Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Intent to Recall - overheating stator

Go down 
+40
Jens Eskildsen
Ziabeam
dmmcd
Zodiac1
LasVegasWR
dogfarm
wwguy
yaw
camaroz1985
grw800
alansz400
sbend
chabon
saddletramp
wrwiley
Handz
timzim
MADDOGGIE501
ezrdr55
f3joel
gordo
GlibGuy
jorgo
Serp
lank
Fiftygrit
blusmoke
sturgeon
rarepartbuilder
Biglake
sprocket
66T
wankle
IslandADV
WRXZ
alexWR
speersie
rsteiger
Evol
JS5Owner
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Biglake

Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 11:05 am

I received a letter from Yamaha last week for the recall too.

I went to the dealer the next day and got the stator on order, I was the forth person to do so that day.

Its pretty easy for me to drop the bike off to them and pick it up the next day on my way to and from work so I will when the parts show up.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 11:56 am

I thought the "new" bikes might be ok... but my local dealer said that they have stators on order for two 2015 models still in the crate. I can do the swap.. but have other things higher on my priority list during the short summer season here... .. i'll take time to give the bike a good cleaning so hopefully any crap won't drop into the engine when they pop the side off.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 10:18 am

I've had my recall letter for a week (in Canada), just too busy to do anything about it right now, but plan to call the dealer next week.

You guys should be thankful it's not an F800GS. I have one of those too, and they seem to have the same problem, at least the older ones. I know several people who've had to change their own, on their own dime. BMW has not issued a recall, nor do they seem inclined to do so. It's an expensive job. At some point (maybe 2012?) BMW replaced the rotor with one with bigger holes in it, presumably to aid with cooling. I love the F800, but at this point, I'm considering whether to just trade it for something else.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Got my new stator, and made the swap myself.

Heres some pictures.

Bike on its side, and all the tools:
Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 120150716192953

Old stator, looks pretty fine:
Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 220150716193003

Flywheel:
Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 320150716193048

Old vs new, the new looks brighter in color:
Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 420150716193115

Old stator, looks slightly burn on the single wires around the egdes:
Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 520150716193138

New stator, looks kinda poorly made with the excess epoxy:
Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 620150716193208

One of the sidecover bolts have a copperwasher, dont know why:
Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 720150716193235

It took less than an hour, 4 bolts for the skidplate, 3 bolts for the casesaver, 2 bolts for the black piece of plastic in front of the catch tank. Then the sidecover, and 5 bolts for the stator and pickup.
I was able to unplug the connectors, without removing seat, sidepanel and gastank.

Turned the bike on, and saw 14,45v at idle, good to go. (Sorry, didnt meassure it before, but never had problems)

The kit from Yamaha includes:

Stator with pickup
Copperwasher for the drainplug (didnt need it)
New gasket
New bolts for stator and pickup (remember threadlocker)
Misc cableties

It didnt include a new copperwasher for the one bolt in the stator/side-cover.

The old stator looked fine, I wouldnt have giving it any though if this was pulled from another bike. Upon close inspection, the stator looked ever so slightly burnt around the egdes, and the copperstrings seems darker than the new one.

I need to bring the old stator back to the Yamaha-shop.

The bike has just over 10.000km, with a lot of enduroriding, with the fan switching on and off.
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 3:58 am

jens, your gasket looks so nice and not torn up do you have any tips? what year is yours?
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 6:28 am

does anyone know if the dealer{s}are putting new engine oil after the stator swap? I noticed that Jens said their was a new copper washer for the drain plug...
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 11:29 am

blusmoke wrote:
jens, your gasket looks so nice and not torn up do you have any tips? what year is yours?

It came pretty clean of, used a knife for where it was stuck.

rarepartbuilder wrote:
does anyone know if the dealer{s}are putting new engine oil after the stator swap? I noticed that Jens said their was a new copper washer for the drain plug...

Dont think thats included, I just tilted my bike over a bit, and didnt bother to change the oil as it was fresh. So I got an original yamaha copperwasher for free, yay... wings
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 2:34 pm

Stator came in, took the bike over to the dealer, 1/2 block from my house, new stator, oil and filter 1/2 hour and it was done, no charge, cant get any easier than that. the old one did look a little burned compared to the new one, all good.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 5:44 pm

same here with the dealer oil change..timing was great as i had bought oil filters to do an oil change just prior to the recall . Thanks to Jens post/menson of the oil plug crush washer i held off to get a freebee lube job thumb
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 3:15 am

Not meaning to be harsh, but not changing the oil after working on the motor? It's <1.5L of oil! I dumped mine, changed the stator, re-filled with new oil and ran it for 20km, then changed both oil and filter. Sometimes, from my experience, crud can sneak into the motor, no matter how careful you are. Even if it's a piece of gasket, or dirt trapped behind a bolt. It's also why I rarely lean a bike away from me to work on it. Crud falls in, tough to get out.

