Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Intent to Recall - overheating stator

Go down 
+40
Jens Eskildsen
Ziabeam
dmmcd
Zodiac1
LasVegasWR
dogfarm
wwguy
yaw
camaroz1985
grw800
alansz400
sbend
chabon
saddletramp
wrwiley
Handz
timzim
MADDOGGIE501
ezrdr55
f3joel
gordo
GlibGuy
jorgo
Serp
lank
Fiftygrit
blusmoke
sturgeon
rarepartbuilder
Biglake
sprocket
66T
wankle
IslandADV
WRXZ
alexWR
speersie
rsteiger
Evol
JS5Owner
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Handz

Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 7:29 pm

chabon wrote:
Handz wrote:
chabon wrote:
Handz wrote:
chabon wrote:
So my manufacture date is 04/08 and I am on the recall. Not sure why Yamaha says starting in 06/08. My VIN sequence number is in the 00060's so very early production run. Can't wait to see what it looks like, 27000 miles and a lot of desert/hot riding.

My build day is the earliest WR250X I have seen. 12/07. Mine was also up for recall.

Wow, do you know the sequence number on your VIN? Maybe you have bike #1!!!

What numbers would you like me to post? I have my vin with me, but I dont wanna post the entire vin?

Just the last 3 or 4 show the sequential build number, you can change it a number or two to keep more anonymous. but I suspect it is under 30.

The last 6 digits in my vin is 000276. Does that mean my bike is #276 built?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 10:03 pm

Handz wrote:

The last 6 digits in my vin is 000276. Does that mean my bike is #276 built?

Well at least the 276th scheduled to be built...

Sometimes things happen and the units are not built in their scheduled sequence... at least in the auto industry it is that way.. motorcycles may not be as complex.
Back to top Go down
sbend

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 11:07 am

gordo wrote:
lank wrote:
lank wrote:
I use Amsoil 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil and the oil only has around 100 km on it. I will need to talk to the service guy and see if they will replace it.
I called Yamaha Canada and they will not put synthetic oil back in the bike after the recall is done. I don't drive the bike much and just spent $50.00  on my oil and filter. (in Canada the price is higher for the filter and oil) The bike is a 2008 and it only has 4700km. I will wait and have the recall done next year when the bike needs the oil changed again. (I just switch to synthetic because I like to ride the bike when it is cold outside under 20C down to 10C) The bike does not get much use in the heat of the summer.

I had the stator recall done a week ago: I use Amsoil 10W40 and gave them 1.5 quarts to replace as they said they would put in 10W40 yamalube conventional, no problem. A big note on the work order at the stealership that they can use the oil I've provided......picked the bike up and they didn't use the oil I'd brought, still sitting in the fender bag. The oil window was already looking dirty, asked what type of oil they used, long wait, 'something 10W40'.............I bet my right nut the mechanic just dumped the drain pan back in......I said it sure looks a little dark for new oil, even with no filter change (I'd changed it recently). He told me some oils look dark even out of the container............... Can't prove anything, took my bike home changed it to the Amsoil 10W40. I asked them for a new crush washer. Don't like the place, but it's just so close to my house.

Learn from my mistakes, a mechanic you trust is priceless.

Just got off the phone with Yamaha Canada and they said draining the oil and then putting in back in is an acceptable practice.  Thanks for the heads up, because it is not an acceptable practice to me.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 11:43 am

My 2 cents.

Every single WRR or WRX ever built gets the recall including the 2015s, if the dealer tells you different contact Yamaha.
Back to top Go down
chabon

chabon

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Just got scheduled. First dealer said I had to leave bike there or they wouldn't order kit. One week or so. Called Yamaha and they said the policy is up to individual dealer.

Called other Dealer (1 mile further the other direction) and they said no problem, would order part today and I can drop by next week and wait while they install it. Guess who gets my business.
Back to top Go down
alansz400

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 9:30 pm

Got both my 08 WRs done last week at Hales in Mansfeild ohio. Oil changed in both. Had to leave then over night.
WRR is the one on the left with 25K WRX with 16K on the right.
Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 IMG_20150828_161731722_zpst5owljdn
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 10:03 pm

I missed this thread altogether until now, but here's my stator saga if anyone's interested:

Short version--my stator failed back in March, and I replaced it myself in May. My recall letter was dated July 30. Yamaha is not reimbursing me.

Long version--https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t11554-another-fried-stator
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 4:30 pm

Mine is going under the knife tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 4:36 pm

grw800 wrote:
Short version--my stator failed back in March, and I replaced it myself in May. My recall letter was dated July 30. Yamaha is not reimbursing me.

That's shitty....
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 2:54 pm

Had to replace my stator in 2013. I just had the dealer replace that stator under the recall. I'm hoping Yamaha will reimburse me for the stator I replaced. Does anyone know if a manufacturer is responsible for the part failing on you? Obviously this had to happen to a number of bikes for them to require a recall. This issue must have precedent in law. Anyone?
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 3:12 pm

Was able to find the answer to my own question. According to Kelly Blue Book, the manufacturer is under no obligation to pay for a defective part even if it is later recalled. So I'm outta luck.

