Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dicklane625

dicklane625

Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring? Empty
PostSubject: Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring?   Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring? EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 10:55 pm

I just monkied with my pre load. I had it set about 86mm/3.375" with gear, now it's at 93mm/3.625". Should I worry about the static sag though? I've read it should be 25mm-35mm, some places list up to 45mm, some say to shoot for 25mm. Before and after my adjustment the static was 1 3/8" or 35mm. But all Yamaha says about the wrr preload is the spring measurement, 8.5-8.11" with standard being 8.33. Right now I'm at 8.25" on a tape measure, so maybe mine came a little a tight, or the dealer adjusted it, but according to Yamaha I could loosen that up another quarter inch n be fine. But I'm right at the 35mm boarder for static sag I've seen suggested most places, that aren't bike specific... Dunno if I should listen to Yamaha or if there's a percentage of static sag I should shoot for. I've read it's 33% for race sag...

I'm just wondering what it will start to feel like when it's too loose, not enough preload. I loosened it cause I read it will make ruts easier to deal with. It is easier to deal with them now, and the rear kicks out faster/further on gravel corners. I'm debating on raising it back up in the rear on the stock adjustment now too. If I take more off some preload and like it I'll defiantly try it.

I'd like to try n get the rear hooked up better if possible. It almost looses all traction on washboard, but it won't kick out either. Also doesn't feel like it's packing, I don't know if the stock shock can get packy... Kinda a weird feeling when I hit it. Dunno if anyone knows what will cause that?
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring?   Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring? EmptySun Jul 02, 2017 4:41 pm

Rule of thumb is 10% static, 30% rider sag.

Adjust a bit to your liking, I often set mine up just a hair looser.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring?   Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring? EmptyTue Jul 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Yes, you should be worried about static sag. Preload adjustment is a means of fine-tuning within the working range of the current spring. Once race sag is set (typically around 1/3 of suspension travel, or ~90mm for the WRR) then static sag (typically 10% of suspension travel) indicates whether the spring rate is ideal for the weight of rider + gear. If race sag is good and static sag is low then the spring is too soft. If race sag is good and static sag is high then the spring is too stiff.

The commonly accepted guidelines of 33% and 10% are good starting points. But most important is to understand the relationship between both measurements.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring?   Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring? EmptyTue Jul 04, 2017 9:52 pm

I only weigh 160 soakin wet. I ride with minimal gear, I have a goal to get some gear, but everything I've bought so far is crap and didn't go a month before a zipper shit the bed or somethin broke or ripped... I'd guess me, helmet, n minimal tools weigh in at 170 tops. I thought the stock spring was good til 190. I have checked with race tech n I think they said my ideal spring is a 8.3, stock is 8.2, n theirs jump from 8.0 to 8.5 so it seems I should deal with this one.

I also found one of Travis's old posts saying, the front sag should be 40mm, and plan on checkin that out.

I've monkied with everything, different combos of this n that, the current setup is better than anything else I've tried. This didn't change that much, but now my front doesn't bounce off the wall of ruts, it'll climb right out. The rear tends to spin n stay in the rut, but that can be fun, if I get hooked up it pops right out.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring?   Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring? EmptySat Jul 08, 2017 9:05 am

Run the spring as soft as you can until you get the shock revalved.
If its too low in the rear use the height adjuster to raise it back up.
The shock needs 50-60% more rebound valving, running the spring with as little preload as possible helps slow the rebound a little which helps but doesn't cure the problem. You don't have much traction on washboard because the rear tire doesn't stay on the ground much in those conditions with the stock pogo stick of a shock.

You didn't mention rebound or compression settings but the rebound needs to be on max slow (3 clicks out from bottomed out clockwise) and set the compression to your liking anywhere from 5-12 clicks out.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring?   Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring? EmptySun Jul 23, 2017 3:55 pm

I've been meaning to check my notebook... I do remember setting the damping clicker to 6 so I wasn't maxed and had some play left if I needed it... I have been planning on going through my clickers again, and readjusting based off some general instructions I found for setup. I have them saved somewhere, the guy says to set front dampin first than front comp., rear damp followed by rear comp... Not sure if it's gonna get much better than how I have it set now. When I do it I'll probably try the rear dampin on 3...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring?   Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring? Empty

Back to top Go down

Static vs race sag, might be too light for for stock spring?
Page 1 of 1