Just my 2c, for what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 10:50 am

Yup cheap insurance changing the oil and filter, 1.3L for mine, filter $7 bucks and I buy 4.5L of oil for $12 bucks I change both about every 1000 KM, I know its over kill but those little motors work there ass off, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
lank

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 11:14 am

I use Amsoil 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil and the oil only has around 100 km on it. I will need to talk to the service guy and see if they will replace it.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 4:41 pm

66T wrote:
Not meaning to be harsh, but not changing the oil after working on the motor? It's <1.5L of oil! I dumped mine, changed the stator, re-filled with new oil and ran it for 20km, then changed both oil and filter. Sometimes, from my experience, crud can sneak into the motor, no matter how careful you are. Even if it's a piece of gasket, or dirt trapped behind a bolt. It's also why I rarely lean a bike away from me to work on it. Crud falls in, tough to get out.

Just my 2c, for what it's worth.

I dont know if that was to me.... But here goes...

You say you rarele lean the bike away to work on, me too....So whats the problem?

I dont mean to be harsh either....But I'll make sure to tell my xt600 with 156.000km on it to go blow up, I did the same with that one a couple of times, theres really nothing to it... Shog  That makes 3 times I've leaned a "open" bike over to work on it, thats pretty rare at 150.000km of riding bikes in my book...

I guess I just have more confidence in myself and my work, so I dont need to throw away good oil, poor on some new oil, and throw that away after 20km. But on the behalf of my unborn children, let me thank you for the xtra 3 liters of used oil we now have to recycle.... Very happy

Each to his own I guess... thumb

Just trying to help here, showing the differences between the stators, and how easy the swap is so others can follow. I bet they will change the oil if they feel its a concern for them. But I dont think many will change the stator with the bike on the sidestand anyways, its way easier to work on when you can see everything. Easy means less mistakes for me.

So I guess it just would be nice with a bit more credit, but feel free to post your guide "the right way" so even more can benefit cheers

General thoughts:

Funny how some people brag about how often they change oil, and then they use some of the cheapest oil they can find... Doesnt make sence. I dont go 6000km on mine, as I seem to use it a bit outside of what Mr. Yamaha intended, but I sure as hell dont change it at 1000km. Heck my friends on their orange racebikes go over 1000km on oil.

But yeah, were all different, and thats a good thing.

Good day folks... thumb
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 8:35 pm

While I do understand, and to a point agree with, 66T's point, I also agree (more so) with Jens' point of enjoying a free oil change and not wasting it.
FWIW, I change my oil once a year, but I use Motul 7100 100% synthetic.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 9:50 pm

As I said, just my 2c, for what it's worth. It was only my opinion, and didn't warrant that tirade imo. But it is an opinion based on my experience, as I clearly stated. Yours is different, which is good. Whatever works for you, and anyone else.

It's all fine, you are well entitled to your say, as I am. We will have to agree to disagree.

Bottom line? Let's hope the new stators fix the issue. Obviously it will be a while before we really know, but good for Yamaha in that they have upgraded the part.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 8:59 am

Agree thumb

Mine has spent its first 4-5 years as a dedicated endurobike by the PO, so I was really surprised to see the stator in such good state.

I've run it in sand with the fan coming on/off, but have never seen the temp warning light.
Back to top Go down
lank

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 9:16 am

lank wrote:
I use Amsoil 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil and the oil only has around 100 km on it. I will need to talk to the service guy and see if they will replace it.
I called Yamaha Canada and they will not put synthetic oil back in the bike after the recall is done. I don't drive the bike much and just spent $50.00 on my oil and filter. (in Canada the price is higher for the filter and oil) The bike is a 2008 and it only has 4700km. I will wait and have the recall done next year when the bike needs the oil changed again. (I just switch to synthetic because I like to ride the bike when it is cold outside under 20C down to 10C) The bike does not get much use in the heat of the summer.
Back to top Go down
alexWR

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Well my dealer is useless, rang and apparently ordered the part over a week ago and no phone call back.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Alex my part took almost 2 weeks they are backed up since the recall, once they get it only takes 1/2 hour to do the job, pretty easy.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 3:02 pm

My parts were ordered 3 weeks ago....Be patient, the recall hit and a lot of owners are waiting for parts.
Back to top Go down
alexWR

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 5:15 pm

this is the second time i've had to call though (when they actually told me this time they were ordering parts). the other occasion they didn't get back to me (when recall was first announced in oz).

service department isn't very good unfortunately only dealer around me ~45min drive away.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 11:23 pm

On the face of it, that's pretty rubbish if the parts are in stock. Most Yam dealers here in Adelaide or other capital cities get stuff overnight from Yamaha Australia. Regional areas probably a day or two more, I'd say.
Back to top Go down
Serp

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 11:58 pm

I called the dealer 2 weeks ago, the service manager checked the VIN and said mine is listed in the recall. He got a stator in and I had it replaced today.

The service from them was great so I'll be happy to go back if I need to.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 6:24 am

I have to say my dealer was fast. It was only a couple of days, and the stator was in for me to exchange.

Which doesn't help alexWR much. Sorry mate, not meaning to rub your face in it. Just pointing out that some shops are onto it, and having a go.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Well it's been 3.5 weeks and I stopped by my local dealer today to see what's up. They've got my parts.... budah
When were they going to call me? Anyhow, it'll be done on Friday. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Intent to Recall - overheating stator
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next