Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
peterjfox69

WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR Empty
PostSubject: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyFri Apr 17, 2020 1:30 am

Hi guys, just signed up to the forum.  I'm based in the UK where you can't buy these bikes new!  Very annoying.
I'm looking to convert a 2012 WRX to WRR, can you give me the options please including all bits required etc.
From my understanding it's : wheels (can you give me sizes please and tyres), front brake caliper and disc (rotor) and side stand.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Matt365

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptySat Apr 18, 2020 12:00 pm

You should just be able to swap your x rotor onto the r rim.

A lot of R riders swap over the rotor and calipers from the x to have a 298mm rotor.

You should just need the r rims and the sidestand.
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptySat Apr 18, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi Matt,
thanks for getting back to me. I was under the understanding that I needed to fit the R caliper as the mounting is different due to X?
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptySat Apr 18, 2020 12:17 pm

that should have read different to the X
Back to top Go down
Matt365

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 11:00 am

I have a set of r rims for my x with an x rotor fitted.

A common upgrade to the r is to fit the 298mm rotor, caliper mounting bracket, and x caliper.

Works the other way too.
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 1:24 am

Just picked up a 2012 WRX.
So am I correct in thinking I just need to purchase a set os 21/18 wheels and use the disc and caliper from the X?
Any changes required to either front or rear sprocket?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 1:39 am

I'm looking for a set of 21/18 enduro wheels now. I'm based in the UK so most probably this is going to end here but if anybody knows of anything out there it would be good to know.
I'm hoping to get to Austin TX in October for the F1 race so if anyone has anything I could take a loom at then or before via photos that would be cool.
Any tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks thumb
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 3:15 am

Any suggestions re windshield?
I have seen these two ideas? One is the Slipstreamer Spitfire and the other Pro Car Parts screen. Can't post links yet as I haven't been ammeter for more than 7 days!
Anyone tried either of these?
Anybody can think of another?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
woofer2609

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 am

Hi PeterJFox69, I have owned a few X's and R's.
The rotor bolt spacing is different on the X hub and the R hub.
You can buy a set of Warp 9 18/21" rims with an X sized rotor, or buy a 300 mm rotor with R bolt spacing and attach to a set of R wheels you buy elsewhere. Warp 9 are great to talk to, just phone them.
You are correct in everything else. The fork guards on the X should work fine with a 21" wheel, so no need to change those. I don't think it works the other way; you can't use R fork guards with an X rotor ( I can't remember what rubs...the rotor maybe. Something does though!)
Kickstand is nice to have the R one, but I went years with the X one and 18/21" wheels.
Essentially, get a set of Warp 9 wheels and call it a day, get a kickstand later if you feel you need it.
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
If I decide to go with the smaller disc on the front will a Kawasaki kx250f front caliper fit. They seem to be cheaper and the same caliper!
I’d use the R front wheel for that of course.
Back to top Go down
woofer2609

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Not sure about using another caliper, you could just buy a larger warp 9 rotor that fits the r rotor spacing and use the X caliper you have. The Warp 9's are probably just as cheap in the long run.
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 3:02 am

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback.
What is the difference in size between the x disc and r disc (haven't picked the bike up yet due to the lockdown here in the UK!).
If I wanted to fit the smaller disc to R wheel I would have to get a new caliper/bracket correct.
If I wanted to use the disc I have on the X would it fit R wheels or would I have to use the X hub?
I'm reading that the bigger disc could be an issue off road?
I already have a WR250F which I use off road, the purchase of the X is to convert to the R so I can ride on the TET here in Europe.
I have a Tiger 800 XCX for long road/off road trips.
Back to top Go down
woofer2609

