Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Race tech shock and spring noob questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Shakes

Race tech shock and spring noob questions Empty
PostSubject: Race tech shock and spring noob questions   Race tech shock and spring noob questions EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 7:44 pm

Working my way learning this bike. I brought I essentially sight unseen, but it was cheap enough to cover this sort of thing and I was semi expecting problems.

Apparently it's got racetech valves and uprated springs. Designed around a 80kg rider + bags riding at pace in the desert.

Forks are silky smooth, and move an inch or two under body weight, and full travel when riding hard.

Rear feels fine when riding, haven't been able to find something that forces it to travel. (It doesn't Buck me off or get skittish on corrugated roads and erosion mounds) but when stationary I can barely budge the rear.

Need to measure properly(this has been solo so far) I have approx 3" of unsprung but dampened travel. Then a further .5" sag with me sitting on it. Which from what I can find is in the ballpark.

My question is, with a stiff Spring, and (I'm assuming) fast rebound how much dampening feel and Spring travel can I expect while loading the bike in the driveway?

Is my thinking right that the rebound has been set up internally fast so it doesn't blow through travel on corrugated roads and Desert woops? There is definetely adjustment with the clickers.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Race tech shock and spring noob questions   Race tech shock and spring noob questions EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 5:23 am

Just to get this straight:

1) How much travel is the rear suspension using just sitting there under the bike's own weight with both wheel on the ground?

2) How much rear suspension travel is being used with you sitting on the seat and just touching the ground with your big toe to keep yourself upright?
Back to top Go down
Shakes

PostSubject: Re: Race tech shock and spring noob questions   Race tech shock and spring noob questions EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 am

Just measured. To remove guesstimates.

At full droop from top of axle to pointy bit of indicator
650mm
Under bikes own weight. 605mm
Rider weight. 580mm
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Race tech shock and spring noob questions   Race tech shock and spring noob questions EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 6:49 am

So, that means:

Under only the bike's weight, your rear suspension uses 45mm of travel.

With you on the seat, it uses 70mm of travel.

Correct?

If so, I think your rear shock spring is a bit too stiff for your weight.

The 45mm of travel use under the bike's weight (called "static sag" or "free sag") sounds a bit too much.
Adding your weight to the seat and making the rear suspension compress only an additional 25mm and for a total of 70mm (called "rider sag" or "race sag") doesn't seem like enough.
I'd expect to see around 88mm with you on the seat.

Personally, I'd try a step softer spring.
Back to top Go down
Shakes

PostSubject: Re: Race tech shock and spring noob questions   Race tech shock and spring noob questions EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Excellent. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Shakes

PostSubject: Re: Race tech shock and spring noob questions   Race tech shock and spring noob questions EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 4:25 pm

Found the problem.

Rear linkage had a near seized bearing.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Race tech shock and spring noob questions   Race tech shock and spring noob questions EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 8:07 pm

That'll do it.
Back to top Go down
Shakes

PostSubject: Re: Race tech shock and spring noob questions   Race tech shock and spring noob questions EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Who woulda thought it made that much difference.

Full drop - 670
Static - 625
Rider weight - 560mm

Much closer. Almost need a slightly stiffer Spring once I add 15 kg for a few nights away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Race tech shock and spring noob questions   Race tech shock and spring noob questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Race tech shock and spring noob questions
Page 1 of 1