Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What would make you sell your X?

Go down 
+14
PonchoV
skierd
12oclocker
28marcb
sswrx
rokka
Bishop
SpiritWolf15
SheWolf
marty
1moreroad
ZED
INSTIGATOR
motokid
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

What would make you sell your X? Empty
PostSubject: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 8:33 pm

What would make you sell your current X?

A 450cc version?
A 600cc version?

Major redesign?
Mag wheels?
Somebody offering you the "right" price? What would that be? (within reason)

Nothing. I'll never want or need another motorcycle. Not ever.

Something else?

A straight-up trade for some other motorcycle of your dreams?

How devoted are you to the little 250?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
INSTIGATOR

INSTIGATOR

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 9:37 pm

WRFoFiddyX.... What would make you sell your X? 942737

I'm not impressed with all the other B.S you go thru with all the other sumos.
My brother has a KTM 450, only had a few months,here's his repairs so far:

leaking front brake
leaking rear brake
muffler packing
had to buy a rad fan (it would overheat at stop lights). Why wouldn't the factory install one a street legal bike???
leaking clutch cover
I lost track,but I think he changes oil every 300-500 miles,it also has 3 oil filters
did a valve check

All this with less than 2k miles..... What would make you sell your X? 9356
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 12:34 am

Even if they came out with a 450x with the same sort of service requirements as the 250x I wouldn't likely swap. The 450 would likely be significantly heavier. Maybe I would get a 450 to compliment the 250, but I have this habit of collecting wheeled conveyances and not actually getting rid of the old ones.
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 11:36 am

More freeway commuting or a return to touring. This big is great in town and great out on local roads, but it would be scary if I had to regularly commute on a 70 mph interstate, never mind the frustration of the teeny tank range.

My son is getting older, so the touring thing probably won't happen for another 10 years. What little touring I'll do will be adapted to a bike that doesn't happily cruise at 80 - 90 mph.

For as long as I live here in a small town with lots of chip seal and gravel roads around me, I'll ride it and enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 12:46 pm

probably a 450. i made the mistake of test riding a ktm 690smc and now feel that the wr is a bit of a turd for straight-line stuff :P
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 9:34 pm

eeek Oh THAT's real fair comparison... Very happy

motokid

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Never said anything about "fair".

I rode with two KTM's this past Saturday.

The power difference is very "attractive".

A 450cc version of what we have now in the 250x would be awfully difficult to pass up.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 10:26 pm

Kinda like a naked hot chick sprawled across the seat of your bike...? wink

motokid

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 7:09 am

Yeah.....pick a word. Appealing attractive enticing exciting inviting.....

I can easily imagine 20-ish more horsepower, very little additional weight, and basically the rest being the same.
Now that's woody time.... What would make you sell your X? 810411

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 10:08 am

I think we've found a new description for big bore... poser2

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 11:42 am

If they brought over the new XT660 I'd go for it over the WR , if keeping in the below 400 weight class for insurance, I'd say maybe a 350 or 400cc version of the WR? Decently priced and yellow? wink
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 3:38 pm

you could always buy that turbo kit dude on TT is selling... although i'd be hesitant to do any offroading with it. :P
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 3:45 pm

Nah....it's not the same.

I want a stock 450cc Supermoto from Yamaha with 50-ish horsepower.
No more than 350 pounds wet.
Maintenance intervals like the wr250x.

In black & yellow would be perfect.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 5:17 pm

motokid wrote:
Nah....it's not the same.

I want a stock 450cc Supermoto from Yamaha with 50-ish horsepower.
No more than 350 pounds wet.
Maintenance intervals like the wr250x.

In black & yellow would be perfect.

That would be great, but it doesn't exist. You could spend a lot of money upgrading a DRZ400 but you won't quite get the handling, the 50 hp or the maintenance interval. You could spend $9k on a KaTooM -- you can get the hp but you won't get the maintenance interval.