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 5:45 pm

peterjfox69 wrote:
What is the difference in size between the x disc and r disc (haven't picked the bike up yet due to the lockdown here in the UK!).298mm vs 250mm
If I wanted to fit the smaller disc to R wheel I would have to get a new caliper/bracket correct.Yes, correct.
If I wanted to use the disc I have on the X would it fit R wheels or would I have to use the X hub?X rotor will not bolt onto R hub.
I'm reading that the bigger disc could be an issue off road?Not true. I've got 35,000km's on mine, some in the rockiest crap I could find. Bike gets used as a dirtbike. Never an issue
I already have a WR250F which I use off road, the purchase of the X is to convert to the R so I can ride on the TET here in Europe.
I've owned 3 of these bikes. The Warp 9 set of wheels is in the long run, the cheapest, easiest way to go for me. It uses an X dia. rotor with the R bolt spacing. If you manage to find a cheap set of R wheels, order just the disc from Warp 9. I tried messing with calipers and such, but it's a pain in the butt for me, and if you want to be exact, note that if you switch calipers, the master cylinders on X's and R's are different.
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 1:46 am

woofer2609 wrote:
peterjfox69 wrote:
What is the difference in size between the x disc and r disc (haven't picked the bike up yet due to the lockdown here in the UK!).298mm vs 250mm
If I wanted to fit the smaller disc to R wheel I would have to get a new caliper/bracket correct.Yes, correct.
If I wanted to use the disc I have on the X would it fit R wheels or would I have to use the X hub?X rotor will not bolt onto R hub.
I'm reading that the bigger disc could be an issue off road?Not true. I've got 35,000km's on mine, some in the rockiest crap I could find. Bike gets used as a dirtbike. Never an issue
I've owned 3 of these bikes. The Warp 9 set of wheels is in the long run, the cheapest, easiest way to go for me. It uses an X dia. rotor with the R bolt spacing. If you manage to find a cheap set of R wheels, order just the disc from Warp 9. I tried messing with calipers and such, but it's a pain in the butt for me, and if you want to be exact, note that if you switch calipers, the master cylinders on X's and R's are different.

Great, thanks again for the info.

What issue is there with the master cylinder out of interest?
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 1:48 am

peterjfox69 wrote:
woofer2609 wrote:
peterjfox69 wrote:

Great, thanks again for the info.

What issue is there with the master cylinder out of interest?

Also, re sprockets, anything I need to know?
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 3:05 am

WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR Screen-Shot-2020-04-22-at-07.49.17

This is available on ebay.  It's a 21in front wheel from a WR250R.  It looks like the R rotor.  I don't think an X rotor would fit so what would I need to fit the X rotor.  Another hub or a X rotor with R mounting holes?

If I went with this rotor I would need an R or equivalent caliper (do you know of another bikes that fit) would I need another bracket for the caliper?  What would be the issue with the master brake cylinder as they are different?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Matt365

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyThu Apr 23, 2020 11:57 am

Just buy a 298mm rotor that fits the r-rim.

Mine is a Warp 9 rotor on an R wheel.

I didn't realize there was a bolt pattern difference between the wheels.

Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 3:13 am

[quote="Matt365"]Just buy a 298mm rotor that fits the r-rim.

Mine is a Warp 9 rotor on an R wheel.

I didn't realize there was a bolt pattern difference between the wheels.

Thanks Matt.
Back to top Go down
LPB

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyMon Apr 27, 2020 2:39 pm

I have a brand new disk that fits to the R wheel and fits the X caliper.
I also have a an R front wheel if that helps.
I am in the UK,
Lloyd
Back to top Go down
peterjfox69

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptyWed Apr 29, 2020 5:40 am

LPB wrote:
I am in the UK,
Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,
tried to PM you but no reply so not sure if it worked? What condition and colour is the wheel, do you have a rear wheel? Prices?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
LPB

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR EmptySun Jul 26, 2020 7:33 am

peterjfox69 wrote:
LPB wrote:
I am in the UK,
Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,
tried to PM you but no reply so not sure if it worked?  What condition and colour is the wheel, do you have a rear wheel?  Prices?
Thanks

Sorry for delayed response, I only have the front wheel, silver, excellent condition and the new disk to fit the 21 inch R wheel to the X without changing the caliper.
I cant seem to load the pics - PM me your email if you are still interested.
Lloyd
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR   WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250X CONVERSION TO WR25OR
Page 1 of 1