Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Does my engine sound normal to you?

Go down 
+2
Fiftygrit
softjeans
6 posters
AuthorMessage
softjeans

softjeans

Does my engine sound normal to you? Empty
PostSubject: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? EmptyMon May 02, 2016 10:10 am

Recently I've felt like my bike was vibrating and sounding a bit louder than it should be. I usually ride with ear plugs in and I can't really hear the engine normally, so I'm really not to sure if it's ok or not.

https://youtu.be/UwU0Kq3xMPs

What do you guys think? And I thinking into it too much?
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? EmptyMon May 02, 2016 10:29 am

It does sound different than mine but it could be your pipe, sounds kind of like lifter`s
Back to top Go down
softjeans

softjeans

PostSubject: Re: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? EmptyMon May 02, 2016 10:42 am

Lifter's?

Also forgot to mention I've got 7500 miles on the clock and I'm using 10w-40 semi synthetic.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? EmptyMon May 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Tappet`s, rocker arm`s the little things in the head that open and close your valves. that oil is fine, some use rotella 15-40 and synthetic rotella 5-40 you should not have to do a valve adjust till 25k miles, so they should be in spec.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? EmptyTue May 03, 2016 12:27 am

I think these engines have direct-acting DOHC ie no rockers. Your bike sounds like my engine does when I need to adjust the (manual) camchain tensioner, so your OEM tensioner might be slipping. Other than that, it just sounds like an open airbox is happening. The other clunks and knocks my bike also makes, and it hasn't ever been any different, really. Noisy little sucker. Makes my 72k km TTR250 sound like a new one!
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? EmptyTue May 03, 2016 11:21 am

My bad my age is showing,
Back to top Go down
softjeans

softjeans

PostSubject: Re: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? EmptyTue May 03, 2016 11:53 am

66T wrote:
I think these engines have direct-acting DOHC ie no rockers. Your bike sounds like my engine does when I need to adjust the (manual) camchain tensioner, so your OEM tensioner might be slipping. Other than that, it just sounds like an open airbox is happening. The other clunks and knocks my bike also makes, and it hasn't ever been any different, really. Noisy little sucker. Makes my 72k km TTR250 sound like a new one!

Ok cheers this is good to know, I'll look into that. This bike has been such a learning curve for me.
Back to top Go down
Gmfm86

PostSubject: Re: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 9:39 pm

softjeans wrote:
66T wrote:

Ok cheers this is good to know, I'll look into that. This bike has been such a learning curve for me.

Any update to your issue? Mine makes the same noise
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2016 9:50 am

I think mine sounds similar but honestly I think it may be normal. Other than that the cam chain tensioner may be the culprit....
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2016 10:35 am

Same here. I was paranoid a while back because it didn't sound like this when new (at least not in my memory) but when I had the valves checked for 40k km last year I explicitly asked if the cam chain was still good because it sounds like the sound is coming from that area (and knowing that some people had some problems here with cam chains and tensioners etc). He said it was good, (valves were still in check), so I just kept going. My engine has been "noisier" for at least 10k km now, no problems so far.

It just freaks me out sometimes riding close to a guardrail or car at speed, the sound will reflect straight into my helmet and I hear it much louder than it actually is. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does my engine sound normal to you?   Does my engine sound normal to you? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does my engine sound normal to you?
Page 1 of 1