Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tire Bead Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Zoltan

Zoltan

Tire Bead Question Empty
PostSubject: Tire Bead Question   Tire Bead Question EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi there. I bought some Michelin tires; Michelin AC-10 Tire Combo. My friend advised me to buy bead locks as well. I looked at my stock wheels and I don't see a spot for the bead lock. Do I need a beadlock or fabricate a hole for it? I will be doing 90% 10% trail riding.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
speersie

speersie

Tire Bead Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Bead Question   Tire Bead Question EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 4:40 am

Zoltan wrote:
Hi there.  I bought some Michelin tires; Michelin AC-10 Tire Combo.   My friend advised me to buy bead locks as well.  I looked at my stock wheels and I don't see a spot for the bead lock.   Do I need a beadlock or fabricate a hole for it?  I will be doing 90% 10% trail riding.

Thanks

I have a new WR250R and the stock rims have a black blanking plug on the rims both front and back for rim locks. I am guessing they are the same thing as bead locks just referred to differently by different people. I think from memory they are opposite the valve.
Back to top Go down
DutchTerror

Tire Bead Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Bead Question   Tire Bead Question EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 10:32 am

Skip the bead locks.  Yamaha didn't see a need for them, and if you're only riding limited trail, you'll probably never need them.  I'm running the AC-10's as well.  I've been very happy with them so far.

Tire Bead Question DSC00104
Back to top Go down

Tire Bead Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Bead Question   Tire Bead Question EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 1:40 pm

My WR250R had holes in the rim for bead locks, and I installed Motion Pro lightweight bead locks plus some spoke weights to balance them out. I run 6 to 10 psi for trails and feel like I need them - front just as much as back. On some previous bikes I ran 15 to 20 psi and didn't use bead locks with no issues.

My daughter has a CRF150F. It has a back bead lock but not a front. The front tire has slipped on the rim. She might have ridden the bike with close to zero air, not being familiar with bike maintenance.

But that is another reason for bead locks. If you get a flat, the tire might stay on the rim for a couple extra miles. I've ridden flats for a long way with rim locks!
Back to top Go down
Zoltan

Zoltan

Tire Bead Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Bead Question   Tire Bead Question EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 9:00 pm

dhally wrote:
My WR250R had holes in the rim for bead locks, and I installed Motion Pro lightweight bead locks plus some spoke weights to balance them out.  I run 6 to 10 psi for trails and feel like I need them - front just as much as back.  On some previous bikes I ran 15 to 20 psi and didn't use bead locks with no issues.

My daughter has a CRF150F.  It has a back bead lock but not a front.  The front tire has slipped on the rim.  She might have ridden the bike with close to zero air, not being familiar with bike maintenance.

But that is another reason for bead locks.  If you get a flat, the tire might stay on the rim for a couple extra miles.  I've ridden flats for a long way with rim locks!

Thanks...
Back to top Go down
Zoltan

Zoltan

Tire Bead Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Bead Question   Tire Bead Question EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 9:03 pm

DutchTerror wrote:
Skip the bead locks.  Yamaha didn't see a need for them, and if you're only riding limited trail, you'll probably never need them.  I'm running the AC-10's as well.  I've been very happy with them so far.

Tire Bead Question DSC00104

Thanks man. Since I bought them, I may install it in the hole that some on here have mentioned. However, I will not go crazy trying to make them fit. If it doesn't, I'll just return them. I'm looking forward to my new tires. I need some nobs for trail riding.

Zoltan
Back to top Go down
Zoltan

Zoltan

Tire Bead Question Empty
PostSubject: Motion Pro Bead Locks   Tire Bead Question EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 10:03 pm

So I was able to install the Motion Pro bead locks without any problems.  The front is a 1.6 and the rear is 2.15.  So far so good.  I took it out for a spin with my new AC-10s and they are definitely an improvement. The tires are great! I would highly recommend them

Tire Bead Question Wr250t11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tire Bead Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Bead Question   Tire Bead Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Tire Bead Question
Page 1 of 1