The WR450F with a slip on makes about 49 hp per TT. It doesn't have the X maintenance intervals.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 6:56 pm

It might not exist today, but there's no reason it couldn't exist at some point in the near future.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Bishop

Bishop

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:14 am

INSTIGATOR wrote:
WRFoFiddyX.... What would make you sell your X? 942737

I'm not impressed with all the other B.S you go thru with all the other sumos.
My brother has a KTM 450, only had a few months,here's his repairs so far:

leaking front brake
leaking rear brake
muffler packing
had to buy a rad fan (it would overheat at stop lights). Why wouldn't the factory install one a street legal bike???
leaking clutch cover
I lost track,but I think he changes oil every 300-500 miles,it also has 3 oil filters
did a valve check

All this with less than 2k miles..... What would make you sell your X? 9356
Really interesting!!
The 450 EXC or SMR models never ever were street legal over here in europe or at least in austria,so its interesting that you can get them on the streets over at north america??
These bikes are made for racing and not for the streets so to save weight they never installed an radiator fan.Also the street legal versions of the older 620 SC,625 SC or the first 625 SMC and 660 SMC never had cooling fans.The oil capacity is really on the limit also to save weight and i for sure would never use such an 450 for street action.The later 625+660 SMC (2004)had more oil and the cooling fans for the radiators.The leaking brakes are unusual??
Now as an Austrian i was a KTM fan and always wanted to buy one.
I did not because the 690 SMC is much to expensive it costs almost 10000 Euros and it is for sure not worth it.Also i think that the frame concept is really old even when they have changed it for the 690 SM and SMC.Its heavier then teh Husaberg and Husqvarnas.
So when you look at your WRR or WRX its just awesome how great this bike is!
I would never sell mine because of an other model for sure
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 8:16 am

Would you trade your X for a brand new 2010 X? Even trade? No money?
What if you could transfer all your mods to the new 2010 model? Would you trade?

Can you see any case where you'd trade your X for any Suzuki DRZ400SM?

What if somebody offered you a 2010 Husky SM 610?

What about a 2010 KTM 690 SMC?

Straight up trade? No cash involved?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 9:56 am

EDIT: I re-read your posts. You want a $9,000 or $10,000 bike with maintenance simplicity not available today for $6,000. Second guessing, I'd say you're wishing you had bought such a bike. Like you, I looked at the KaTooMs and the DRZ400SM and I wound up with the WR. The KTMs' and DRZ's prices were too high. I wanted a simple bike, not a high maintenance supermodel.

motokid wrote:
It might not exist today, but there's no reason it couldn't exist at some point in the near future.

Yeah, there is. At least the near future. You're asking for a high strung engine with high compression, aggressive cams, etc., etc. but you want low maintenance intervals. You also want it light, so items adding weight like hydraulic valves are out. And you want all the R&D necessary to design that bike to be paid for how?

The DRZ400 is probably a good benchmark. It makes about 30 hp stock. A more modern version with a 450 cc engine might make 35 hp (optimistically considering new emissions rules) and with $1000 in aftermarket add-ons 40 to 45 hp. The DRZ400 in present form -- one that most netizens thinks doesn't handle as well as the WR -- costs about $700 more than the WR, at least around here. So add $1000 on the WR price for the modern one and another $1000 for aftermarket hardware and you're still 10% shy of the your hp goal.

I enjoy bench engineering as much as anyone, but you're asking for vaporware.

To get an understanding of what you're asking for, look at the new Ducati coming to the US:
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/23september09_ducati2010hypermotard796.htm

It's an 800 cc air cooled engine making 60 hp. Bike weight is 368 pounds. By the specs, it's basically what you are asking for but: (a) it has higher maintenance intervals than our WRs and (b) it will cost almost $10,000. Take a look at bike costs these days and the Euro and American brands aren't asking much of a price premium compared to Japanese brands.

You might be right -- by the time I might be ready to sell the X in 10 years they might have the WR450X. I kept my previous ZX6R for 7 years and 70,000+ miles, so that will be about the time I might be looking. Of course, by then it really will cost $10,000. The WR450F is already $1000 more than the WR250X, and it's not street legal.

Quote :
Really interesting!!
The 450 EXC or SMR models never ever were street legal over here in europe or at least in austria,so its interesting that you can get them on the streets over at north america??

KTMs and Huskys were offered street legal to ride into town for gas or connect off-road trails with short street gaps. They were never intended to be ridden down the highway for hours (for all the reasons you gave).

Quote :
Would you trade your X for a brand new 2010 X? Even trade? No money?

What would make you sell your X? Icon_scratch If someone offered me a brand new identical bike with zero miles in trade for my bike would I take it? Of course. They're the same bike. Why would someone ever do that? The bike for sale was probably stolen.

You seem to be fishing for a particular answer. What answer are you looking for? Are you having buyer's remorse for buying a 250? Are you watching DRZs hit 100 mph and pull away from you?

