with the windscreen on the bike (until I start getting up to speeds it was really not intended to cruise at anyway).

Installing a Scotts steering stabilizer would be a smart addition but geeez that puppy is expensive.
Seems I have a lot to read & learn yet about keeping a light bike well planted at highway speeds.
Thanks for the good info on this. thumb 
-Ej-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678247
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyFri May 30, 2014 7:57 am

Electrojake wrote:
rsteiger,
Installing a Scotts steering stabilizer would be a smart addition but geeez that puppy is expensive.

I never had a steering stabilizer on my bikes till I put one on my WRR before hitting some of that sugar sand they have in south GA and FL. I had ridden that before on the WRR and I would just feel so beat up after a day of riding. I finally got the pennies together and put one on when I went to my HDB setup. What a nice difference!

So much of a difference I ordered one for my Beta 520 RR.

Some people don't care for them and I was one of those but now I am sold on it.
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

Electrojake

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyFri May 30, 2014 11:17 pm

rsteiger wrote:

I'm heading off-topic here but. . .
A Beta? That's an Italian 2-stroke dirt bike? :hmmm: ?
Interesting choice.
Obtaining repair parts must be an adventure, eh?

Either way, Cool machine! I just checked em' out here... https://youtu.be/-HXAKubzi7w
Way out of my league, but very nice.

Last edited by Electrojake on Fri May 30, 2014 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Youtube link.)
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyFri May 30, 2014 11:57 pm

Electrojake wrote:
rsteiger wrote:

I'm heading off-topic here but. . .
A Beta? That's an Italian 2-stroke dirt bike? :hmmm: ?
Interesting choice.
Obtaining repair parts must be an adventure, eh?

Either way, Cool machine! I just checked em' out here... https://youtu.be/-HXAKubzi7w
Way out of my league, but very nice.

I have a 520 RR (4 stroke) which was demo model for their 2011 520 RS Dual Sport bike. Parts aren't too bad but it still is not like getting parts for a WR205R. I have it set up for a Adventure play bike.
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 2:01 pm

I just ordered the Screens For Bike windshield in solid white. On the long boat from Australia now.
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

Electrojake

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 7:45 pm

camaroz1985 wrote:
I just ordered the Screens For Bike windshield in solid white.  On the long boat from Australia now.

Nice!
Take a few pics of the install and let us know how it works out.
-Ej-
Back to top Go down
bassandgrass

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 pm

I am also interested in the "screens for bikes". Looking forward to some pics and your impressions.
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 3:48 pm

Got it a couple weeks ago but was moving, and out of town for a while. Looks great, but haven't gotten it installed yet. Will try to get it on this weekend, and some riding impressions shortly.
Back to top Go down
Electrojake

Electrojake

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 5:11 pm

camaroz1985 wrote:
Got it a couple weeks ago but was moving, and out of town for a while.  Looks great, but haven't gotten it installed yet.  Will try to get it on this weekend, and some riding impressions shortly.

Looking forward to your comments. cheers 
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Back to top Go down
Electrojake

Electrojake

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 5:37 pm

camaroz1985 wrote:
Here is my review.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t10771-screens-for-bikes-windshield-review

camaroz1985, that was a great windscreen review!
Unlike my MadStad screen, the Australian unit you bought blends in beautifully with the WR/R.

Also noted your hi-viz helmet & crash gear, tail box, and electronics gadgets mounted on the bars.
I too travel bright, protected, tools, survival gear, gadgets, etc...
Nice!
Thanks again for an outstanding windshield review thumb 
-Ej-

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t10771-screens-for-bikes-windshield-review
Back to top Go down
Rushblur

Rushblur

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyMon May 18, 2015 8:38 am

Electrojake wrote:

Thanks,
-Ej-

I had some front end stablility issues and tried a million different things (Tires, Wheels, Dyna Beads, Stearing Stem and Wheel Bearings, Windshield, Frame Geometry, Ride Height, Brakes)  - it turned out my rear wheel was slightly out of alignment.  The wonkey stock axle blocks are downright lousy for measuring distance.  GYTR are worth the money and even then I'm careful to match up the length of the screw adjusters with a caliper to get it just right.
Back to top Go down
Janet from Joisey

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 pm

I like this one ($89.95 US).  It's going on soon...

http://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/yamaha_wr250_450.html

Which Windshield? P1050053-XL
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 9:25 pm

I have that one, cuts down some of the wind hitting your chest, works good, I dont do much highway time though. As little as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which Windshield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Windshield?   Which Windshield? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which Windshield?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next