My bike has just under 30,000 miles. It has had to have the engine rebuilt twice (3,000 miles apart) to replace a bad main bearing. I'm only about 1,000 miles into the second rebuild. Note to others, don't use Hot Rod bearings (my mechanics call). They gave me a replacement bearing but of course offered no financial assistance for the second rebuild. Lesson learned - stick with OEM.
Back to top Go down
Zodiac1

Zodiac1

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Still need to get this done...... Been too busy working and then riding on the weekends. How long is this stator going to last?, new 2015 WRR with 1000miles so far. Pain in the butt to take the bike in. Here's a silly question, is there any time limit for this recall....expiration?
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 9:29 am

Dropped mine off at the dealer last night, getting a new stator today. I've never left it overnight anywhere before... My garage felt lonely.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Dropped mine off yesterday and picked it up today. Looks and runs great so far. Like others have said, it felt weird leaving the bike for someone else to service.

Strange that so many WRR owners have reported dealers wanting them to bring the bikes in before ordering the replacement stators. My dealer said they've replaced 10+ stators since the recall notices went out, and that they have several stators on their shelf in anticipation of further bikes coming in. All they asked me to do was "leave it for a day" so they could fit my recall work in around their previously scheduled service work on other bikes. They were politely clear that scheduled service work for paying customers was their top priority. I can respect that.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 8:49 am

My dealer said he has done 8 or 9, and had stators in stock. He said it took about an hour, plus I had state safety inspection done at the same time. Rather than sit around and wait, I dropped it off the evening before and picked it up after work the next day.

He also said that they did not change the oil, which concerned me a little, but I will change it soon anyway. They follow the procedure provided by Yamaha, and that procedure apparently does not say to replace the oil.
Back to top Go down
dogfarm

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 6:52 pm

My dealer said they didn't change the oil either. The service manager didn't know about the oil change, he had to ask the mechanic when I picked up the bike. If I would have known that I would have paid extra to have an oil change at the same time.
Back to top Go down
LasVegasWR

LasVegasWR

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 9:54 am

My dealer wouldn't turn the stator over to me to do the work. I assumed he wanted the opportunity to charge Yamaha for the labor they get paid for warranty work.
Back to top Go down
Zodiac1

Zodiac1

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 5:08 pm

I see two different part numbers for wr250r stators, wondering if there are some old version still being sold.  Anybody know what the part number is for the new Stator, just curious.

Answering my own question......3D7-81410-01-00 appears to be the new one
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 12:58 pm

sbend wrote:
Just got off the phone with Yamaha Canada and they said draining the oil and then putting it back in is an acceptable practice...
Words fail me.
Now I know why my oil filter looked like it had been used to catch pencil sharpener shavings. Probably debris from the bottom of their oil catcher. puke
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 10:11 am

Ziabeam wrote:
sbend wrote:
Just got off the phone with Yamaha Canada and they said draining the oil and then putting it back in is an acceptable practice...
Words fail me.
Now I know why my oil filter looked like it had been used to catch pencil sharpener shavings. Probably debris from the bottom of their oil catcher. puke

I was wondering about that and thinking I should probably change the oil shortly after they did the recall work. I know my oil catch pan is filthy, and I would never ever reuse the oil that was in it.
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 10:21 am

First clue was my oil was still dark when I got it home. Changed it straight away and looked like common gunk in my Scott's stainless filter, nothing alarming. The fresh oil looks great several hundred miles later. Your idea to change it right away AFTER the visit is especially good if you use Yamalube Synthetic, since they won't put anything better than standard Yamalube back in... which would downgrade any premium oil you may have brought it in with.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 1:27 pm

I think they just lean it over, and no oil is spilled. Thats what I've always done when messing on that side of bikes.
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 9:02 pm

Was in Maine this Sunday riding in a turkey run. Saw my check engine light on, then my bike died. Luckily I was heading down a hill that came out on a road. Bike wouldn't start. Like there wasn't enough power to turn it over. I could pop start it but after a minute of riding it would cut out like it wasn't getting fuel. Guess there wasn't enough voltage to run the fuel pump??

I was 21 miles from my truck and this event did not have a chase vehicle. I left the bike and started thumbing... I had zero service on my phone and no real idea how to get to my truck. Luckily someone picked me up pretty quick and new where I needed to go. Thank god.. i was feeling kinda hopeless.. Got to my vehicle then went back 20 miles to pick up my bike.

I dropped the bike off today for the recall. The dealership said it was probably the stator that left me stranded. I was trying to wait for winter. Moral of the story.. Get the new stator. Mine is a '13 with 3000 miles.
Back to top Go down
dartmouth01

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 2:20 pm

Can anyone direct me to how I can check if the previous owner completed the recall service?  I checked safercar.gov and the vin does not show any recall info.  Do I contact a dealer?  FYR, it is a 2008 with the last vin digits of 1725. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
dartmouth01

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 2:44 pm

I called the dealer and answered my own question. The stator recall had not been done, scheduled to have it done tomorrow! They had 9 stators in stock.

dartmouth01 wrote:
Can anyone direct me to how I can check if the previous owner completed the recall service?  I checked safercar.gov and the vin does not show any recall info.  Do I contact a dealer?  FYR, it is a 2008 with the last vin digits of 1725.  Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intent to Recall - overheating stator   Intent to Recall - overheating stator - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Intent to Recall - overheating stator
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next