Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Qicker306

2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price Empty
PostSubject: 2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price   2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price EmptyMon May 30, 2016 3:10 pm

I recently picked up a 2008 WR250X off the original owner for $1600 CAD (~$1200 USD).

The supermoto tires have been swapped with Kenda K270s and judging by the bikes condition most of it's 11000 km (~7000 mi) have been offroad. Aside from the tires and a set of Renthal bars everything is stock. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and doing some much needed general maintenance. I figure for the price I paid it's well worth putting a little time and money into.

Currently in progess:
- oil and filter change
- new chain and sprockets
- new chain slider
- repair swing arm chain groove
- clean leaky fork seal
- new air filter
- remove decals and clean up plastics
- new spark plug
- flush rad
- DRC LED tail and signal lights
- re-upholster the seat
- clean and lube as necessary

With EFI it's nice not to have to worry about cleaning the carb or tuning it. The bike starts and runs perfect. After this initial round of maintenance and new parts I plan on making the most of it and riding it offroad as much as possible. It's not a new bike and looks the part so I have no reason to baby it, I plan on making use of the 11500 RPM redline.

Look forward to the wealth of knowledge available on this forum.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price   2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price EmptyMon May 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Sounds great.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to change the fork oil and fork slide bushings and have the rear shock serviced.
Lube the chassis bearings, too.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price   2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price EmptyTue May 31, 2016 4:36 pm

Yeah, swingarm and linkage will definitely need servicing. I'd buy a complete bearingkit before tearing it apart.
Back to top Go down
Qicker306

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price   2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price EmptyTue May 31, 2016 10:10 pm

I've since removed the linkage and swingarm. The damage to the swingarm from the chain is worse than expected. It essentially wore through and has damaged the bearing. I will be getting the grove TIG welded back to full wall thickness, my only concern is dealing with the weld that will inevitably penetrate to the inside. Hopefully I can get away with filing and die grinding to clean up the inside of the bore without having to take it to a machine shop. The other 3 bearings and all the seals seem to be in good shape, I see no need to replace them all yet. After this seasons riding I will disassemble and check and decide then if I want to replace the whole works as it all comes apart in only a few minutes and is an excuse to clean and re-grease all the linkage and swingarm bearings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price   2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price Empty

Back to top Go down

2008 WR250X Well Worth It For The Price
Page 1 of 1