Quote :
Can you see any case where you'd trade your X for any Suzuki DRZ400SM?

I went the opposite direction. I originally wanted the DRZ-SM, but it cost $700 more. Used ones around here were nowhere to be found. So I ended up with the X. I rode two DRZ-Ss, one stock and the other modified for off-road and the X is definitely handled better than either of them. The speed was sufficient for where I ride.

Quote :
What about a 2010 KTM 690 SMC?

If someone made you that deal, I would suspect something illegal. It's too good to be true. Someone offering you a $10,500 motorcycle (09 MSRP) in even trade for your $6000 (08 MSRP) or $6500 (09 MSRP) motorcycle?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 10:52 am

Dude....you're taking this way to seriously.

I promise I won't take you to court and quote your answers should anything "serious" ever become of this thread. What would make you sell your X? 613970

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 11:41 am

motokid wrote:
Dude....you're taking this way to seriously.

I promise I won't take you to court and quote your answers should anything "serious" ever become of this thread. What would make you sell your X? 613970

What would make you sell your X? Lol It's all good. Just trying to figure out what you're really asking.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 11:53 am

Make it as simple or as complex as you like.

Under what circumstance would you trade, sell, or get rid of your X?

I know some people get emotionally attached to their rides. Others do not.

Just wondering where the X owners sit.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Bishop

Bishop

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 12:18 pm

You do not give up asking motokid What would make you sell your X? 93746
I´´m telling you why i did buy the WRX and nothing else.
Over here in austria all you can get on legal Supermotos are over 450cc.
Its starts with the Husqvarna 450SMR.It costs 9399 Euros.The 510 SMR costs 9599 Euros.
They both have fuel injection but they are not really daily drivers.
You do not get these bikes in the open version so you have to risk being caught by the police when you get them to full HP with an loud exhaust.Yes the traffic right and the police are very draconic over here What would make you sell your X? 342500
The SM 610 is not looking good at all and i hate the exhaust on it.You do not have a chance against an KTM 690 SMC with that thing.
This brings me to KTM.
We have the normal SM 690 which really looks ugly What would make you sell your X? 490865
You have the 690 SMC for 10000 Euros with the old Ducati style frame.I liked the old 625 and 660 SMC much more then this thing and not many of the 690 SM or SMC have been sold over here in the last years.

Of course you still have Husaberg and Aprillia but these bikes are not really for street use at all and you get the SVX 450 and 550 with 15hp legal to buy for road use just ridiculous to buy such a thing for beyond 11000 euros.

The Suzuki DR400SM that has been mentioned here many times is no longer available in europe since 2 years because of emission controls and the fact that it still used a carburator instead of the fuel injection to get emissions down.

Kawasaki and Honda do not sell stock Supermotos anymore and thats not bad becasue the Honda FMX 650 still used the old XR/XL RFVC engine with no power at all.

So i got interested in the Yamaha WR 250 X because it looks good it has great technical features and it lasts longer then an WR 450 F in street use.It costs 7700 Euros (2009) and my 2008 did cost 6899 Euros.For example the WR450F costs 12099 Euros and the WR250F costs 11699 Euros.
And what is most impressive i have 4 years warranty from Yamaha Austria for the bike.
Nobody can beat that here on the austrian bike market,and because i use the WR on the streets of vienna the 31hp are more then i need to be fast in the traffic What would make you sell your X? 942737
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 1:46 pm

if the technology in our r/x motors were used to make a 450, it would make pretty close to 50hp and should have service intervals not terribly different from the current r/x. so who knows, maybe someday yamaha will build one.
Back to top Go down
rokka

rokka

PostSubject: 5 years warranty   What would make you sell your X? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Quote :
And what is most impressive i have 4 years warranty from Yamaha Austria for the bike.
Nobody can beat that here on the austrian bike market,and because i use the WR on the streets of vienna the 31hp are more then i need to be fast in the traffic What would make you sell your X? 942737

In Sweden Yamaha WRR/X has 5 year warranty witch is really a sign of high quality.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:25 pm

31 horsepower? Do yo have a Dyno sheet to prove that?

What mods have you made? You don't have a 100% stock X do you?

Quote :
27 rear-wheel horsepower
<-- Reported in Cycle World magazine

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would make you sell your X?   What would make you sell your X? Empty

Back to top Go down

What would make you sell your X?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next